Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this was the situation I was in yesterday when I am 95% sure I blew a tranny cooler line. What could have caused this to happen? Does the pump pressure rise as RPM's get higher? Also I was in 4HI so can high RPM's and being in 4WD be another culprit? Im just trying to get some opinions so I can avoid this from happening again!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was after getting through this point I started smelling burning oil. Before this I was only on a dirt trail with no obstacles and no smell of oil. So being that I could not physically see at what point I blew the line, I can only try and pinpoint at what point I blew it. So 95% lol

·
Knows a couple things...
49,722 Posts
If one of the transmission lines blew, your transmission would have pumped out all of the transmission's ATF. Check your transmission's ATF level to verify. And just double-checking, you do have an automatic transmission right? The manual transmission doesn't have a cooler.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes its an auto, and it spit all the ATF everywhere. It ruptured on the return line from the cooler where the hose slips over the outlet. I had to pull over and call a tow truck because I noticed the tranny started to slip.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,722 Posts
At least that's an easy fix. And no it's not common but any hose like is used there can split. You might even be able to just just the split off & put it back onto the cooler fitting if it split there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is all fixed and the Jeep is running again, I just didnt know if I it was caused by me over revving.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
You might even be able to just just the split off & put it back onto the cooler fitting if it split there.
If you don't know how to "just just," a new hose will only set you back about $2.

And as I think about it, I would recommend forgetting "just just" altogether and buying 3 ft of new transmission hose and replacing both sides now, before history repeats itself.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
use a good quality hose ( made for gas and oil ) with reinforcing threads in it. Make sure it does not run near the exhaust,which will harden it and let it split

·
Registered
22,156 Posts
I probbely would of been in 4 low on something like that...yeah its nothing hard but the lower gearing just seems to help..only time I really ever use 4 high is in the snow on the street..

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tried 4LO, my tires just got caked with mud so went to 4HI for faster wheel spin to clear the treads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
baker3 said:
So this was the situation I was in yesterday when I am 95% sure I blew a tranny cooler line. What could have caused this to happen? Does the pump pressure rise as RPM's get higher? Also I was in 4HI so can high RPM's and being in 4WD be another culprit? Im just trying to get some opinions so I can avoid this from happening again!!
So you're not sure if you blew the line? Yes, the higher your RPM's are, the higher the pressure inside your transmission. Regardless if you were in 4HI, 4LO or pulling a trailer up a hill, your tranny is going to be under stress and the pressure inside fluctuates. If the line "blew" it was most likely due to it being loose to begin with. Anyone been tinkering under your Jeep lately? If no one has replaced a line or been doing work to the tranny lately, I would then suspect that something hit the line. Possibly a rock flung up from your tire or a strong stick, maybe even a metal pole that you didn't see in the ground. But that would be easy to identify as you would see a gash or rupture point in the line. If it came off clean with no breaks or gashes, it was loose. It wont come off just cuz you we're wheeling too hard or had a heavy load on it trust me.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It didn't come off, it blew a hole right where the hose connects to the radiator on the return side. I was positive I blew the line but as the post says, I was 95% sure that as I was attempting to get out of that situation is when I blew the line. No one had messed around under the Jeep but as Jerry said, the hose was old and was bound to rupture.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh hose rupture. For some reason I thought you said the line from the tranny was where it ruptured, so I was thinking it was the hard line...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.