Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm thinking about taking mine and my friend's TJ's out on a local trail in a few weeks when it gets warmer and was wondering what you would recommend a beginner carry with them. this is a 7 mile well traveled trail in the GWNF, the only other time i was there with another friend in his '79 scout we never got stuck, bumped (not literally!) into a couple other 4WD's and ATV's, and is pretty tame. i'm considering bringing the following, most of these i already have. just curious if i'm leaving anything super essential out.

first aid kit
hi lift jack (need to buy - is this absolutely necessary?)
tow strap (and the hooks on the jeep to attach them to)
delorme map of VA
full size spare
full tank of gas (duh!)
flashlight
basic tool kit

and last but not least, a jeep in good running order

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You might want to add (in no particular order)
Water
A box of Granola Bars (just in case...)
Handy Wipes (for cleaning up)
Heavy Rain Poncho (multiple uses, tarp, ground cloth, rain cover...)
Duct Tape
Work Gloves
Jumper Cables
One or Two Ratchet Tie Downs (you'd be surprised at all the uses these have)
and maybe a Folding Shovel.

hi lift jack (need to buy - is this absolutely necessary?)
Absolutely necessary? No. But a hi-lift is an extreamly handy piece of equipment to have along when you need it, you can use it as a jack, or a come-along. I've only used mine once in all the times I've been out. I was solo and I couldn't have made it out of the fix I was in without it.

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Some other items you may wish to add:

Cell phone
CB (find out what station the park ranger's monitor)

Tell someone where your going, what you will be doing and when you expect to arrive home.

and lastly, if it doubt about taking something remeber its always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
highlifts are priceless ... they are great to have and can be just what you need to fix a problem ... but dont be mistaken, they are very dangerous. if a vehicle is on a highlift, dont get under it, i have seen highlifts spit out from vehicles on more than one occasion ...

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Bungee cords and an assortment of wire ties.
Tire Plug kit
Large trash bags
Universal Joints
Bug Spray
A camera----for worst stuck pic :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd bring a fire extinguisher and also a small tarp. The tarps have more than one use. You might want to think about getting a portable air compressor to allow you to air down your tires for more traction and be able to air back up at the end of the day. I picked on up at Pep-Boys for about $50. Its called the MaxFlow and it works great.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I carry an 18"x18"x3/4" piece of plywood. It's a requirement in my area in order to obtain a barrier beach permit. It came in handy a couple of weeks ago when I towed out a Trailblazer that had dug himself deep into the sand. A shovel was also necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts