Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, what your thoughts on a completely factory stock Jeep.
Looks
Off road capabilities
Pros Cons of Both Mods and No Mods
Would you like to keep your jeep stock or get a stock jeep?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My stock YJ with street tires does great. Climbs dirt piles and goes through ditches just fine. I’ll change the tires soon, but it’s fun for now. It’s why I put a stock replacement spring on as well. Can’t rock crawl in IA so no need for a lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
466 Posts
IMO there in no question stock is by far the most reliable and economical way to leave a vehicle. Upgrade one part and another breaks or wont work right anymore. Unless You just have to have higher,bigger or whatever for a specific use like Arctic travel King of hammers etc, Id bet 95% of the 4x4 owners do it just cause they can.........me included.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Buying factory stock Jeeps is the way to go so you don’t have to deal with the previous owner’s modified mess. However, I have no use for a stock rig as they have low ground clearance and are not capable and are not capable of traversing the terrain I off-road. Works fine though for fire roads and light off-roading.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I love a stock Jeep, I’d buy a(nother) stock Sahara any day of the week if it had the Dana 44 rear. 30x9.5-15s look great, and with the 3.73s they’re actually geared very nicely for playing.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Stock 2002 with 265/75R15 (30" tire) Love it, daily driver, fishing vehicle so I does get driven off road.
Was down by a river I fish, there was some washed out trails, a bit rougher than usual, getting through no problem when when came upon a guy in a lifted diesel pickup with them silly little wide tires and tall stacks, he kept getting hung up trying to get over a bank that had been washed out. My little Jeep went up and over no problem.
Stock Jeeps rock!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
A stock jeep is going to be more capable than the driver 99% of the time. They drive great and get decent fuel economy. Gives you a convertible for the summer and 4wd for the winter. I have way more respect for a stock jeep owner vs one that buys new jeep and throws a 4" lift, 37's and everything under the sun they can bolt on it to drive down a dirt road. I still have a stock 2001 Sahara that is a a blast to drive. My 07 is completely over the top and is fun to drive and get the (y)'s but the stock jeep is just as enjoyable with the top and doors off on a nice day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2006 LJR is almost stock - LED headlights and a Sony headunit are only changes. Stock sized tires will hit 10 years old in 6 months; debating whether to bump them up an inch or leave as is. Used for street and sand.

·
Registered
141 Posts
IMHO, closer to stock is better. I'm going with a "stock plus" sorta build. I inherited 3.73 gears, and find those perfectly fine with the 31" Duratracs I tossed on (especially since the "real" diameter is closer to 30"). Also installed H&R springs back at the beginning of the year, so I'm just a tad bigger than stock overall but nothing THAT noticeable (1-1.5" lift). Nothing wrong with bigger builds, but I'll let the guys/gals with the thousands-and-thousands of extra dollars I don't have pour money into their jeeps via re-gears, lift kits, lockers, brake upgrades, sets of adjustable control arms, adjustable track bars, new fenders, etc. etc. etc. I daily mine, so I didn't want a crazy build that would tempt me to get into sketchy off-road situations especially since it gets me to and from work most days.

Comes down to what you want to do with yours. For the guys/gals truly in love with off roading and bouncing their rigs off of big rocks and logs and all that stuff every weekend, that's totally cool but just seems out of my price range. Just think about the amount of money that "should" be spent to do 33's (or larger) "correctly". Ideally, at a minimum, you're re-gearing and doing something like the black magic larger brake upgrade. Those themselves are probably at least $3,000-$3,500 and don't include the tires (easily another $1,000-$1,500). And unless you're running pizza cutter 33" x 10.5's you're most likely buying new wheels to give you different offset so you don't rub on the control arms and whatnot. You can go with cheap steelies at $75 a pop, or spend $500 a wheel if you so desire. If you add a quality lift (Old Man Emu stuff, etc)- another $1,500-$2,500, by the way- things like longer brake lines, and adjustable track bars come into play (more money and time). Kinda see how deep the rabbit hole can go and how quickly it gets there? All those thousands of dollars to gain ONE INCH of ground clearance at the differentials running 33's compared to the 31's I currently have. Looks cool and is absolutely more capable, but for what you do is it worth it?

Also, none of this accounts for maintenance. The "youngest" TJ/LJ out there is almost 15 years old, and things ARE/WILL BE wearing out. Imagine spending all that money on building your jeep THEN needing to spend more on things like new cooling systems (radiator, water pump, tstat/housing, hoses, coolant flush, new coolant), fuel pump (just replaced my original from '99 over the weekend), ball joints, etc. etc. Again, those kinds of things ARE wearing out on everyone's TJ's/LJ's, and we're all constantly replacing stuff these days. Just part of ownership now!

TL : DR - stock(ish), in my opinion, is the better option unless you're a hardcore person actually using the extra capabilities the upgrades offer on a regular basis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm all about keeping every XJ/TJ I've ever owned closer to stock than not. They do great for how I use them. A stock TJ will out perform many other lifted/modded vehicles.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I do quite like stock looking TJs. When it comes to an LJ though, I prefer a slight lift since the longer wheelbase doesn't look as nice with the stock ride height.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts