Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into painting the body. The current paint isn't in the greatest of shape with scratches throughout. It's a dark blue factory color, with flat black accents that I did myself. I'm wanting to replace the blue with a flat desert tan, but don't have the expenses to get it professionaly done. What do you think, and recommend with me doing it with a spray paint?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm looking to paint my jeep too. It's a TJ, but I think painting's all the same :) I was planning on using a sprayer and matte black rustoleum paint.

I've already done the fenders with hammered black rustoleum and they look awesome.

I'd be interested to hear what other people have to say too!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine's been painted with flat black truck bed liner; looks amazing. The guy I bought it from did it with the stuff you buy at auto parts stores. It's trimmed with caution yellow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice, I'm more concerned about the spray-paint holding up in the elements/weather. Right now the only things I've painted with the flat black Rustoleum are hinges, grill, windshield, and other small pieces. As for the whole body being done with Rustoleum I'm just not sure.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I just did my Cherokee rims that I put on my Yj. I painted them with primer and spray paint. Its all about prep prep and more prep. And lots of patients. Thin and even coats its easy to tiger stripe with spray paint. I painted a 78 cargo van once it looked good but not up close.

View attachment 170720

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yes, prep is a big deal and probably the biggest cost in getting a rig painted.

I say it depends on the look you are after, and what you can reasonably afford versus longevity.

Usually by the time you buy enough "rattle cans" of paint, you could have bought a decent car paint that would last much longer. Depending on your weather and storage, I ve seen rattle can paint jobs last 3-5 years. Even your cheap car paints do better than that; of course the biggest issue at that point is having a compressor and gun to put the paint on the rig.

You may also consider doing all the prep work yourself, getting a decent paint, and finding a shop (or even a friend) who could do the painting. You can save quite a bit having a body shop just shoot the rig.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts