Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2008 wrangler two door. With a automatic trans. 3.8 v-6. I bought with only 4000 miles from the stealer about a year ago. My question is i think the last owner might of changed the rear gearing. But i dont know how to find out what it has. I replaced rear end with a fresh gasket due to a small drip. So i know the rear end cap was taken off at one point. I did find some numbers on the main gear. It says 7N Dana D 2008689 p8L015 41 11. The axle says AA373. Does this make any sense.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
if the jeep looks stock, odds are the gearing is stock. usually you don't see JK's regeared with 33's and smaller.

what tire size is on the jeep? any lift, or bumpers or anything? it's also very rare that gears are the first mod done to a jeep.

if it has been changed, there's 2 ways to check. the first is open the axle up. check out the R&P and start counting teeth.

the other is pick up the rear of the jeep. turn the tires by hand and count driveshaft rotations.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Yep, I'd suggest counting tire rotations....

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
To find out what was on there stock can't you use your VIN on some web site? I think I've read that mentioned here and there on the forum.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Put a mark on the drive shaft. Put a mark on the tire. Turn the tire and count how many revolutions of the tire to cause one revolution of the drive shaft. Then you will know the ratio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts