Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

What I did to my TJ today

4M views 43K replies 4K participants last post by  JBryan314 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Please feel free to add your own vehicle wrenching / adventure stories to this Thread.

Attachments

See less See more
#41,328 ·
As far as I can tell, this used to be green at some point!
I started getting ready for some serious work this month! Started flushing the crap out of the cooling system in preparation for new radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and hoses next week. While all that is torn out, I'll be replacing the 210k mile timing chain, timing gears and the seal/gasket on the timing cover too. So over the weekend, I am running Preston Flush+Clean with distilled water for the weekend commute, then another few flushes of fresh water before I start demolition work.

#41,330 ·
As far as I can tell, this used to be green at some point!
I started getting ready for some serious work this month! Started flushing the crap out of the cooling system in preparation for new radiator, water pump, fan clutch, thermostat and hoses next week. While all that is torn out, I'll be replacing the 210k mile timing chain, timing gears and the seal/gasket on the timing cover too. So over the weekend, I am running Preston Flush+Clean with distilled water for the weekend commute, then another few flushes of fresh water before I start demolition work. View attachment 4431654
It always feels good to get this kind of stuff done. I need to go through mine and do that.

#41,331 ·
I got the new platform carpeted today and added some tie down points. I then built a tailgate table. I've been wanting to do this for a while. It came out great!
Epoxied a hard drive magnet to the wood and it snaps closed perfectly. View attachment 4431788
Nice work! That set-up is really coming along!

#41,332 ·
My Vision X headlights came in earlier this week and I put them on today. I have yet to test them out, but I've been plenty happy with the JW Speaker Evolution J2s I previously had on.

That said, I'm not sure which I prefer aesthetically. I like how the Vision X blends in with the chrome grille and goes back to a somewhat stock look if you don't pay too close attention. However, the grille contrast with the black headlights and matching the black paint looks good as well.

#41,334 ·
Replaced the timing chain/gears in my ‘01. Had the pan off about 6 months ago and noticed a lot of slack (close to 1/2”).
Pulled the font of and put the new one in. Old one was worse than before. Guess it was to be expected after 16 miles short of 179,000 miles.
Back together and running well. Front end is quieter, but still noisy in back. It has always been a ticker, since I got it.
Also found out my alternator is cracked on the bottom. Guess I’ll be getting a new one, soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#41,335 ·
finished wiring the twin compressor under the hood and removed the throttle body spacer the previous owner installed. Those are the dumbest things ever sold for cars, especially straight six tractor engines. Pretty sure all it did was move the throttle cable bracket so it pulled on the cable slightly. Like I was always slightly on the gas. Engine idles better and the trans shifts smoother now. I have to say, the M.O.R.E. under hood mount for the arb twin compressor in a TJ is top notch. Just don't have a throttle body spacer (which you shouldn't in the first place) I'll upload photos in a bit when I get home.

#41,336 ·
I've been working on some cleaning during quarantine. My seats had gotten pretty grungy from camping. I've tried about every stain remover I could think off but they still look like crap. So I'm looking for some new seat covers and found some I like here 8 Best Seat Covers for Tacoma – Breathe New Life into Your Toyota . Problem is I can't decide which, any suggestions?

#41,339 ·
Any chance you have specs for that?
I imported this design from Jeep TJ Center Console by Dylankrajnik and then used meshmixer to make it a little more shallow so that I still have some room below. Sliced it with Cura and printed with PLA filament. I wonder why Jeep never did this, but am thankful for the technology to fix their oversight.

#41,340 ·
Snowing and sloppy up here yesterday so I decided to install the Poison Spyder cheese grater that I've had laying around for a couple months.
20200524_125423 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Bought it bare... primed and bedlined it.
20200524_125359 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

20200524_125337 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

My favorite thing to do....
20200524_143330 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Look Ma, I made sum bigass speed holes
20200524_144757 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

20200524_175747 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

20200524_183723 by GhostCreekMine, on Flickr

Easy to install, instructions provided on the accurate template are excellent.