Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So guys/ girls I've been researchin lifts for quite some time and I think the rustys 3" might be the one I go with. Now is there anythin I should consider cuz aren't they a well respected brand and also should I use their nitros shocks or just bilsteins?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I would keep researching about Rusty's products. I wouldn't run one if, he paid me to run it. Don't go by what I am saying, just research harder. No, I am not repeating some internet myth. I have dealt with him and his products. I have talked with him on the telephone, numerous times, and I believe that if, his lips are moving, he's lying.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Total crap gear. I got a great deal, or so I thought, on a 3 inch from a local place here. Over the course of 2 years I've finally replaced all their junk. Call BDS, tell them what you want to do with your tj, and ask them who they suggest in your area to order from. I've had tons of lifts on numerous vehicles and BDS has more bang for the buck than anything I've had. Also, I can add that I've had their heavy duty springs on my super heavy front end for a year now with NO SAG, and I can't even say I had that kind of luck with the more expensive stuff like OME I had on my Rover.

Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know several people that run Rustys lifts. Haven't heard any complaints from them about anything. I've had no issues with dealing with them before. I live half an hour away so I can go by at anytime and also never have to pay for shipping. Like it was said before do research on whatever lift you plan on buying.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
the Rusty's springs I've seen were the same unloaded height as the stock springs that they replaced, they were just much stiffer.

if you don't understand why that is a problem when using longer shocks with a lift, then go right ahead and run them until you understand the benefit of a longer unloaded spring length. just remember, that method requires buying two sets of springs... :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have (I guess unfortunately) found out that my 98 has a rustys lift in it the right rear corner is sagging a little. Other than that it seems ok. It drives good and appears to ride like a jeep. It's probably not my first choice but its there and if nothing else it's a good starting point. Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just recently started found rustys and it appealed but my other.chiices we're actually the 3.5 re superflex bds 3 or zone 3 which are all good quality id say but I need basically lots of news parts so control arms are necessary and doesn't only rubicon express of the three use clevite bushings?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I just recently started found rustys and it appealed but my other.chiices we're actually the 3.5 re superflex bds 3 or zone 3 which are all good quality id say but I need basically lots of news parts so control arms are necessary and doesn't only rubicon express of the three use clevite bushings?
Keep looking. Rustys is bottom-shelf and the other two are mid-shelf at best when referring to components besides springs. RE does not use Clevite bushings. They use POS proprietary bushings that have had nothing but problems for years.

·
Administrator
12,639 Posts
Its been about 10 years since I ran their springs.. but i did run a set of their shocks on a project ZJ I had, with in the last 4 years or so.. Not sure if they are the same, but thought for the price the shocks were great. The TJ parts held up well, and flex and ride was fine.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
So basically use currie or rock krawler or savvy products? They seem a little outta my league moneywise
there's also Clayton Off-Road, UndercoverFab, Rokmen, BDS, Poly Peformance, Gen-Right, DPG Off-Road, IronMan4x4Fab...etc.

stop thinking in terms of kits. find the components that will fit your needs, and buy them separately. build your own "kit".

·
Banned
613 Posts
I love my Rusty's coil springs. I used them to replace sagging Old Man EMU springs and will never go back...And at 50 bucks each, they are a real bargain.

However, most of their other products are questionable.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
So basically use currie or rock krawler or savvy products? They seem a little outta my league moneywise
So spending $600 on a set of control arms that won't last you a year is wise? Quit looking at the number as an absolute value. Good control arms using good ends will outlast your Jeep. Good parts cost money, crappy parts are cheaper. Choose what you want but don't be upset when you end up replacing those crappy parts with good ones anyway.

And no, I wouldn't put RK in the same category as Currie or Savvy when talking about control arms.

·
Registered
229 Posts
So spending $600 on a set of control arms that won't last you a year is wise? Quit looking at the number as an absolute value. Good control arms using good ends will outlast your Jeep. Good parts cost money, crappy parts are cheaper. Choose what you want but don't be upset when you end up replacing those crappy parts with good ones anyway.

And no, I wouldn't put RK in the same category as Currie or Savvy when talking about control arms.
Exactly. I bought the best control arms rusty had to offer and they craped out on my in a few months. If I would've spent the money on good CA's insted of rustys I would have saved a lot of money in the long run.:banghead:

·
Banned
613 Posts
Yup........As said before here, forget the kit stuff.

Ain't no maker offer it all at a decent price...That's just the way it is in the aftermarket parts world.

Carefully select your chit piece by piece and in the end maybe spend the same bucks but you will fersure get yer bucks worth.

Yeah, it takes a little homework, but you can do it...

EVERY item from shocks to springs and joints to CA bushings are each and every one rated and discussed at length...not too hard to 'build yer own' now-a-days...in the end you might spend 2K on a 4" lift, but get 4K n results

1 - 18 of 18 Posts