Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Bought a pair of Mopar enhanced rock rails off of Facebook Marketplace, $150 and were taken off not long after they bought their Jeep new. Couldn’t believe the deal considering I’ve only been able to find used online for $300+.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Installed new speakers in both of our jeeps...... Just roll-bar. I’m a little worried about tearing apart the dash, and after not getting any real appreciable upgrade in sound...... probably leaving it as-is.
I thought the same thing when I did my speaker upgrade. The dash speakers make all the difference though. And some poly-fill in the rollbar behind the speakers helps too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oil change.

I drove the Jeep onto the ramps, popped the hood, removed the plastic engine cover, removed the oil filter... check.

I put nice new cardboard under the Jeep, positioned my plastic oil catch pan with extendable catch funnel, and removed the oil pan drain bolt. (Note to self: if you need your big-ass Milwaukee impact wrench to remove an oil pan drain bolt, you were a biiiiiiiit too enthusiastic when you tightened it last time. )...but, check.

Cleanest drain so far....I positioned the catch funnel just right. Not a drop of oil on my new cardboard oil catcher. Insert the oil drain plug (not too tight this time). Push the oil catch pan to the other side of the Jeep to get it out of the way. Collect my wrench, and the mechanic's pad I use to lay on.... check.

Ever so briefly...I start the engine just long enough to back the Jeep off of the ramps so I can refill the new oil when level. ....ch...CRUNCH!

Fk fk fk fk fk fk fk!!! I knew what it was. I didn't quite push the oil catch pan far enough to the other side of the Jeep. I ran over it squarely with my right front tire. At least three quarts hit the garage floor concrete before I could stop the engine, get out of the Jeep, and get over there to fix it. Luckily, the whole thing didn't disintegrate. The plastic pan deformed and popped the plastic drain cap. Could have been worse.

So... my cleanest oil change of all time quickly became the dirtiest.

But it's done!
Maybe I’m naive, but you ran your engine without refilling the oil first? I know there’s always some left in the engine after draining, but I always thought / read that doing so was a huge no.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Love that color on the 2018's!
What leveling kit did you go with?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks! I had actually gone to the dealership thinking I was going to get a silver JKU, but then right next a silver one was a Gobi colored and I was sold.

It’s the Quadratec 1.75in Leveling Lift Kit, so purely a spacer lift, but it gave me the slight height gain for 33s and removed the rake like I wanted. Their quality of materials and install instructions are solid too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My added care plus warranty expires next month. I got a decent renewal offer from FCA and they’ve switched to a subscription service. The added care plus with a $500 deductible is $80/month and can be cancelled anytime. I’m probably going to do it.
What all does that cover? Seems a little steep to me tbh.. that comes out to $960/year, $1460 in a year if you have to make a claim. You’re basically making a bet that you’re going to have a major issue every year at that price.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Got off work, open the JK's door, pulled out the floor mat, dumped out the rain, reinstalled, started it up, then drove it home.

Really weird during the rain. Sometimes there's a leak, and sometimes there's not. Today, no water got beneath the mat, so that was a first.
Happens to me sometimes if I park on a slant leaning left or right and there’s a heavy rain. But only that specific scenario it seems.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Got hit on the windshield frame by a rock last week. Then the Texas ice storm hit and now it’s like this.

Trying to decide what to do with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d just go buy a touch up pen from the dealership, the white tip end on the cap will scrape the surface rust right off and then just hit it with a couple color coats and a coat of clear.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Installed a pair of TF coil spring retainers front. Not that exactly i need them but is just for my own piece of mind. The passenger side didn't need them for sure cause the TB limits that side by 1", the driver side can extend 28.5" from the OME L shocks and the bottom pigtail will lift about 1/4" out of the groove. the top of the spring seems tight and i can't rotate by hand, but the bottom lifting that litte drives me crazy, Coil retainers are cheap and i can install them mysef so it's just my time to put the Jeep on jack stands, droop the front axel drill and put everything back :)

2021-07-18_12-15-03 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

My RK 1.5" coils with OME L's fully extended at 28.5" , driver side with the TF retainer in place. the pigtail doesn't lift anymore and it stays where it's supposed to.
2021-07-18_12-15-12 by RAM RSM, on Flickr
What kind of paint do you have your axel coated with? I’ve been researching undercoatings and yours doesn’t look like the OEM flat black paint

·
Registered
130 Posts
Took it to the beach for the first time. Never knew what I was missing being able to drive onto the beach and set up right there vs having to find parking, lugging everything a quarter mile to the beach, and then lugging it all back after you’re hot and tired.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My pinch seams were pretty chewed up from a botched side step install (fully due to my inexperience and lack of a torque wrench a few years back), so this weekend I hit the inner and outer pinch seam mounting areas on both sides with a few coats of chassis saver in preparation for my new rock rails.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Finally found the gremlin causing a popping noise from the windshield whenever I hit a bump. I thought for months it was from the A-pillar grab handles that I installed and tried everything to tighten them better and resolve it. Turns out it was actually the windshield bracket loose outside from the door-less mirror brackets I installed at around the same time as the handles.

Time for a beer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts