Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

what callipers do I have

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Black Magic Brakes 
#1 ·
So I went to pep boys and they said they had two listings. One steel piston and the other is phelonic or something like that. I have an 06 lj 6 speed.
I don't want to take these things off then run to the part store.
Any one know which is which?

#3 ·
What is wrong with the calipers that are on your '06?

#5 ·
Oh. I was just curious. I have never heard those terms before, but my 04 calipers are still working great.

There is a brake wizard on this forum that hopefully will see your question and offer some help. I have his brakes on my Jeep and could not be happier.

and....bump to the top.:thumb:

#9 ·
I see very few steel piston TJ calipers. The vast majority are phenolic and typically preferred due to their stability and resistance to corrosion.

Given a choice, I'll pick phenolic.

Yes, phenolic is a fancy name for plastic. Kevlar is a fancy name for an aramid fiber, you know, that stuff they make bulletproof panels and body armor from. Both are polymers or derived from polymerization.

#10 ·
It's not the pistons sticking. It's the sliders ! The shafts the bolts go through. With the rubber boots. I've tried every thing to free mine up and just gave up. In the spring in swapping them with the the older style off of a 97 to 01 The sliders are much better quality.

#11 ·
It's not the pistons sticking. It's the sliders ! The shafts the bolts go through. With the rubber boots. I've tried every thing to free mine up and just gave up. In the spring in swapping them with the the older style off of a 97 to 01 The sliders are much better quality.
The guide sleeves and bolts and rubber dust boots are identical from 1990-2006 as are the calipers and brake pads. Plus the same parts fit the ZJ, several years of the XJ, MJ, and YJ.

Try cleaning them, and then use the silicone brake parts lube, but first make sure your bolts aren't bent slightly. That will cause them to be out of alignment and make the caliper bind and not slide freely.

#12 ·
Not true!!! What year TJ do you have?? I have an 06. And the calipers I have in my garage are totally different than the ones I have on my 06. As far as the sliders go. Trust me ! If you have taken them apart and looked at them they are significantly different!!!!!!

#14 ·
Not true!!! What year TJ do you have?? I have an 06. And the calipers I have in my garage are totally different than the ones I have on my 06. As far as the sliders go. Trust me ! If you have taken them apart and looked at them they are significantly different!!!!!!
What year do I have? :rofl: I have a 99, a 2000, a 2001, and a 2004. Along with them, I have removed and replaced very likely in the hundreds of calipers doing brake swaps for folks over the years and on the property right now probably have 10 sets of calipers from various years and that doesn't include the new ones we sell when folks can't find good replacements.

We also source and supply guide sleeve and dust boot hardware kits because we'd had some requests for them due to folks bending the bolts.

I tell you what though, later today, I'll go through the core pile, which I know contains some earlier calipers and see if I can find any that are different. It's possible there are some, so I won't say it's not until I can prove it, but as of right now, there is no part number I can order to get sleeves with 2 piece boots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.