Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Not much, maybe 18. I ran new wires, but you probably don't need to unless you're trying to build a competition rig. I just did it because I like doing things like that. It's pretty easy to do in a Jeep, lots of space and the trim panels all come out pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "cut them from the harness"? I presume you're referring to the downstream end - you can either cut the plugs and crimp spades on, or you can buy converters for the Chrysler plugs (my preferred route, as I like to leave as much stock as possible for future conversion back).

Not sure how much I used - I think I started with a 50' roll and had some left over. I ran 14 gauge, but 16 would be fine. The gauge is less important than the quality when it comes to speaker wire, although to be honest you're not going to be able to tell the difference between $0.25/foot cable and $2.50/foot cable in a standard Jeep audio build.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what you mean by "cut them from the harness"? I presume you're referring to the downstream end - you can either cut the plugs and crimp spades on, or you can buy converters for the Chrysler plugs (my preferred route, as I like to leave as much stock as possible for future conversion back).
I thought I read in a write up that the speaker wires are part of the wire harness and it plugs into the factory HU. As opposed to individual wires that you could unplug, and connect directly into amp or HU. No?

Do you have pics of where the stock wires run? Do they go up one side of b-pillar and cross across? Or is it run on both sides?

Thanks for help!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I thought I read in a write up that the speaker wires are part of the wire harness and it plugs into the factory HU. As opposed to individual wires that you could unplug, and connect directly into amp or HU. No?

Do you have pics of where the stock wires run? Do they go up one side of b-pillar and cross across? Or is it run on both sides?

Thanks for help!
Do you have the standard audio package, or the premium audio? If it's standard then the wires are a straight through connection via the harness, and at the head end you can just use the presentation from whatever harness you're using to connect to the rest of the wiring stack. If it's premium audio you'll have to tap into the speaker wires downstream of the amp.

I don't have pictures, but it's pretty easy. Soundbar wiring for both speakers runs down the passenger side B pillar and under the trim piece on the passenger door sill. Once you've got the dashboard open (top piece removed for access to head unit, side panels open, glove box removed) you can easily make cable runs.

Where are you mounting the amp? Remember that the speaker wires and RCAs from the head unit need to take a different route to the power cable to ensure you don't get any magnetic interference.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good stuff, thanks.

I have the standard audio, no amp/sub. I'm putting in a headunit, amp, new speakers, and basslink. I'll post a build thread of my components soon. They are supposed to be in on wed/thurs to start install.

I'm really hoping to mount the amp in the dash next to the steering column. If that doesn't work, i'll put it under the seat. I bought a small class D amp, an NVX 4000.4 which is a clone of the Polk 4000.4 made by the same manufacturer.

If I can get the amp in the dash, the RCAs will go to the left, and speaker cables to the right out from the amp.

I need to go out to the jeep and take some trim/dash off to get a lay of the land. Just need this rain to go away.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Standard or Premium there is no need to run speaker wires (unless you are adding a radio and bypassing the OEM amplifier) in that case you would run 9 wire (speed wire) from the OEM amplifier to your aftermarket amplifier. In most cases 18ga is fine for aftermarket speakers. Unless you are doing something very high end like Focal Utopia's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts