Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone else has done in a pinch or lack of caring... Just recently I was replacing a broken leaf spring, needed a bushing for the new spring, had an hour before we were loaded the jeeps up to go wheeling and no one in town had a bushing...I took the old bushing wrapped it with duct tape until it fit snug and installed everything... worked great...been meaning to get around to putting a real bushing in there... Broke an upper shock mount, used zip ties to keep the shock hanging up in the air so it would drag on the ground... Duct tape on broken radiator hoses, speaker wire to rig the fuel pump to keep running... god there has got to be a million more but ill let someone else chime in.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Omg I don't even think I can count the Jerry riggings on my jeep.

Well for starters, my last wrangler had 3 pulleys held on by various objects. One had one of my sons crib bolts. Another had a 14mm socket as a gigantic washer.
The intake box was my Mustang's stock air box ( I got it with a stupid cone that sucked in water).

My new YJ has brake lines, shifter cable, and various other components held together by zip ties.

That's all I can think of for now

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably almost anything just so I can get through till I can really fix it..

i usually do that too, and then put off fixing it the 'right' way with the 'right' parts because its working as of now anyway....

·
Aka Vaultzz
5,624 Posts
I can't get the frame bolt out of my front track bar and I hate driving with it attached so its zip tied to the front cross member to hold it off the axle :D

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
I haven't had to do anyting yet with this one, but have repaired the top with duct tape on my old 87

·
Registered
802 Posts
"Jury-rigged", which means "assembled in a makeshift manner",
is attested since 1788. It comes from "jury mast", a nautical term
attested since 1616 for a temporary mast made from any available
spar when the mast has broken or been lost overboard. The OED
dubiously recorded a suggestion that this was short for "injury
mast", but recent dictionaries say that it is probably from Old
French ajurie="help or relief", from Latin adiutare="to aid"
(the source of the English word "adjutant").

"Jerry-built", which the OED defines as "built unsubstantially of
bad materials; built to sell but not last" is attested since 1869,
and is said to have arisen in Liverpool. It has been fancifully
derived from the Biblical city of Jericho, whose walls came tumbling
down; from the prophet Jeremiah, because he foretold decay; from the
name of a building firm on the Mersey; from "jelly", signifying
instability; from French jour="day" (workers paid day-by-day
considered less likely to do a good job); and from the Romany
gerry="excrement". More likely, it is linked to earlier
pejorative uses of the name Jerry ("jerrymumble", to knock about,
1721; "Jerry Sneak", a henpecked husband, 1764; "jerry", a cheap
beer house, 1861); and it may have been influenced by "jury-rigged".

"Jerry" as British slang for "a German, especially a German
soldier" is not attested until 1898 and is unconnected with
"jerry-built".

I had always heard it as "jury - rigged" but I'm old.....

·
Registered
802 Posts
more........

"Jerry-rig” is a blend of “jerry-built” and “jury-rig,” but only recently have these two terms begun to mingle. The earliest date for “jerry-rig” given in any major dictionary is 1959, and some dictionaries don’t include it at all, for they still consider it a mistaken form—a garble."

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you say tomato i say tamoto... :cool:

·
Registered
19,285 Posts
liquid duct tape.(gas tank).its my friend oh and baling wire(tail pipe) bungee chords....seats...never mind the electrical tape

·
Registered
138 Posts
Used a cardboard box from a fram filter to make a thermostat gasket while on trail. Had to remove it because it became defective while out. I was losing coolant everywhere. Removed the thermostat, everything was fine.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
broke off a bolt on my exhaust manifold and mannaged to fix it with an sweet homemade c clamp from an old shop class.... hockey pucks made up the bed bushings on my dakota and coat hangers are the best for hanging exhaust

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sometimes I will use coat hangar wire as filler rod when gas welding exhaust pipe. The wire and pipe are both cheap quality so they tend to weld well together.
Egg whites as a radiator stop leak.
Vice grips as a battery clamp.
Before owning my own Mills. I used to use a router with a counter top edging bit to enlarge the center hole on aluminum rims to fit my Ford hubs.
Chewing gum as a "bulkhead insulator" when running wires through body panels.
Over the years I have made quite a selection of specialty tools.
Used jumper cables as welding cables when DC SMAW welding on the trail.
When my fuel pump went out I used an old dish soap bottle as a fuel tank. I duct taped it to my dash, and used windshield washer hose to connect the bottle to the carb.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I have 3 3/4 inch sockets holding my throttle cable up from when I installed a throttle body spacer...

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I have quite a few but this is the most recent.

This is my softtop bow strap, one on each side they both ripped where they were riveted to the rear bar. Nothing a tie down can't fix.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Ran a dome-light bypass switch from the fuse panel to the dash, that's about it for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts