Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ has a 4" lift with 35s and stock 3.07 gears, 3 speed 32HR auto trans, Dana 35 rear, Dana 30 front. It has serious power loss but it's a daily driver and used on the highway a lot. I am having it regeared and the shop recommended 4.88 gears in order to return the power to stock levels. They said this will allow for better gas mileage as well. My buddy says it's gonna tach the hell outta the engine and rob me of MPGs. Does anyone know if this is a good gear ratio for my needs?

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Depends on your engine. If it's the 4.0L, 4.56 would be good. If it's a 4 cylinder, use the 4.88's. Hopefully you have already, or are going to upgrade the axle shafts in your D35 to handle the 35" tires.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on your engine. If it's the 4.0L, 4.56 would be good. If it's a 4 cylinder, use the 4.88's. Hopefully you have already, or are going to upgrade the axle shafts in your D35 to handle the 35" tires.
yes, they're doing the axles to. Thanks for the info, it's a 4.0L

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
X2, 4.56 would absolutely be the ideal ratio for 35's and the 3-speed automatic with the 4.0L .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
X2, 4.56 would absolutely be the ideal ratio for 35's and the 3-speed automatic with the 4.0L .
So, I went back to the shop this morning and discussed the gears with them. Luckily they had not yet installed the 4.88s. I told them I wanted 4.56s instead and I also made sure that the new axle shafts were the upgraded heavier duty shafts for my 35s. They are also installing the Detroit Truetrac differential. Thanks for all the input from everyone.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Good decision. I installed 4.88 gears for my 35" tires when my TJ still had its 5-speed transmission which was an ideal combination. Then I converted the 5-speed to the 32RH and my RPMs were a little too high on the highway afterward. Livable but not ideal like it would have been with 4.56 gears.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey guys, so i am having a grinding issue in the rear end; Longstory-short, i have a 3"bb lift and 33" tires - do you think upgrading my axles wiould benefit? Especially since it sounds like i might end up rebuilding the dana35 rear diff?

(97' 5 speed 4.0L v6)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
hey guys, so i am having a grinding issue in the rear end; Longstory-short, i have a 3"bb lift and 33" tires - do you think upgrading my axles wiould benefit? Especially since it sounds like i might end up rebuilding the dana35 rear diff?

(97' 5 speed 4.0L v6)
Probably has more to do with drive line vibes if you don't have an sye, transfer case drop, or motor mount lift and have lifted it 3"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts