Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

661 - 680 of 708 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I put some new wheels and tires on the wife’s JLUR. She wanted Black Rhino Sprockets and I chose MT Baja MTZ P3 in 315/70r17. The added backspace and 2” wider wheels resulted in a bit more exposed tread than I was hoping for. I also need to find a shorter spare tire carrier because it sticks out quite a bit more.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S Hella Yella
17 Posts
Currently installing a new front bumper and winch. Back bumper, shocks, and lifts are next. They are sitting on the back porch crying out to us. Probably going to hire the shocks done.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Got the Midland MXT275 installed today and am pretty happy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Yesterday was our 35th wedding anniversary and we celebrated by putting the new front bumper on the Jeep. Only hard part was the fiddly stuff with the fog lights - tiny 🔩 in hard to reach spots. But we got her done! Today is winch and back bumper. View attachment 4501644
Looks good! You’re probably going to have to take it off and put the winch on first, though :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
We can reach underneath it. So hopefully not!
If you're going to try dropping the winch in with the bumper on, mask off your grille with blue painter's tape to protect it beforehand. I would suggest leaving the tape a little loose too in case it's a tight fit and you don't have much room to peel it off.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Where did you get the antenna mount? Also does this kit come with the antenna? Finally is this a high gain antenna? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
it is a Rugged Radio brand mount, ordered from Amazon. I bought the radio used and then bought me the antenna stuff. The radio does come with a decent magnetic antenna.

I installed the Midland 3db “ghost” antenna with a Midland cable. I used the Midland cable because the large connector screws off, making it easier to get through the firewall. I had to enlarge the hole in the antenna mount to 5/8” for the other end.

·
Registered
99 Posts
it is a Rugged Radio brand mount, ordered from Amazon. I bought the radio used and then bought me the antenna stuff. The radio does come with a decent magnetic antenna.

I installed the Midland 3db “ghost” antenna with a Midland cable. I used the Midland cable because the large connector screws off, making it easier to get through the firewall. I had to enlarge the hole in the antenna mount to 5/8” for the other end.
I was curious about the mount for the antenna as well. Found it(I think)
I can't find it on Amazon though.

it seems like a really good spot for the antenna!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I installed a TF tire carrier which should have been easy: remove 8 bolts and disconnect a camera connector, swap the carriers and then install the 8 bolts and connect the camera.

The removal was easy. Most of the installation was easy. The first seven bolts torqued to 25 ft/lbs like butter. I’m not sure if my torque wrench didn’t click or if I missed it, but about 8 full turns later and the head snapped off. I’ll worry about later I told myself.

I had to install three studs in the new carrier and torque them to 150 ft/lbs. Since the studs were double ended, the TF included two nuts to tighten together and then use the outside nut to torque. The nuts were worthless. Well before my torque wrench clicked the nuts were spinning. On the third stud the threads from the inside nut gave up.

The closest dealer with the replacement bolt was 20 miles away. 1.5 hours later and I had the bolt, a screw extractor set from HD and was at Ace looking for three grade 8 M14 x 1.5 nuts. If two wouldn’t work, three surely would.

I get home and remove the whole tire carrier so I can get the broken bolt out, which was surprisingly easy. I then tried to tighten the studs with three nuts without luck. I tightened each one against the other as much as possible but they wouldn’t spin the stud. Maybe I had tightened it more than the required 150 lbs without realizing it. They all have blue loctite so hopefully they’ll stay in place. I marked them with some white paint so I’ll check them after a few days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Last week I installed a Uniden CMX-660 which lasted exactly one off-road trip before it conked out and died; won't power up at all. Guess I'll find out how good the Uniden warranty it.

Also recently installed some 285/75-17 Ridge Grapplers on Quadratec Hard Rock wheels (had them left over from the JKUR), Metal Cloak Skid plates, Under the Sun grill insert, and LOD Destroyer sliders/steps.

Attempted to remove the hard top this weekend so I can finally get that soft top installed, but that didn't go very well and may end up in my eventual divorce.
Lesson learned: should have listened when she said she wasn't comfortable lifting the hard top off.
Oh no! I hope you, your wife, and the top are all recovered. After having to pay 3-4 guys to come over and help me with the hard top several times I put a winch in the garage. Total game changer! I can now do it by myself. Best wishes with your wife...my husband is not a fan of my Jeep.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
About two days after ordering the Dirty Dog cargo liner for the JLUR I realized I may have a problem. The power top doesn’t have the bolts along the cargo area like a regular hard top, which the cargo liner uses. After receipt and review of the instructions there was no mention of the power top.

I called DD and the woman that answered put me through to the owner. After a quick chat, he said that they include the necessary parts for the power top and that there should be an addendum to the instructions. The parts were there but not the addendum so he emailed me one.

It’s good to have such a fast response to an issue!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys. New to the forum. Purchasing an ‘18 wrangler unlimited sport this week and looking for blackout wheels to match the black exterior. Trying to figure out what size I can buy. Found someone selling Bridgestone tires 255/70/18 with oem black Sahara rims. Will they fit? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My winch mount finally came in so I got to install my Warn Zeon 10s. Now trying to decide if I really want/need a factor 55 Ultra Hook or not. Just not sure I need it. I’ll just see what it’s like using the standard Warn hook and maybe buy the 55 one later on.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I got the Curt towed wiring harness installed and pulled the wires from the rear through the frame to the front wheel well. It’s nice that the frame is so accessible. Next will be the battery charger line and the six pin cable end for connecting to the motor home.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
I bought the Powertank roll bar bracket a while back for the wife’s JLUR. I installed it today, and it works, but I can’t mount the PowerTank with the regulator guard because of the power top. If not for the dogs I’d put it on the other side where it would be towards the cargo area more (drivers side bracket mounted on the passenger side.

I know the power top is new, but it would sure be nice if more companies tested their products and put disclaimers on. Some do, some don’t. DirtyDog includes the necessary hardware for their cargo line by default.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
New rims are delayed so the shop agreed to put the new tires on the stock rims until they arrive, so I don't chew up my winter tires on hot pavement. And that's how I know for sure that 35s fit on stock rims with no lift.

661 - 680 of 708 Posts