Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read a set or two of 6-ton jack stands are a must.

However, trying to determine which hydraulic jack I should get as well to ensure I can jack the JK high enough.

I assume I would be jacking from under the axle housing to get the jeep high enough to slide in the 6 ton jacks?

So how high of a hydraulic jack should I be looking for?

TIA. (and please correct me I am wrong on my above assumptions)

ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
Ive read a set or two of 6-ton jack stands are a must.

However, trying to determine which hydraulic jack I should get as well to ensure I can jack the JK high enough.

I assume I would be jacking from under the axle housing to get the jeep high enough to slide in the 6 ton jacks?

So how high of a hydraulic jack should I be looking for?

TIA. (and please correct me I am wrong on my above assumptions)
I have a standard (if there is such a thing) 3 ton floor jack and I can get the frame up high enough to get the 6 ton stands under there no problem. In my opinion, the higher the lift the better for the jack. We're not working on dropped cars where we need a low profile jack so the higher the lift the better! Let me know if you have other questions.

-Ryan

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Why six ton stands? I've never heard that before. Just for the height?
Yea. 6 ton tend to be higher than 3 ton. However, this isnt a hard rule as I have seen "hi-lift 3/3.5 ton jack stands" as well.

I guess I was trying to determine if there was a minimum height that I wanted to target in a new hydraulic jack as their max height can vary quite a bit.

Registered
I have this 3 ton floor jack from Home Depot and it works great. I bought this jack specifically because it has a lift height of 21". You may want to measure from the bottle of your axle to the ground to get an idea of what jack height you will need. I would take that measurement and add a few inches. I have 33" tires on my JKU and this jack lifts the Jeep plenty high enough.

Husky 3-Ton SUV Floor Jack-T83006 at The Home Depot

Registered
If you have a Harbor Freight in the area you can find great deals on high lift jacks and stands. I think my jack lifts 21" if I remember correctly. I had to set my 6 ton jacks on railroad ties to get the height I needed under the frame when I did my lift.

Registered
Harbor Freight is the way to go. I used the 3.5 Ton jack for $80 and two 6 ton floor jacks for about $40. I also grabbed a pair of coil compressors that I put on while the jeep had weight on it so the spring would stay compressed while I took it off. Made putting it back on with spacers alot easier.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
2" ton Harbor Freight. Lifts up to 23 3/4", highest one they have IIRC.
This one i assume?

Low Profile Floor Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump庐 Jack

The fact that is it "low profile" is counter intuitive but could be useful my for S2000 as well.

I guess since we are not lifting full weight of Jeep with a jack, 2 tons is enough? Would prefer this guy in 3 ton if they had it although probably not needed.

Registered
Harbor Freight is the way to go. I used the 3.5 Ton jack for $80 and two 6 ton floor jacks for about $40. I also grabbed a pair of coil compressors that I put on while the jeep had weight on it so the spring would stay compressed while I took it off. Made putting it back on with spacers alot easier.
The 3 ton Husky floor jack at Home Depot is $70.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
The 3 ton Husky floor jack at Home Depot is $70.
Have you had good experience with that jack?

Does extension on it seem sturdy?

That seems like a viable option at almost 21" of lift. By lifting via the axle should be plenty of lift height I would imagine.

Also - do you know if they sell the Husky in store or would I have to order online?

Looks like TORIN might make this jack and can get on Amazon Prime...nice...

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T83006-Ton-Service-Jack/dp/B0028JW4PU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-2&keywords=husky+floor+jack

Registered
Have you had good experience with that jack?

Does extension on it seem sturdy?

That seems like a viable option at almost 21" of lift. By lifting via the axle should be plenty of lift height I would imagine.

Also - do you know if they sell the Husky in store or would I have to order online?
Looks like TORIN might make this jack and can get on Amazon Prime...nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T83006-Ton-Service-Jack/dp/B0028JW4PU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-2&keywords=husky+floor+jack
I have been using this jack for about 8 years now and I have had no problems at all with it. My previous vehicle was a Toyota Tacoma pre-runner so I needed a jack with a good bit of lift. I have used this jack on my 2013 JKU with 33" tires and it lifts it with no problem. The extension on it is very sturdy. When I bought this jack 8 years ago, I bought it in a Home Depot store. I do not know if it is still sold in the store or not. If you have a store nearby, you may want to stop by and check. That Torin jack on Amazon appears to be the same jack as the Husky. Torin must make the Husky jacks for Home Depot. This jack on the Home Depot web site is $69 and it has free shipping. The same jack on Amazon is $89.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I have been using this jack for about 8 years now and I have had no problems at all with it. My previous vehicle was a Toyota Tacoma pre-runner so I needed a jack with a good bit of lift. I have used this jack on my 2013 JKU with 33" tires and it lifts it with no problem. The extension on it is very sturdy. When I bought this jack 8 years ago, I bought it in a Home Depot store. I do not know if it is still sold in the store or not. If you have a store nearby, you may want to stop by and check. That Torin jack on Amazon appears to be the same jack as the Husky. Torin must make the Husky jacks for Home Depot. This jack on the Home Depot web site is $69 and it has free shipping. The same jack on Amazon is $89.
For some reason, the original Amazon search showed $69 for me...

Registered
For some reason, the original Amazon search showed $69 for me...
I just looked again and it does show $69 on Amazon. For some reason when I opened that link, it shows the price at $89.99, but below then it shows another buying option for $69 and free shipping. Weird.

Anyway, $69 plus free 2 day shipping is a good deal if you cannot find the jack locally in a Home Depot store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts