Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

97641 - 97660 of 97687 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
Finally got around to installing this Christmas gift from myself, Teraflex Heavy Duty Ball Joints.
So glad to be done, was really not looking forward to it! Lower ball joints on both sides were shot and had a lot of play.
Not anymore!!
View attachment 4434301
I just had a set installed on mine, along with both hub bearings and front driveshaft. I’ve installed them before, I paid a tech buddy to install this set on the side, I wasn’t messing with that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
New (to me) shoes. Same size tires that I already had, so I put mine away for whenever it is replacement time. Picked up some real rock rails as well, but didn't have time to do the drilling and tapping they are going to need. That seems like an on-call work weekend project since that keeps me from venturing to the trails.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
New (to me) shoes. Same size tires that I already had, so I put mine away for whenever it is replacement time. Picked up some real rock rails as well, but didn't have time to do the drilling and tapping they are going to need. That seems like an on-call work weekend project since that keeps me from venturing to the trails.

Nice wheels. What are they?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Created a traction mat set of pins for my roof rack. $60 a set for most sets, I made these for under $20.

Was not super excited to spend $40-60 on a single set of Maxtrax or equivalent traction board mounts, so I went to my local Home Depot and CramAzon and gathered the ingredients to do these on the cheap. Total cost is roughly < $20 for 2 mounts. My mats when stacked are exactly 3 3/4" at the mounting holes.

Parts needed:

2 Clamps - Nilight 2pcs Light Bar Clamps :

2 - 5/16" x 5 1/2" coarse thread hex bolts
2 - 5/16" coarse thread nuts
2 - 3/4" washers
4 - 1/2" washers

1 Package Arnold Handle Bolts, Home Depot in the garden section. Replacement lawn mower/pull mower handle kit.

Clamp on the horizontal bars of your roof rack, slide boards on, add washer to protruding bolt, tighten the T handle (handle has nylon lock nuts), done. I put them on opposite corners of the mats and it is sturdy enough that you don't need four of them.

One beer install, but I had a 2nd just in case.

View attachment 4434254 View attachment 4434255
View attachment 4434256

I was looking at those maxtrax pins earlier. And did not want to spend $60 plus then not knowing for sure if they would fit my rack.

What rack do you have? And which traction boards do you have? I was looking at the X-bulls.

·
Registered
145 Posts
AEV Salta with 315/70R17 BFG KO2's. I had the same size KO's on my factory wheels, and I liked the look. But a) there is always time to change and b) I got a good deal on the set that keeps me in tires for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Replaced the automatic transmission shifter cable today. The little plastic retaining clip on the transmission end broke. 2 cents worth of plactic broke and disabled my jeep. Murphy's law hit me hard, broken down in the left lane about a mile before the tunnel in rush hour traffic with no way to push it accross the other 2 lanes of traffic to the right shoulder.
Anyway I got a new cable and replaced it to day. It is one of the biggest pain in the a$$ things I've had to do. Had to remove my engine/trans skid, take out the center console and remove 2 nuts holding the rubber seal in place where the cable goes through the floor. These 2 nut are located in front of the area where the center console meets the bottem of the dash and you literally have a inch of space to work with. Ratcheting wrenches was the only way to go for this and even then with everything in the way I could only move the wrench about an inch and a half at a time. Removing was hard but trying to get them back on and started without cross threading with my big hands was near impossible. Just getting the cable out and the new one in took almost 2 hours and every 4 letter word I know. If you ever need to replace yours get ratcheting wrenches or better yet pay someone else to do it and save yourself one big headache.

·
Premium Member
3,540 Posts
Replaced the automatic transmission shifter cable today. The little plastic retaining clip on the transmission end broke. 2 cents worth of plactic broke and disabled my jeep. Murphy's law hit me hard, broken down in the left lane about a mile before the tunnel in rush hour traffic with no way to push it accross the other 2 lanes of traffic to the right shoulder.
Anyway I got a new cable and replaced it to day. It is one of the biggest pain in the a$$ things I've had to do. Had to remove my engine/trans skid, take out the center console and remove 2 nuts holding the rubber seal in place where the cable goes through the floor. These 2 nut are located in front of the area where the center console meets the bottem of the dash and you literally have a inch of space to work with. Ratcheting wrenches was the only way to go for this and even then with everything in the way I could only move the wrench about an inch and a half at a time. Removing was hard but trying to get them back on and started without cross threading with my big hands was near impossible. Just getting the cable out and the new one in took almost 2 hours and every 4 letter word I know. If you ever need to replace yours get ratcheting wrenches or better yet pay someone else to do it and save yourself one big headache.
I had to replace my transfer case shift cable. The plastic shroud that covers the cable up by the shifter snapped. When I was doing research to find the part, there were 2 different part numbers with 2 VERY different prices. I took the old one out so I could be sure I ordered the right one, luckily it was the cheaper of the 2. I was having some other work done, including having the front driveshaft replaced and knowing how bad unhooking it from the transfer case with the driveshaft in place sucked, I opted to have it installed at the same time as the driveshaft. I also have a couple extra of the plastic clips just in case. I’ve been told there is a company that makes a replacement for the plastic bushings that are worlds better than factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Right rear cleaned up, control arms rebuilt, parking brake rebuilt, waiting on bearings and seal before axle shaft goes back in. Shock on the bench ready to install.

Shock refill, 5_23_20.JPG

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,826 Posts
I was looking at those maxtrax pins earlier. And did not want to spend $60 plus then not knowing for sure if they would fit my rack.

What rack do you have? And which traction boards do you have? I was looking at the X-bulls.
X-Bulls. Won them in a giveaway. Used them a few days ago getting a friend of a friend out of some sand in the middle of BFE. Worked great. I have an EAG rack, but those mounts are adjustable from 3/4 - 13/4" tube diameter. Interchangeable rubber spacers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Built a cart for the doors, took the doors off for the first time, and replaced the factory bushings with delrin liners and put Outlaw pins on the doors. Dang those doors are heavy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
On my JK I removed the hard top, installed a soft top, and loosened my doors. I ran out of time to swap on the half doors. Tomorrow maybe?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I swapped roofs on Saturday and finally made a video showing how the Harken Hoister works. Forgive my scruffy COVID look. :)

I've been looking at powered hoists. Is there a safety mechanism to prevent the top from crashing to the ground if the rope slips out of your hand? That's my biggest fear. I'm totally clueless on top hoists.

97641 - 97660 of 97687 Posts