Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm pretty new to TJ's but here are a few that really tick me off.........

Cheap doors......they split the sheetmetal and the strap pin bends easy.

Wiring......mopar used under gauged wire thru out the vehicle. I discovered the cig lighter circuit will burn up before the factory fuse will blow(spotlight)

Transmission.....I have the NV3550 and it is the worst manual transmission I have EVER had. The feel is like a sloppy noodle and the syncros are almost ruined at 160k miles. I owned a 97 2.5/5 speed and a 97 4.0/5 speed with NO trans issues whatsoever.

To be fair the transmisson could be subjective as I have no idea how abused it was before.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Even with those things...still more awesome than a brand new Prius! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
ok well the doors were never meant to do anything anyways. It even says so on the warning at the top that talks about how my softtop will not save me. It's a very basic vehicle designed to get shit done not be a comfortable safety car. Tranny I've never had an issue and hear good things about it. Wiring, I can't really say. I do think that jeep uses this "rugged basic machine" idea to get away with quality stuff. But I'm happy with what I got in a TJ.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The 42rle transmission has a plastic piece that holds the linkage to the actual gear shifter on the tranny. That little pos broke off without warning and left me confused as hell on why I couldn't go I gear. I fixed it with zip ties at first and then did a little hardware store engineering. All fixed, no problems now, but it seems there could have been a better way from the factory.

Personally the glove box, center console, and the locks for those feel cheap too.

All things aside I still love my jeep!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The splitting in the door is because they didn't re inforce with cross broke sheet metal and they didn't properly vent the hard top........when the door gets slammed shut the door flexs big time due the cab being a sealed box.
I know it has those tiny vents on the side but they are useless at releasing air quick enough when you shut the door.

I just push the door shut with my shoulder cuz I know better but a horrible design non the less.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Plastic piece of crap that holds the clutch pedal and push rod together. Cotter key or c clip anything but palstic

Mud

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
There is no vehicle manufactured that comes from the factory with out some type of stupidness built into it. :thumb:

·
Registered
274 Posts
for the trans flush and change the fluid, I did mine in my 04tj with redline mtl and the marble sound is gone and so far 1st gear has not been giving me problem with the cold weather here in chicago.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
JEFFERY just sell your Wrangler and be done with it all.

and have a blast in your new Honda. those things have no cheap stuff in them.

·
Registered
496 Posts
MarkGLHS said:
JEFFERY just sell your Wrangler and be done with it all.

and have a blast in your new Honda. those things have no cheap stuff in them.
Nah just have to slowly replace what you don't like about it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had ax-15 that first gear went out of.replaced it with the 3550 and have had no issues . throw out bearing is loud while at idle but from what I read thats normal.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts