Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My jeep rumbles and vibrates bad when accelerating over 1500 rpms. If you let the rpms get to 3000, the windows rattle a bit. I've not taken jeep higher than 45mph since this started happening cause it really vibrates a lot by then. It only started happening within last fee days.

Now hate to admit it cause now I feel stupid but I think I figured out what I did wrong... I'm just unsure how bad I messed it up. I didn't realize you should NOT use 4wd when towing someone on dry pavement. Only towed someone once before and that was in dirt and pulling em out of steep dirt incline. So to tow this buddy who's car died, I just threw it in 4lo... When I realized I could tow it easily, put in 4hi and sped up. Probably wasn't even 2 miles but turned maybe 4 times and a u turn. Yeah I feel stupid now after reading up trying to figure out what was wrong and figuring it had to be when I did that tow that mucked it up and then reading about 4wd.

Anyway, yeah embarrassing but given what I said, how bad did I mess it up? I was gonna have my car buddy check it out tomorrow but after realizing my mistake with 4wd, I'm kind of anxious to know what I could have screwed up. Driveline, gears etc all new so yeah I feel like a dumbass now but oh well lesson learned I guess.

·
Registered
298 Posts
How fast was you going in 4Lo? When you changed from 4Lo to 4Hi was you moving? If so how fast was you going? Did it let you change gears while the Jeep was rolling? You may have Transfer Case issues. Turning really high RPMs in 4Lo is not good. The jeep most likely just set there moving slowly which made you change to 4Hi. I would drain the fluid and check for metal shavings or metal fragments. Putting stress on it pulling another vehicle like that may have fried it.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Turning only damages axle U joints. 4 turns won't do enough to matter. Ujoints wear out after an accumulation of excess wear from 4x4 turning. Did you go off roading? Could you have something in your rim? How fast was the shift from 4lo to 4hi? Usually that will just grind.

It sounds like you bent a driveshaft somehow. Towing really wouldn't normally do that because our drivetrain is pretty robust but it could have happened. I'd recommend taking your front driveshaft off and seeing how it drives

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Turning only damages axle U joints. 4 turns won't do enough to matter. Ujoints wear out after an accumulation of excess wear from 4x4 turning. Did you go off roading? Could you have something in your rim? How fast was the shift from 4lo to 4hi? Usually that will just grind.

It sounds like you bent a driveshaft somehow. Towing really wouldn't normally do that because our drivetrain is pretty robust but it could have happened. I'd recommend taking your front driveshaft off and seeing how it drives
It could. Remember he was towing another vehicle so he was under a greater load. Something has definitely been damaged.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Does that vibration occur when stopped in neutral and giving throttle over 1500rpm, or only when the rig is moving?

IE, is the vibration from 'drive line parts moving' or 'engine turning above certain rpm', your post is not clear exactly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have gone off-road with it but nothing major... In and out of some canals but that was weeks ago. Got a tumbleweed wrapped around front drive shaft but that was it and ya that was weeks ago. I was in 4lo going at a snail pace. Think I got into 4th gear eventually after getting comfortable pulling and maybe 20 to 25mph if that before I was like, there's no need for 4lo so slowed down and at the next stop sign I put in 4hi the rest of the way. Still don't think I got past 30 in third. I went the whole way pretty slow, it was just residential area. I figured if I could get into 4th, there's no reason to be in 4lo. Car was feeling fine though, didn't even feel like was pullin anything cause I just start out so slow and gradually increase speed. Did yank a couple times starting up from stop sign wee to fast and strap had relaxed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vibrates only while moving... Really vibrates while accelerating. Throw it in neutral and slowing down, doesn't really do it. When I start off in second (got 4:88 gr so always start in second) it's fine till 1500 rpms.

Edit: actually never gave throttle while it was in neutral. I'm guessing it would still if I reved it above 15 but I'll have to see.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Check if it vibrates while revving in neutral. If it does then its your transmission or possibly engine. If not its somewhere past the transmission which is cheaper than the engine and tranny. Are you under warranty?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thank God for that... No, if I'm idle and in neutral and rev it up, nothing... Revs like normal, no vibrations. Only does it in gear I guess. No vibrations going in reverse either.

Oh and no it's not, it's 4 years old and think all warranties ran out after 3.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Take a look at the rear driveshaft. See if it has any visible damage. People have posted pics here of rear drive shafts that wrapped up, ie twisted to point of serious damage. Towing a load in 4 low might provide enough resistance to torque the shaft throwing it off balance / ruining it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. And really just driving at steady speed in 2nd and third, not much issue. It's really only real noticeable accelerating. By 3000rpms it's really vibrating till I change gears. Then it calms down when at steady speed and rpms are steady. I mean it may vibrate little but not bad till give it more gas and increase speed. In fourth it's pretty consistent with vibrating even goin steady and really goes nuts accelerating. I dunno I'll have buddy check it out tomorrow. At least it's not tranny or engine...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Put it in drive, hold the brake and accelerate... Any noises, clunks, vibrations?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts