Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the jeep for a little bit but this was the first time it happened. It started doing it when I was around 55mph and didn't stop til I got down to around 25-30 mph

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Isn't it caused be an improper lift and suspension on the short wheel base causing an imbalance once hitting a pot hole etc. at high speed as the suspension keeps oscillating trying to compensate for the high speed shifting of the weight left and right. I have never experienced one in a car but did have a speed wobble(tank slapper) on a Yamaha R6 at 180kmh and that scared the living shit out of me. My legs came of the pegs and I got thrown back and forth as the bike did vigorous high speed dives back side to side and the only thing that got me out of it was squeezing as hard as I could with me knees to hang on and letting off on the throttle. I came out at a 130kmh and had to pull over and lay on the side of the road for 20 mins cause it felt like I got run over by a truck and my heart was about to protrude from my chest. :p. And it was all because the front tire lifted a bit as I shifted into 4th and hit a crack in the asphalt that set it in motion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine happened right when I came off a overpass so maybe that bump from the bridge to asphalt did it. It scared the shit out of me cause it has never happened before

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
No doubt lol. Can be very dangerous. I notice from your sig that your jeep is lifted pretty high with narrow tires and stance. I wonder if wider tires or wheel spacers might help a bit.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mine happened right when I came off a overpass so maybe that bump from the bridge to asphalt did it. It scared the shit out of me cause it has never happened before
I had a missing balance weight on a tire and the DW kicked in twice from a bump on the highway a few years ago. To this day i still death grip the steering wheel and tense up when i see a bump on the highway or go over the bridge line....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had death wobble experience in my XJ. I was stumped I had to take it to the best alignment guy in town he was also stumped. turned out it was a busted radial in a tire. it would only happen if I hit a bump at the right time or angle. I could get the wobble to stop when I backed down under 25 mph and sometimes I would have to totally stop. it was a huge pain in the ass

(tank slapper) on a Yamaha R6 at 180kmh and that scared the living shit out of me. My legs came of the pegs and I got thrown back and forth as the bike did vigorous high speed dives back side to side and the only thing that got me out of it was squeezing as hard as I could with me knees to hang on and letting off on the throttle. I came out at a 130kmh and had to pull over and lay on the side of the road for 20 mins cause it felt like I got run over by a truck and my heart was about to protrude from my chest. :p. And it was all because the front tire lifted a bit as I shifted into 4th and hit a crack in the asphalt that set it in motion.
LOL I did the same thing on a 1999 R6 with my wife on the back (GF at the time) we had to sit in a gas station parking lot for half an hour I'm pretty sure my heart stopped for a moment

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The only time I felt it was not on a jeep and it was caused by improper wheel balance, my edges had worn from cornering.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
My old XJ track bar bracket was very loose and that caused a very scary death wobble. As far as my YJ goes, the only cause of death wobble was a bad steering stabilizer

·
Registered
98 Posts
your sway bar is probably not connected if you have one at all. I've never experienced a death wobble with the sway bar hooked up. but once I disconnect it wobbles on every bump it hits. I kind of like it actually; makes the ride more interesting hahaha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts