Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 LJ has a 2" spring spacer boost but the front is about 1" lower than rear. I hear a 3" spacer is not advisable, so I'm wondering what coil springs I should get to level it out.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

BB

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
My 2004 LJ has a 2" spring spacer boost but the front is about 1" lower than rear. I hear a 3" spacer is not advisable, so I'm wondering what coil springs I should get to level it out.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

BB
1" lower in front is a desirable stance. that way when you load a bunch of stuff or passengers in the back you're not dragging your rear end all around.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Back when I had a 2" BB, adding a winch sagged the front pretty bad.
I swapped the front spacers for some 3" springs.
3" was enough lift that I also needed an adjustable front track bar to center the front axle.
It wasn't off enough to bug me until then.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So 3" springs and an adjustable track bar. Any links to help me find these? Also any need to do an alignment?

Thanks!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Give Dirk at DPG Off Road a call and he can probably fix you up with the right ome spring rates to do what you want to do.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had 1.75 spacers (called 2") and the winch caused my front to sag even more than stock. I went with BDS front 2" springs and it gained about an inch over the spacer. Still sits a little lower in front but I like it that way. The BDS springs are rated pretty high and were only $120 from 4x4groupbuy.com

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have the money or time to do the track bar and transfer case stuff - just looking for an easy and cheap way to level it. So you removed the spacer and used the 2" spring instead? Any issue requiring an adjustable track bar? This would seem like an easy fix.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I haven't bothered with a track bar. I might eventually but I can barely tell the axle is off center and I don't have any rubbing or handling issues. With the Zone shocks I have for the 2 inch lift I was able to get away with only about 1 inch extra bumpstop as well (Over stock). Just pulled the spacer and put the spring in.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd love other opinions on this as I'm considering buying a new bumper and winch that will certainly drop the front more.

So, with 2" spacers in the back, could I put 3" springs in front without any other mods except, perhaps an adjustable track bar?

Thanks!

BB

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
when i added a winch i went from 2" springs to 3" springs in the front with a MC track bar. i later added savvy aluminum lowers to dial in the pinion/caster, but it isnt necessary.

another thought, have your stock springs sagged? fronts should be 12" and rear should be 8" with the tires on the ground. if they are less, then perhaps a new 2" coil is all thats needed

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ironhead Jed - Are you running any type of lift? Am I measuring from just the top to the bottom of the spring?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
yep and yep, those numbers are what our jeeps rolled of the line with, many have sagged over the last ~15 years.

as for my lift, its a lot of mixed parts, 3" front 2" rear BDS springs, fox 2.0 shocks, MC track bar, Currie Anti-Rock, Savvy aluminum control arms, UCF's ultra high clearance skid and their engine skid, poison spyder highline fenders, and a bunch of other little stuff here and there

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So here's the question:

I have a 2004 LJ with a 2" coil spacer lift. The front currently sits about an inch or more lower than the rear. I'm looking at buying a Q9000 winch and this Barricade bumper:

http://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-front-bumper-j20851.html

I plan on replacing the springs and am not sure whether to get 3" or 4" springs to level the jeep out. What do you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
6,896 Posts
So here's the question:

I have a 2004 LJ with a 2" coil spacer lift. The front currently sits about an inch or more lower than the rear. I'm looking at buying a Q9000 winch and this Barricade bumper:

http://www.extremeterrain.com/barricade-front-bumper-j20851.html

I plan on replacing the springs and am not sure whether to get 3" or 4" springs to level the jeep out. What do you recommend?
I wouldn't go taller than a 3" spring, the coil rate would have to be very very low for the proper stance.

Also, do you plan on adding a rear bumper, tire carrier, and spare? How about a hardtop or rear seat? Everything that goes into the jeep plays a roll

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I will leave the 2" coil spacers in the rear. I currently have JK wheels all around on 285/70/17 Duratracs, with the spare on an adapter and stock carrier - too much weight. So I'm getting a Barricade bumper and carrier. Hardtop is on now also.

Getting to be soft top season, though!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts