Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm sure that you all have had this one before, but I'm gonna post it anyway...

I'm putting 35's under my 2006 Unlimited. Do I do 4.56 gears so the jeep is like factory?, 4.88 gears so gears are in between? or 5.13 gears for the power???

Please help? I'm leaning towards the 4.88 gears...

Thank you all,

G

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
auto or man?

rubicon or not

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Automatic... and Not. I'm just about to put a Rubicon 4 1/2" lift with 35's, drive shafts, SYE, and the list goes on but I'm not too sure what to do about the gearing...

·
Registered
313 Posts
I was told 4.88 (for 33s) by Jerry B for the auto because of the ridiculously high overdrive of the 42 rle auto. Mines an 05 lj

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you have stock 3.73 now and you don't plan to change the rear carrier you will need to get "thick cut" gears for the d44 rear too.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Don't go with anything less than 4.88, 4.56 is not even close to providing enough gear for 35" tires with your 4-speed automatic. And if you have a Rubicon which allows ratios beyond 4.88, you should really go to at least 5.13 for 35" tires. No, I'm not kidding. Why? Because your 4-speed automatic has such a high overdrive ratio that it drops the RPMs on the highway to such a low number (OD drops the RPMs by about 1K) that the engine lugs too easily with big tires.

I bought my present TJ used with 35" tires and 4.88 gears with the same transmission as you and the 4.88 gearing is not quite enough. Don't even consider 4.56.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Don't go with anything less than 4.88, 4.56 is not even close to providing enough gear for 35" tires with your 4-speed automatic. And if you have a Rubicon which allows ratios beyond 4.88, you should really go to at least 5.13 for 35" tires. No, I'm not kidding. Why? Because your 4-speed automatic has such a high overdrive ratio that it drops the RPMs on the highway to such a low number (OD drops the RPMs by about 1K) that the engine lugs too easily with big tires.

I bought my present TJ used with 35" tires and 4.88 gears with the same transmission as you and the 4.88 gearing is not quite enough. Don't even consider 4.56.
:hijacked: Hey Jerry quick question. I have a 2000 sport 4.0 5 speed D44 rear 3.73 gears. im wanting to run 33's what would be my best gearing option?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much guys...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Gearing Opinion

I am sure this has been covered but I cannot seem to find it. What gear ratio would be best for 2000 TJ, 4.0. 3 speed automatic trans, 33" tires. 80% road 20% easy to moderate off road use.
Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
I am sure this has been covered but I cannot seem to find it. What gear ratio would be best for 2000 TJ, 4.0. 3 speed automatic trans, 33" tires. 80% road 20% easy to moderate off road use.
Thanks
4.10 would be ideal for your 3-speed automatic, 33" tires, and 4.0L.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
4.88's are just about perfect if you ask me. I have the AW4 in mine and I was running 35's with 4.88's.
Your AW4 is a 4-speed automatic with a reasonable overdrive ratio and 4.88 is indeed ideal for it... 4.88 just isn't ideal for the other transmissions being discussed above. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Jerry. I have heard about the 5.13 more and more since I have been looking in to this. Sorry to heard about your 97' jeep, what are you running in your 04' for gears. And I do highway driving a lot if you know how are the 5.13 on gas???

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Thank you Jerry. I have heard about the 5.13 more and more since I have been looking in to this. Sorry to heard about your 97' jeep, what are you running in your 04' for gears. And I do highway driving a lot if you know how are the 5.13 on gas???
My replacement TJ came with 35" tires, 4.88 gears, and the same transmission you have. The 4.88 gears are poor at best, the engine lugs all the time and my hand is always having to turn the overdrive off for even minor grades. If I win the lottery, I'll regear to 5.13 or maybe even 5.38.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts