Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

99481 - 99500 of 99608 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
My plan as well.
What size did you go with?
Thinking I’ll only mount one container as I have my shovel and a few odds and ends on the other; however, may need to rethink that as I push out on longer trips.
Thanks.
I have 2 of them mounted. only 1 size fit on the rack behind the tire. I'll try to show an image. The image is a little old. Since then, I moved the periscope down and the tire up. Added a stop light in the spare. Added a little more rear lift...and you can see the results in the second image below.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Here's a more recent view...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Today I upgraded the stock speakers in the 2dr Sahara with some excellent Hertz K130's. I'm a big Hertz fan for their top-end brilliance, and this upgrade is just awesome in terms of added sound clarity. The speakers were purchased from Crutchfield and came with the usual "sorta-kinda" installation gear to make it come together for the main mid-range speakers. The tweeters required some engineering, but that was expected and wasn't an issue at all. The kit's shortcomings weren't an obstacle, however.

All-around replacement: Replaced the front corner tweeters, the front kick-panel mids, and all (4) of the speakers in the roll-bar soundbar with two K130 kits.

The K130's have separate tweeters and mid-sized speakers, which made this an ideal all-around upgrade.

The openings in the speaker bar support both the standalone mid-size speaker in the kit and the standalone tweeter:

The mid-size speaker is a simple drop-in replacement with the Mopar bracket supplied by Crutchfield, but the tweeter required some additional engineering.

The K130's tweeters are considerably smaller (but also considerably more powerful!). They are not a drop-in replacement.

The Hertz K130 kit comes with flush-mount hardware for the tweeters that were leveraged for this installation. The only problem was that it needed something flush for which to flush-mount to!

Using the old speaker as a template, some standard backing board, and a scroll saw, a no-frills mounting bracket was pretty easy to craft:

Cleaning it up a bit, and painting it black so that it blends in and you have a perfect upgrade for both the soundbar and the corner dash tweeters:

(The grill covers fit flawlessly in all locations afterward too, but you don't need a picture for that.)

The final result is remarkable. Crisp highs and mids coming from the dash and the soundbar.

I had already swapped out the factory head unit with an Alpine i207-WRA, and had added a subwoofer behind the back seat. Today's upgrade rounds out the mids and highs all-around and made an impressive improvement to the sound stage.

All-in, under $175 for the two K130 kits.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Started re-installing the factory seats in my '08 JK, after having driver's seat rebuilt with new seat cushion and a couple panels in the upholstery replaced by a local upholstery shop. Got driver's seat in yesterday and will do passenger seat today or Monday. Then will sell the temporary Smitty Bilt seats I've been using while getting originals worked on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hellwig rear sway bar, took me a bit to thread it above the exhaust, and that grease they include is so sticky it might be glue.

Then a real good wash and turtle wax ceramic spray wax, and 303 for the hardtop, looks great.

Tomorrow I do the front axle seals!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I have been running with my front sway bar with one link disconnected for quite some time with no real issues. Today I re connected it and now it flat corners again and feels more planted on the freeway. It does ride a little rougher. I live with it connected as I like the more planted feel on the freeway and flat cornering. Could play with disco the rear sway or a Currie sway for the front. Any advice?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been running with my front sway bar with one link disconnected for quite some time with no real issues. Today I re connected it and now it flat corners again and feels more planted on the freeway. It does ride a little rougher. I live with it connected as I like the more planted feel on the freeway and flat cornering. Could play with disco the rear sway or a Currie sway for the front. Any advice?
Are you referring to Antirock systems for the front? My understanding is that those are a bit of middle road between connected and disconnected swaybars, with the middle of the road tendencies, as well. I freely admit that others will know more about that, however.

·
Registered
18 Posts

In the "There's still some left in the can, so why not?" category --

Dipped the three key holes on the black Sahara 2dr JK.

Also dipped the whip antenna and the grill "Jeep" chrome logo.

And the can still isn't empty.

·
Premium Member
2018 JKU S
91 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I installed the exact same nerf bars from Tyger a couple of weeks ago.

Have you tested them against rocks, walls, etc? Howd they holdup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny you should ask. I just got the chance to test them out yesterday on rocks and trees but I didnt run into any walls. I followed a bunch of lifted jeeps with 35s and 37s in a stock rubicon with stock km3s on some trails and beat the crap out of them. They held up really well as far as I'm concerned. I don't think any powder coating would hold up to what i did to them🤣.
My only critique is I wish they were tucked up higher. I think i wouldnt have hit half as many rocks if they didnt hang down so low and I did hit one rock hard enough that I think it tweaked the pinch seem a bit. But I am a new jeeper and it was really the first technical trail I did other than some rocky forest roads like Petersmill in VA. More experienced drivers may have been able to avoid some of those hard hits and grinds. I think I managed to dent one spot on the lower tube but it didnt bend the tube just dented it.

They were on the jeep when I bought it and I do really like the style. I might eventually modify them to be tucked up higher. Just need to learn how to weld. Lol
Time to go get some touch up paint. 👋

Edit: as I was getting underneath the jeep to check out any damage from my rocky trail ride I noticed that these do have frame mounts and they took much more of a beating than I thought. They are definitely solid.

·
Premium Member
2018 JKU S
91 Posts
Funny you should ask. I just got the chance to test them out yesterday on rocks and trees but I didnt run into any walls. I followed a bunch of lifted jeeps with 35s and 37s in a stock rubicon with stock km3s on some trails and beat the crap out of them. They held up really well as far as I'm concerned. I don't think any powder coating would hold up to what i did to them.
My only 2 critiques are I wish they were frame mounted and tucked up higher. I think i wouldnt have hit half as many rocks if they didnt hang down so low and I did hit one rock hard enough that I think it tweaked the pinch seem a bit. But I am a new jeeper and it was really the first technical trail I did other than some rocky forest roads like Petersmill in VA. More experienced drivers may have been able to avoid some of those hard hits and grinds. I think I managed to dent one spot on the lower tube but it didnt bend the tube just dented it. View attachment 4464327
View attachment 4464326

They were on the jeep when I bought it and I do really like the style. I might eventually modify them to be frame mounted and tuck up higher. Just need to learn how to weld. Lol
Time to go get some touch up paint.
Excellent report! Thank you sir.

I’m headed out this weekend for the first big trail run in my mostly stock JKUS and looking forward to hopefully not denying mine too badly also :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99481 - 99500 of 99608 Posts