Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
101 - 120 of 261 Posts
Got to work this weekend. Had my brother, dad and brother in law drive into Houston from Atlanta. Replaced the power steering pump, new spark plugs, installed some Polk Audios and got rid of the factory speakers, headlight relay mod and installed the KC windshield mount with Warn SDB 160's. A little wrench time and some beers with good company.

Started to install my neww rock climber/tire carrier and everything was going great until the last bolt. You know the ones that bolt onto the bottom of the frame!? Yeah, I broke off one of those. So yeah after drilling, trying to use the "easy-out," I snapped the it off in the hole. With that, I got my angle grinder and made a precision cut to basically muscle the welded nut out. With that said, I'll be welding a new anchor nut in there tomorrow though I may devise a metal plate with a nut welded to it so I can make a floating nut plate.

This week I bought my first wrangler. I have had a couple mid 80's cherokees but never a wrangler.

Sorry for any typos. Sending from phone.

--95 wrangler Rio Grande. 135,000 miles.
--No body damage
--Good paint job (a couple of minor issues on hood is it.)
--no major mechanical issues.
--minor issues will cost less then $100 for parts.
--barely used besttop w/scratch free smoke color plastic
--my jeep mechanic (also a good friend doesn't believe it has ever left the road.
--brand new, bottom of the line, stock tires
-- interior in great shape. Pretty new jvc stereo and jenson sound bar.
--vehicle looks like it is all stock except milk jugs removed. Dealer put on bad replacements.
--leased for two years then purchased. So only one or two owners.
--in Colorado wranglers often exceed kelly blue book value because of high demand.
-- blue book is $5,993. Dealer was asking $5875. I paid $4800

I have:
A roomate with a full garage including cherry picker and a crazy moded 83 cj,
a good friend with ten years as a jeep and 4x4 mechanic who looked really closely at the jeep, with me during test drive,
A good friend who is an expert metal fabricator,
A high school friend who has been a jeep guy since high school and works in parts department of a major dealership.
And another buddy who works at AutoZone.

Overall a very good week for my new yj!

Beside rebuilding the rear driveshaft, working on rust repair, and trying to polish up my crappy soft windows, I'm trying a little experiment: I'm going to drive and shift according to the shift light whenever possible to see how it effects mileage. Just doing it for shits and giggles. Curiosity has gotten the best of me!

Beside rebuilding the rear driveshaft, working on rust repair, and trying to polish up my crappy soft windows, I'm trying a little experiment: I'm going to drive and shift according to the shift light whenever possible to see how it effects mileage. Just doing it for shits and giggles. Curiosity has gotten the best of me!
Funny, I've thought of doing that too but people would hate me because of my even slower slow acceleration.

Got some things done this week

Was able to do a few projects on the Jeep this week. I bedlined the center caps of the wheels, installed a new RC steering stablelizer, wrapped the rusty headpipe and tailpipe with header wrap, installed polyurathane shock bushings, and installed my new Husky toolbox.

Was going to order a headlight harness, but yesterday a brief power outage fried the main board of our refrigerator. So, harness money is going to replace the main board of the fridge. It's always something!

What I did to my YJ this week

Fabbed some custom battery cables with zinc plate terminals and 2/0 welding leads wrapped and sealed with pure rubber (?) 3M splicing tape then covered with harness loom for protection against oil and contaminents, used 4 guage wire to run to the fuse panel. Eliminated useless vacuum and solenoids in engine bay, bypassed vacuum switched front axle lock with a fabbed that locks the fork in place, changed oil with wix filter and used Rotella 10/30, pulled dash to revive indicator lights for turn signals, eliminated all other bulbs, installed interior led light with rare earth magnet for utility purposes, ACF-50'd 90% of key areas ( Anti-Corrosion Formula - 50 not quite the same as WD-40 higher protection and especially useful for electrical components e.g. distributor. Visit ACF-50 webpage, stuff is awesome. ) Converted side markers to led's custom jobbers using factory housings, polished paint and blacked out the hinges but left the torx heads red which looks pretty cool, added hood-to-windshield bumpers, removed platic bumper extensions on front, pulled factory scissor jack and plan on restoring it ( not for use though ) fabricated 16 foot parrot beak jumper cables using 2/0 welding leads and more 3M splicing tape to keep in lock box, bolted Rubbermaid Locking tote in place of rear seat until I custom fabricate a steel locker box, Herculinered entire tub. Can't wait to Por-15 entire frame and under carriage. Now off to do more!

Put on a camo seat cover (DS), put new brakes (pads/rotors) on the front, and last but NOT least, installed an Aussie Locker in the rear diff. Locker took around 3 hours, made a incredible difference. Noisy s.o.b BTW.......BUT I LIKE IT.

101 - 120 of 261 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.