Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41781 - 41800 of 41814 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Rubicon, 4.0, automatic (stock for now)
468 Posts
I took off the doors and went for a drive yesterday. I wish it could have been longer, but I had other stuff to do. Hopefully I will be taking a quick trip down a local truck trail soon just to get away from the congestion of the city for a bit.

·
Premium Member
2005 limited edition Willy's Jeep, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, 33in tires on 15in steel wheels.
19 Posts
Your going to love it! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
I past 500 miles since the gear change, so I took it in to change the rear gear oil. They told me that I should wait for another 500 miles before I tow the jeep trailer. I'd better get out and start driving more, so I can take the trailer out this year. As for the front, they told me that the front axle must be engaged in order to break it in. So I am way behind the curve for that too.

·
Banned
176 Posts
I past 500 miles since the gear change, so I took it in to change the rear gear oil. They told me that I should wait for another 500 miles before I tow the jeep trailer. I'd better get out and start driving more, so I can take the trailer out this year. As for the front, they told me that the front axle must be engaged in order to break it in. So I am way behind the curve for that too.
Your not towing in 4x4......so shouldnt be an issue

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
P0174 last year. Codes popping up again over the last week or so. Occasional rough idle, was taking just a couple more revolutions when starting, but started every time... Thursday, crank/no-start. Suspect fuel pump assembly with over 220k miles on it. Replaced Friday. Started right up, runs stronger than ever! I think the fuel pressure had been weak for a long time. Rusty bolts on the skid plate. Two snapped on the back and could not get a socket on the crumbling nuts up front. Quickest way for me to get this done in one day was to jack the body up and replace the pump from the top! Done and runs great now! No codes.

·
Registered
468 Posts
^ that’s ingenious!
I removed my high mounted center brake light. It’s burnt out anyway and I want to paint it. The fiberglass is getting on people anytime they touch it. I am going to replace it down the road with something, but haven’t liked what I have seen yet.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
^ that’s ingenious!
I removed my high mounted center brake light. It’s burnt out anyway and I want to paint it. The fiberglass is getting on people anytime they touch it. I am going to replace it down the road with something, but haven’t liked what I have seen yet.
Thanks! Had to work next day, so quickest and easiest was what I needed to do here.

If you have a pristine museum piece, that technique may not be for the squeamish...
Front fenders flexed a little in the middle, because I had the back end up so high and did not loosen up mounts at the very front. You can see the slight curve of the red line I added to the photo. (Hood was popped open, so can't really judge from the gaps you see there.) Live and learn...

No permanent damage to the fenders. She came right back around, when I set the body back down. Nice and flat, no noticeable dents or creases. Nobody but me will ever know... Got the whole job done in less than an hour, after I aborted my attempt to drop the skid plate and jack the tub. Would I do it again, if I had to? Hell, yah!

Here's irony for ya... After fixing the crank/no-start... I can't shut the thing OFF! (The lock had been stubborn to turn from RUN to OFF, but always managed to turn with a little effort. Was on my list, but kept getting bumped.)

That is the precise moment that the tired old lock cylinder and worn out key decided not to play nice together any longer. I could pull the key completely out with the TJ running, but could no longer turn the ignition back to the off position.

Back to NAPA... They had a replacement non-SKIM lock cylinder with keys on the shelf and 20 minutes before closing time. Made it in time and installed the new lock. Just how my luck rolls sometimes, when it comes to projects!

On your brake light... I recently got a Rugged Ridge LED light ring from Quadratec. There are ones for about half the price on Amazon and Ebay, but this one is really sturdy ABS and the LEDs are enclosed in silicone for weather protection. Nice unit.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I might just go that route. I had to drop the gas tank on my 91 Silverado, not fun without any help or a floor jack. Used 550 cord to hold the 3/4 full tank up after I pulled all the bolts. I guess I didn’t have it tied very well because I had to deal with three broken ribs and being covered in gas when one side fell on me. Wont let that happen again, but I was young and bulletproof. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,597 Posts
Been chasing a super annoying rotational squeak for a while now...while on this rabbit hunt, I changed both axle shaft U-joints, rebuilt the rear driveshaft, and complete refresh of front and rear brakes with a full brake fluid flush. Oh and flushed both differentials. I haven't found the source of the squeak yet, but everything I've done was in pretty bad condition, so it's been some good preventative maintenance anyways. The search continues though...
20210504_203505.jpg
20210505_213908.jpg
20210506_215536.jpg
20210507_175429.jpg
20210507_175449.jpg

·
Banned
176 Posts
Been chasing a super annoying rotational squeak for a while now...while on this rabbit hunt, I changed both axle shaft U-joints, rebuilt the rear driveshaft, and complete refresh of front and rear brakes with a full brake fluid flush. Oh and flushed both differentials. I haven't found the source of the squeak yet, but everything I've done was in pretty bad condition, so it's been some good preventative maintenance anyways. The search continues though...
View attachment 4506905 View attachment 4506906 View attachment 4506907 View attachment 4506908 View attachment 4506909
Bad ass

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
View attachment 4506908
Working in a parking garage...You may not think of that as ideal, but I am jealous of your working conditions! Flat floor, high ceilings, out of the elements... SOOO jealous!

