Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this yj and it has 31 x 10.5 x 15 tires on it. Stock is 205. Build sheet says it has 2.5 cyl with Ax5 manual tranny. Gearing is supposed to be 4:10. What gearing should i go to to get some of the power back? And how do i determine if it still has 4:10's in it?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have read that if you pull the diff cover you can count the teeth on the ring and pinion gears and do the math, example 75 / 15 = 5, I think you get the idea. I have also read that going to 4.86 (IIRC its 4.86) gears will help.

You won't get any huge gains but you might see a difference on hills and you might even be able to use 5th gear.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
first swap out the rear axle. It isn't worth it to spend a dime on the Dana 35. then go as low as you can 4:88 is a nice gear in a 4 banger then swap out the stupid CAD system with a solid long side axle shaft and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
take the money you would spend on all that and either trade yours for one with a 6 cylinder or do a v8 swap on yours and you will probably love your 4.10 gears..in my opinion your gears aren't the problem,power is

1 - 5 of 5 Posts