Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my buddy needed to light his cigarette and his work vans cigarette lighter is broken. He asks if I have one. I don't smoke so it really doesn't matter to me if I have one or not. So I say "yea sure" because every vehicle I have ever owned has one. My 2011 F150 4X4 SCREW Platinum 6.2L V8 (I miss terribly the power and luxury) had one. I reach down to push it in and I find I don't have one in my brand new 2013 JKUR. Why? WTF?

Ps. Although I do miss my 4X4 SCREW Platinum 6.2. My JKUR Makes me smile everyday from ear to ear. I know it won't leave me high centered like my SCREW did.:D:punk:

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
It became the smoker's group. And is now a factory order. Comes with the lighter and an ashtray that fits in the cup holder. I got the ash tray off ebay to use as a change and pen holder.

Bob K.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so its a package order type deal. If I was to get the lighter, would it go in the 12v outlet or is it attached to the ash tray?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Check with the dealer. I do not believe the stock 12VDC outlet can handle the draw of a lighter. It would be a replacement socket. The ashtray is a can with a lid that fits in the drinkholder. Nothing else to it.

Bob K.

·
Registered
414 Posts
They are no longer cigarette lighters. They are now 12 volt outlets. Of course, how many of us old timers say "I need to plug my phone into the 12 volt outlet." I still call it the cigarette lighter and my kids look at me confused.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Not that I need one just feel like I should have one. My vehicle doesn't seem complete without it. Lol
2005 Grand Caravan
2007 Nissan Murano
2009 Honda Odyssey

NONE of them came with cigarette lighters. You had to add the 'Smokers Group' for an extra fee. I guess that extra $30 per vehicle is where all their profit is.

:rofl:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I pulled the "smoker's group" ash can and lighter from my 2009 before trading it in on my2013. The lighter works fine in the 12 volt receptacle in the dash below the radio.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To me its just an iconic thing that every vehicle should have. @joeuncool, I'm right there with ya. I still and always will be plugging my cell phone charger in the cigarette lighter. Lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've never smoked. But I have used a car cigarette lighter to start many a camp fire in the middle of no where. The first vehicle I bought that didn't have one, it felt like it was missing a safety device.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I smoked for over a decade, quit 4 years ago, and until reading this thread I had totally forgotten that cigarette lighters used to be standard in most cars. Lol I can't imagine why non smokers would care!

That said, I think the authentic cigarette lighter outlets were more robust than the 12v outlets in modern vehicles... Now I miss them too!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Picked a jeep off the lot, 2013 JK. Came with the cigarette lighter. I've owned 5 vehicles and they all had them..first I've heard of this!

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
My 2002 Xterra, 2011 Patriot, and now 2013 JKU all did not come with one. I quit smoking a little over 2 years ago after smoking for over 30 years and my wife quit 1 year ago. Now we use e-cigarettes. No lighter needed for us anymore. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
My 2002 Xterra, 2011 Patriot, and now 2013 JKU all did not come with one. I quit smoking a little over 2 years ago after smoking for over 30 years and my wife quit 1 year ago. Now we use e-cigarettes. No lighter needed for us anymore. :)
This makes for a funny full circle on technology. With a USB adapter plugged into the 'cigarette lighter' maybe you could charge your e-cig!

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Had a 2000 Grand Prix that had a cigarette lighter. I tossed it out and used it as just 12v power.

My only gripe with the JK is where they put it. On the passenger side they put this paper clip thing, but on the drivers side they put the 12v plug so when I got something plugged in, my knee gets in the way. It should be on the other side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts