Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 jkr
3.5" lift, front lower CAs

So today I switched my shocks to fox 2.0s and added a rock krawler adjustable track bar. When driving it when I corner or brake I got a lot of shaking in the steering wheel and my brake peddle felt like something was grinding (possibly abs kicking in for some reason).

After getting it back to the garage I noticed I am now toed out pretty bad, but I never changed anything on the tie rod. Also the tie rod is fully adjusted in so I can't correct the toe that way.

What's going on and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Also, how did you select what length to set your new track bar to?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arms have been on for a while With no problems. I set them to rock krawlers recommend length for a 3.5" lift.

The track bar I measured how off center I was with the stock bar on (1-1/2"), divided that by two (3/4") and made the new track bar 3/4" longer than the stock bar.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure those measurements are correct I just used them as an example. I don't remember what the real measurements were off the top of my head.

Also yes it is definitely toed out by over an inch. It's pretty bad. Like never touched the tie rod though so I'm not sure how that happened

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Arms have been on for a while With no problems. I set them to rock krawlers recommend length for a 3.5" lift.

The track bar I measured how off center I was with the stock bar on (1-1/2"), divided that by two (3/4") and made the new track bar 3/4" longer than the stock bar.
As KJeeper said is your steering wheel not centered? Adjusting the trackbar will throw off the steering.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Realigned the steering wheel with the drag link but haven't driven it yet after. I'm still toed out, haven't changed anything on the tie rod, it's all the way adjusted in, and I'm toed out a pretty good amount.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Sub'd - I put a TF leveling kit in (minimal lift) and I've noticed I get unwarranted ABS buzz in certain conditions. I've done my best to center the steering wheel and can't figure out why the heck it's triggering. For me it's tight right turns at slow speeds. (Ex: turning up a driveway off a road)

I also noticed my sway bar end links seem to indicate an off center axle. They're not perpendicular to the ground by a noticeable amount.

Have a track bar on the way, not sure it's necessary with such a small lift but figure it can't hurt.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Sub'd - I put a TF leveling kit in (minimal lift) and I've noticed I get unwarranted ABS buzz in certain conditions. I've done my best to center the steering wheel and can't figure out why the heck it's triggering. For me it's tight right turns at slow speeds. (Ex: turning up a driveway off a road) I also noticed my sway bar end links seem to indicate an off center axle. They're not perpendicular to the ground by a noticeable amount. Have a track bar on the way, not sure it's necessary with such a small lift but figure it can't hurt.
I think some JK's are more sensitive to others.
Did you loosen/shake/torque all the bolts ?
I know it's a "small" lift but the front is raised 2" .. Enough to place a bind in the rubber bushings.
Also .. The slight decrease in caster angle can mess with the steering.
In your situation.. I would have jeep put on a alignment rack and checked.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I think some JK's are more sensitive to others. Did you loosen/shake/torque all the bolts ? I know it's a "small" lift but the front is raised 2" .. Enough to place a bind in the rubber bushings. Also .. The slight decrease in caster angle can mess with the steering. In your situation.. I would have jeep put on a alignment rack and checked.
Good points, no I didn't do any of the bolts when I put the TF kit on. The trackbar is showing up with a grade 8 kit so I'll be doing it right. Was considering a set of LCAs to tweak on the caster, it does feel slightly loose in the steering tracking.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Sub'd - I put a TF leveling kit in (minimal lift) and I've noticed I get unwarranted ABS buzz in certain conditions. I've done my best to center the steering wheel and can't figure out why the heck it's triggering. For me it's tight right turns at slow speeds. (Ex: turning up a driveway off a road) I also noticed my sway bar end links seem to indicate an off center axle. They're not perpendicular to the ground by a noticeable amount. Have a track bar on the way, not sure it's necessary with such a small lift but figure it can't hurt.
What size tires?
If you have bigger tires did you recalibrate the speedo?

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
285/70/17 Duratrac, I did the speedo recal with a Flashpaq. Tweaked on it until it matched my gps.
Strike that off the list. Good job.
Wondering if one of the front speed sensor wires is pulling too tight on the plug when you turn right.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Strike that off the list. Good job.
Wondering if one of the front speed sensor wires is pulling too tight on the plug when you turn right.
Wondering about this as well...looking at my end links I can't help but think the axle if off center which may be tugging on a sensor wire. Driver's side is vertical, Passenger side is more tilted, also the direction that causes my issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
892 Posts
Wondering about this as well...looking at my end links I can't help but think the axle if off center which may be tugging on a sensor wire. Driver's side is vertical, Passenger side is more tilted, also the direction that causes my issue.
Just looked at my pictures...I put the freak'n end link on the wrong side of the axle bracket.
Nice.
Well, at least posting side by side pictures on the forum was enough to show me my mistake

:beerme:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
your front axle is way off center.

oh wait nevermind, your links are just wrong lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just looked at my pictures...I put the freak'n end link on the wrong side of the axle bracket.
Nice.
Well, at least posting side by side pictures on the forum was enough to show me my mistake

:beerme:
haha. Well at least that was an easy fix for you to notice. Sometimes just need to take a step back and will figure it out

1 - 20 of 22 Posts