Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 wrangler sahara unlimited 4dr.

So for as long as I've had this jeep (since new) it has had an issue with the dreaded "death wobble". If the tires get at all out of balance, alignment gets off, tires get particularly worn down etc. It manifests.

Local tire shop mechanic ended up attaching this thing the last time I brought it end for issues. (I don't have anyone around that I know of who is particularly well versed in JEEP so....)

I'm pretty much clueless about suspension and steering issues so I'm sure

someone around here can tell me what to make of this thing.
It does seem to help but it hangs lower than the trans pumpkin and while this this is my DD (I don't exactly go crawling with it) I can't stand the look of this white monstrosity hanging so low. Yeah I know I could paint it but it's still seems like I shouldn't have something like this sitting this far down.

Everything is stock on the ride.

Why did these guys put this in, anything I can do about it an still keep the functionality it is apparently providing?

Thanks for the expertise!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
That red and white thing is an aftermarket steering stabilizer. And while it would make sense to assume that it is there to stop the dreaded Death Wobble that really isn't that case. Also, it is not installed correctly as far as I can tell. It should not hang down like that but rather it should run near parallel to the rod it is attached to (the tie rod).
You either need to start learning about this quick or find a shop that knows. The shop that did that probably doesn't know what they are doing. Someone could install that by following the directions. The person who did that did not.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Steering stabilizers don't stop death wobble. They just hide it a little better.

Death wobble is caused by loose and/or worn suspension parts. As soon as those worn parts become MORE worn (and they will), then not even will the stabilizer be able to hide it anymore.

Agree with the (incorrect) install... they should install almost horizontally.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Looks like they used the supplied longer tapered bolt that they didn't need to with a stock setup... what a joke.... You have the old parts? You may need a bolt and remove that overlong tapered one on the red boot end that is throwing it way low

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks guys I knew folks around here would know. I'll be figuring this out ASAP (and fussing at this shop. I knew something wasn't right with it).

thx,
Tink

1 - 6 of 6 Posts