Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed an OEM soft top that I bought last week (had to wait for the roll bar brackets to arrive) and here is how it is fitting.

What did I do wrong?

This is the first time I've ever put a soft top on a Jeep. Everything seems to be in the correct places. I'm lost...

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And is there an easier way to get these tops on and off (or up and down)?

Do you need to remove all three of the windows to put it down as the zippers are a real PITA?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Looks like you are missing the door surrounds. These would be plastic frames that go around the door. These frames have a channel that the lip of the soft top fits into. A flap on the pre '11 tops. A groove for a cable on the '11 and later ones.

Those same surrounds have a channel that the leading edge of the side windows fit into.

Bob K.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The door surrounds are installed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We have a 2 door so I can't help you with the 4 door fitting issue. All I can tell you is that you HAVE to take al 3 windows out to fold the top down. If you don't, you will damage the windows and it will never fold down properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It may just require stretching. When I first installed my top, I had another person push from the top while pulled the tabs of the top into the groove.

I don't know if that helps, if you feel that the top is too tight for the tabs to go into the grooves let it stretch out as is and try again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Interested to see where this goes as well. I don't think I installed the leading edge of my side windows correctly unto the door surrounds.

I kinda just pushed the edge against the door surround and quickly close the rear doors. I couldn't make out a channel where this edge could've fit into.

This is what I get for not viewing the video.

See below where my dumb ass just let it sit on the door surround and not in any channel.

image-2990314071.jpg

·
Registered
449 Posts
Interested to see where this goes as well. I don't think I installed the leading edge of my side windows correctly unto the door surrounds.

I kinda just pushed the edge against the door surround and quickly close the rear doors. I couldn't make out a channel where this edge could've fit into.

This is what I get for not viewing the video.

See below where my dumb ass just let it sit on the door surround and not in any channel.
Yeah, looks wrong. That part is supposed to go in that crack in the surround towards the front of the jeep. If that makes sense.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I'd also like to know what year is that soft-top from. There was a change in 2010 I believe.

--------

Side windows....yes...they need to wrap around another 90 degrees.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What year is the soft top for/from? New or used top? Can you please take a pic like the 2nd one but with the doors open?
Top is used off of a 2008 - it is the OEM top. My Jeep is a 2010.

I will post pics later tonight as my wife has it at work now.

Temp was 72 & Sunny when it was installed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd also like to know what year is that soft-top from. There was a change in 2010 I believe.
If I am correct, the window size changed in the 2011+ soft tops. Everything else remained the same.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, the door surrounds are kind of "pulling up" towards the top. There is about a 1/4" gap at the bottom of the rear door surround and they are screwed in tight. You can see how they are up (not directly over the door seal) in in picture #3.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
If I am correct, the window size changed in the 2011+ soft tops. Everything else remained the same.
Something with the cable system changed prior to 2011...but I can't remember exactly what or when.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What year is the soft top for/from? New or used top? Can you please take a pic like the 2nd one but with the doors open?
Here you go. Pic #1 how the surround is up off the body.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doors open.

I don't know why when I post pics from my iPhone they upload sideways or upside down.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Are the surrounds from an 08? in 2009 they changed the top to a cable style system that pulls the top down onto the surrounds. 2007-2008 surrounds require you to tuck the fabric into the surrounds (called drip rail retainers i believe). The pieces that are sticking out have to be tucked into the surround, sorta like how the bottom of the side windows are tucked into the tub.

edit: check out this video (retainers shown at 0:09)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xuo5rdEX48

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is tucked into the rails correctly. Yes, the rails are from the 2008.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Are the surrounds from an 08? in 2009 they changed the top to a cable style system that pulls the top down onto the surrounds. 2007-2008 surrounds require you to tuck the fabric into the surrounds (called drip rail retainers i believe). The pieces that are sticking out have to be tucked into the surround, sorta like how the bottom of the side windows are tucked into the tub.

edit: check out this video (retainers shown at 0:09)

OPERATING A SOFT TOP UNLIMITED 4 DOOR JEEP WRANGLER - YouTube
Thanks...that is what I was thinking of. The cable change was in 2009.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts