Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the name of the cable needed to plug i pod into the jeep stereo?

I want to pick one up cheap off e bay but kind figure out what kind of cable it is, what are the end pugs called??

anyone know???

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Are you talking about just plugging into the aux jack or do you have the Mygig with the Ipod controller? It's it's the regular radio with the aux jack all you need is a double mini plug. You can get that at BestBuy for $6.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
You can only charge an I pod with a USB cable. the 3.5mm jack just transfers audio.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I can't see e-bay at work. If your radio has a USB port and lists it is compatable with your ipod you can use just the USB cord. If your radio just has the 3.5mm aux plug you will need a 3.5mm to 3.5 mm cable and whatever you use to charge an ipod in the car.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you're using the stock stereo, you only need 1/8" male to 1/8" male cable and it will NOT charge the iPod.

That cable in the 2nd eBay link will not be useful to you at all.

If you want to charge the iPod, I suggest get a power inverter that you can plug into the 12v outlet in the dash. You can plug other devises into it as well, so it makes more sense to get that than a car charger for your phone, a car charger for an iPod, etc etc...

You can find both the cable and inverter at Radio Shack

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't find the link now but if you have a RES (I think) you need a Module to let the Ipod control through the radio, I think it was $120. I'd just as well buy a new radio with those abilities built in tbh.

I rather have control with the ipod anyway. I just use the headphone jack and plug in aux.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to tell you guys, I have never plugged a i pod into a car before, and I am a little confused, see I believe the stereo on my 2011 wrangler JK has a aux port and a usb port....
if it is true that like with my computer if I plug the i pod into the usb port, it will charge the i pod that is awesome,
if it also plays music using this cable you know the one that came with the i pod, that you use to plug into your computer,
if that in fact will charge and allow music to play that's great,
then I don't need a aux cable, I can't see how I would need both, but if the usb won't charge the i pod, than why the two wire ports on the stock nav screen jeep stereo.

oh and sorry but I don't know what I gig is, do you have a link?

and an sorry but I don't know what I gig is. got a link??

So I guess the question here is will the usb port on the stero charge your I pod. 2011 owners love to hear what you think about this.

I am also not so into having a dock station on holder for the i pod they look bulky and cheap, and out of place. just a wire is all I want to connect the I pod up..

I hope now people can see what I am getting at. Look forward to hearing hat you all think, thanks.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
If you have an 11 you should have and ipod connector in your center console .the usb on your head unit is for tranfering media files to your mygig radio thats if you have a mygig radio . And if you want like daggo said just get the cable from best buy and you can play any media player through it .there are youtube videos that will show you the basics

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have an 11 you should have and ipod connector in your center console .the usb on your head unit is for tranfering media files to your mygig radio thats if you have a mygig radio . And if you want like daggo said just get the cable from best buy and you can play any media player through it .there are youtube videos that will show you the basics

oh so that usb and aux port on the stereo are not for plugging the i pod into good to know

the usb port in the center console is what you plug your i pod into, ok
so I can use the standard cable that came with my i pod, that plugs into the bottom of the i pod. cool

but will it also charge my i pod, like it does when I use this cable to plug into my computer????

the other part is I have not got my jeep yet it is still being built in the factory

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Ohh didnt realize you didnt have your jeep yet im not sure if the connector in the console will charge it but im sure someone will chime in on the info .if your getting the mygig radio its a nice radio i have the uconnect built in mine (bluetooth hands free) you can answer the phone right from the radio .You joined the right forum here just do some searches on any ? And if you cant find a answer someone here will know ,congrats on your jeep and dont forget to waive

1 - 18 of 18 Posts