Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount a small electronic display to the driver's side freedom top panel and decided that using neodymium magnets was the best solution so I could remove the display when I wanted to remove the freedom top panels.

Thing is... I dont know what would be the best way to mount/adhere the magnets to the panel so that they are rock-solidly in place. I dont think regular adhesives would work since it gets so hot where I live and the display's mounting bracket is a bit heavy.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
dont use velcro lol. otherwise youll have a goop smear all over your jeep. Trust me, I know from prior experience

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you want it to be permanent, I suggest Two-Part Epoxy. You can pick it up at almost any big box store (WalMart, Home Depot, etc.).

I prefer the one in the syringe that mixes itself as you squeeze it out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gorilla Glue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not gorilla glue! it is a polyurethane based glue, will not stick the way you want it too. A good epoxy is a way better bet and it is clear, or at least can be. make sure to use acetone or denatured alcohol on the top first to clean it and mildly scuff with 220 or 150 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
you could always try mounting the to rollbar. that might do what you want. lots of companies make clamp mounts

·
Registered
517 Posts
For mounting the magnets I second the use of epoxy. I would recommend taking the freedom panel out so you can place it upside down and let the epoxy set over night.

I would be concerned though using magnets to mount anything of significant weight. It may hold just fine under most conditions, but in an accident it will probably let loose and the display will become a flying hazard to anyone inside the Jeep. I would look at the RAM mounts as they have all sorts of mounts that can be easily modified. You could either find a mount that would clamp to the roll bar as suggested above or even screw into the freedom panel. I just ordered a bunch of separate parts to make a secure cell phone mount for my Nexus 6.

Here is a link to all of their separate components...

http://www.rammount.com/components

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not gorilla glue! it is a polyurethane based glue, will not stick the way you want it too. A good epoxy is a way better bet and it is clear, or at least can be. make sure to use acetone or denatured alcohol on the top first to clean it and mildly scuff with 220 or 150 grit sandpaper.
Actually.....Gorilla Glue has an Epoxy formula!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I wouldn't mount anything to the freedom panel personally. +1 on looking at roll bar mounts.
lol yah those suckers already leak enough! no need to keep drillin holes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts