Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

What i did to my yj this week!!!!!

81K views 260 replies 114 participants last post by  SR_88 
#1 ·
We worked hard!!!:d

Attachments

See less See more
#228 ·
Finished the hardtop install on 'Spots, the Wonder Jeep'!

-

Then we realized it was lonely, so we got it some company. A '93 YJ.

Completely rust free, always garaged CA vehicle. Brand new Best Top, hardware and uppers, brakes and starter.

Almost bone stock. PO added 31s, cruise control, Tuffy console and a sound bar, all professionally installed.

4.0 with automatic, for these tired old legs! :)

Reactions: Airslot
#234 ·
Spent my jeep allowance for the month on a frivolous item.
I don't run a soft top and just use a Bestop Bikini top and half doors all year. So had a window tint outfit do a Ceramic BlackMax 80% film for the windshield, supposedly to reduce the heat from old Sol. Might work better for a jeep with full top and doors. The ceramic film doesn't not have a tint or very little if any and not reflective from visual point of view. So Im thinking this is just a placebo affect. Legal in Texas.

Ceramic film on the right and bottom.

Attachments

Reactions: JonStevens
#236 ·
Steer box seals leaked

Went to get some lunch and saw a large spot of oil.The power steering pump was dry. I had to get 3 quarts and every time I stopped, it all leaked out.
I got a seal kit from Quadratec and a 18mm line wrench and replaced the seals after removing the steering box.
I also replaced the steering shaft and lower bearing on the bottom of the steering column while I had the box out.
Steering is nice and tight now. :happyyes:

Reactions: JonStevens
#239 ·
Whole ton 'O stuff!

New exhaust collector
New oil pan
New oil pan gasket and stainless hardware
New greaseless u joints
POR15 on driveshafts
New clutch kit with new flywheel
New rear main seal
New trans seals
New transfer case seals
External slave cylinder conversion
De-rusted all hardware and/or replaced with stainless

Attachments

#241 ·
Way to go Highlander, must be a nice warm feeling to get all that done.
Looks great. I never thought about POR15 on a driveshaft.

Did you convert the AX5 to AX15 at the same time?

Good Luck, L.M.

#243 · (Edited)
YJ dash camera 5 min. video from a couple weeks ago when the family went to our far west Texas property and in the process of working on a off grid cabin. So it was kind of a working vacation.
There is a dead video spot from minute 2 to minute 3 that I'm opening the cable gate to my driveway and can fast forward to the end. Really enjoyed the ride for the first time in the YJ outside my normal city driving. The YJ did great except with two issues, one being a rock thrown up from the rear drivers side managed to break the driver side rear view mirror, Strange as is was. Second was the ignition switch finally gave out and had to pop the clutch to start it a couple times, but now have the replacement gear sector switch coming soon. Maybe time to think about some wider rear flares. Also, I had trailered the YJ out for the 650 mile trip

#245 ·
ARB Air Compressor & LED Hood light

My old ARB air compressor died a month ago. I got a new style and installed it.
The good news is that the old inside wire harness was the same as the new one and that saved me 1 hour swapping it out.

I also hooked up a hood light on the YJ hood light brackets I got 6 months ago.
The only thing I dont like about the light is the hood will not rest against the windshield. The hood light hits the jeep and I like the fact that it was easy to work under the hood,but now I cannot. It is just 2 bolts and is not that hard to remove it.

Attachments

Reactions: cyberworm
#248 ·
My old ARB air compressor died a month ago. I got a new style and installed it.
The good news is that the old inside wire harness was the same as the new one and that saved me 1 hour swapping it out.
Nice work. I actually did the same thing this week, except for me it's a new air compressor. I wasn't entirely sure where I was going to mount it, but the day I decided to do it, I found the perfect location. I just needed to decide that the stock bottle jack was pretty much useless to me anymore. With a little cutting, the plate for the jack made the perfect platform for installation.

Since I'm showing off, I also accomplished building a platform for rotopax cans and axe/shovel mounting. I haven't got the shovel and axe mounts on yet, but eventually they will go on the underside, and I'm even considering mounting a bit of larger PVC tube with end caps to it, for storing my bikini tops and windjammer.

Basically, I didn't like a lot of the options out there, and my original thought was to use some steel tubing with pipe clamps, but without a welder, it was seemingly becoming more and more impossible to build without hiring a bunch of people and making it way too expensive. Then I remembered U bolts are a thing, and it all came together after that. Some longer and sturdier bolts, and a couple of extensions, and I've now got the ability to carry 8 extra gallons of gas and 4 gallons of water, while still leaving room for gear in the back.
It's pressure treated wood that is on there now, but I think ultimately I'd like to replace it with a nice piece of hickory treated with beeswax, so that if it ever comes to it, I've basically got a piece of firewood handy. It'll also look a bit classier. :D

Attachments

#246 ·
Last weekend after filling up at a new filling station, I took off down the hi way and 30 minutes later the YJ starts losing power and acting like it won't take full acceleration. Slacking off the foot feed, I was able to get back home if I was easy on accelerating, but sputtering occasionally. First thought was bad gas, but after driving a few more times around the neighborhood, it seemed like it was starving for gas, but would idle all day long just fine. Just not run right under fast acceleration.So maybe a tune up would help right. Had a new throttle position sensor to replace existing, man what a pain to get to until disconnecting the fuel lines and wiring harnesses. Needs two mounting bolts for the TPS, however the bottom 10-32 bolt broke off at the throttle body housing. Installed the TPS with only the top bolt for now, until I have more time to remove the broken bottom bolt. Drove the jeep for a day and seemed a little bit better but still not right. So made plans to change spark plug wires and dis. cap and rotor. Well, the front hold down screw on distributor comes right out, but now the rear dis.cap screw is not cooperating. Back screw for the dis. cap seems to be rusted in hard with damaged screw head and looking at it closer looks like a slot head screw. Tried several different methods to remove the screw and used penetrating fluid but no luck. See pic. below.
Leaving the dang dis. cap alone for now and replaced the Map sensor on the fire wall last night and today the jeep seems to be back to running correctly as before all the previous troubles. Hey, it's just a hobby thing anyway.:beerdrinking:

Attachments

#247 ·
new Smittybilt Winch

So my last winch died in my driveway.At least it happened here, rather then on the trail when I needed it. Got a wireless one and now I'm ready for the trail.

Attachments

Reactions: cyberworm
#249 ·
This past September I was unfortunately rear ended during a trip, after many months things are finally starting to come together.

Attachments

#251 ·
Installed Rubicon Express standard 2.5" lift kit. Had project creep to front passenger axle u-joint replacement, front driver hard brake line replacement. Also broke the transmission torque arm bolt while installing the transfer case drop, so i replaced that. While i had the skid plate off I cleaned and painted it which snowballed into cleaning and painting the frame as best i could with the tub in place. Because you can have a freshly paint skid plate with a surface rusted frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.