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,597 Posts
Working in a parking garage...You may not think of that as ideal, but I am jealous of your working conditions! Flat floor, high ceilings, out of the elements... SOOO jealous!
Just don't tell my apartment complex :eek: definitely doing the work in the bottom corner to try to not get caught haha...But yeah it's a pretty legit setup for sure, especially since I moved out to Colorado and we are still getting snow. The main downside is when you need another tool from your 5th-floor apartment and have to walk a distance to the elevators, wait for them, then walk a bunch to my room and back, but eh just a minor inconvenience I guess. Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just don't tell my apartment complex :eek: definitely doing the work in the bottom corner to try to not get caught haha...But yeah it's a pretty legit setup for sure, especially since I moved out to Colorado and we are still getting snow. The main downside is when you need another tool from your 5th-floor apartment and have to walk a distance to the elevators, wait for them, then walk a bunch to my room and back, but eh just a minor inconvenience I guess. Cheers
I was gonna say it must suck bringing all your tools down but its pretty neat working in the garage. Must be some interesting elevator talk when you got your jack and all your tools with you lol.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I was gonna say it must suck bringing all your tools down but its pretty neat working in the garage. Must be some interesting elevator talk when you got your jack and all your tools with you lol.
Plenty of head room to install a lift in the corner! Hang a few blue tarps to enclose it and put signs on it that say "Pardon Our Appearance... Crime Scene Biohazard Cleanup In Progress". Nobody will go near it, including the manager! To really make this work, you need to be wearing a Tyvek suit, exam gloves and face shield when entering and leaving the "crime scene".

If the manager does peek in and identify that you own the setup... Offer to do free oil changes and tire rotations for the building manager. You'll be sure to win him (or her) over and if anyone asks, they'll just say "I'll get right on that" and never actually do anything about the complaints...

Reactions: XBD

·
Registered
468 Posts
Removed the plastic flairs to prep and spray them with bed liner. A bit of a pain and took a little while, but should allow me to do a better job then being worried about over spray. I thought about doing the whole front fender, but I’m not sure yet. Any thoughts about that?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Removed the plastic flairs to prep and spray them with bed liner. A bit of a pain and took a little while, but should allow me to do a better job then being worried about over spray. I thought about doing the whole front fender, but I’m not sure yet. Any thoughts about that? View attachment 4507912
Tough choice on bed lining the fenders or not... Downside: You would never know when the fenders rust through. Upside: You would never know when the fenders rust through...

On mine, I would tend not to cover the metal on the fenders. On the other hand, my front fenders have already bubbled through the top a little. Maybe I'll cover it up and pretend it didn't happen.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Finally got rid of the mismatched, 10 year+ old hard-as-brass tires on the '99, and with the help of the Discount Tire rep here on the forum, arranged the purchase of five brand spankin' new Milestar Patagonias. Since I only drive this vehicle about 2500 miles a year I was hesitant to buy a super-expensive set of tires that will probably get hard long before they wear out. I have to say I'm impressed with these so far - VERY quiet for M/Ts, and a very nice ride with good wet traction on pavement.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well fixed my hard to start problem today by replacing my fuel pump. Well kinda confirmed it as when I went to depressurize the line at the fuel rail only 2 drops came out.

Job was pretty uneventful but found out the PO broke the wiring harness pin and locked it in with a bunch of electrical tape, so that was fun.

My tank was a 15 gallon so I went ahead and did the 19 gallon mod while I was at it. And yes that is the fuel filter sock of the old pump, it was literally falling apart.

tank was pretty dirty and cleaned it the best I could with a strainer. My gas gauge finally works now and the jeep starts right away now.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Well fixed my hard to start problem today by replacing my fuel pump. Well kinda confirmed it as when I went to depressurize the line at the fuel rail only 2 drops came out.
View attachment 4510809
You're lucky! After breaking two bolts on the back edge and not getting anything to grip crumbling nuts on the front, I had to "go nucular" and jack the body off the frame. (See above...) It all worked out.

Reactions: DBoat and Winks42

·
Registered
106 Posts
You're lucky! After breaking two bolts on the back edge and not getting anything to grip crumbling nuts on the front, I had to "go nucular" and jack the body off the frame. (See above...) It all worked out.
I was wondering why you decided to do that lol. Then I read what happened. I got lucky as I thought the bolts would be on there pretty good but i soaked them in pb blaster for the whole week prior and made getting them off a breeze.

but I’ve cut my fair share of rusted bolt off with my angle grinder

41781 - 41800 of 41814 Posts