Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
'88 Wrangler YJ 4.2 / Weber 32/36 / Nutter'd / Stick
145 Posts
Today I installed one of those tranny hump mounted speaker enclosures. Filled it with some Bose speakers I bought in '93 (they still sound great!)
And thank GOD I found the mysterious rattle that has driven me nuts since I bought the YJ. Turn out it was the hood stand rod. Since I don't actually use it, I strapped it down tight on both ends with some sturdy velcro tape.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Swapped out the old and busted 34 DGEC for a brand spankin new Weber 32/36.
Sweet 700 RPM, no sputter idle.

Made a port cover plate for the now deleted EGR.
New rear view mirror.

Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Hood Automotive design
Hand Finger Gesture Thumb Wood

·
Registered
145 Posts
dp

·
Registered
145 Posts
You should make a few more of those. I used to be able to get mine from Route 66 mods, but he quit making them. $25 each, would pay for a few oil changes...
Not a bad idea. I even have plenty of material.

Using 3/8" thick aluminum that I scrapped off of several network equip racks.

Gotta get my 2x42 belt grinder up and running again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
With everything stripped off the jeep, I had one more easy thing to do... "Just remove a few more bolts from my windshield hinges and I am done.
View attachment 4524091
Thats when Mr. Murphy Law steps up to me and says, " Gotcha! If I would have only known that you have to pull the dashboard, because these are bolts with nuts on the other side, and they are cemented in with a bunch of weird foam looking crap! Lord help me, what kind of mess have I got myself into? Winter is coming, oh boy oh boy oh boy!
I've put off changing mine out for this very reason.

I wonder just how cemented in they are? And if a high speed tool would back them out fast enough before the nut started spinning out?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Absolutely nothing: And after the last 2 weeks I've had leaned over the fender wells with hyperextended knees, I'm ok with that.

This weekend though... have a few things planned, but thankfully, none of them under the hood :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Got part way into attempting to remove/replace my heater core... got everything detached from the firewall side, then while staring into the abyss under the dash...thought better of it. Just too much crap in the way, mainly what look like refrigerant lines, which would make simply dropping the enclosure impossible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Resolved my heater core leak:

Was installing new hoses and prior to pushing on the top hose, I added several ounces of K-seal down the top tube. Tightened the hose clamp, started her up, poured the rest in the radiator and went for a spin, all the while watching the passenger floorboard and testing airflow.

Mucho hot air and nothing in the floor. Even went out to the woods to put out a few pop up blinds, drove home... not a drop.

Come on Winter.

Plant Sky Plant community Cloud Hood

·
Registered
145 Posts
this

I was really surprised how easily these came out after having read and watched videos of the horrors some have had removing them. No seized nuts or bolts seized in their busing sleeves.

EZ

Wheel Tire Tread Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Added some much needed lockable storage.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
145 Posts
Installed/bled new clutch master cylinder.

And installed step bars... you know, for the short legged wife. ;)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Edit: this was yesterday

·
Registered
145 Posts
Today: Me and the Granddaughter went hunting & she learned how to drive a Jeep :)

No Deer, but did get a few rounds off with the M4 at a HUGE black hog running through the brush.

Plant Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel

·
Registered
145 Posts
She looks too serious, better get her some more miles behind the wheel so she can enjoy the privelage of driving a YJ...
Yeah, she drives my Ranger same way :)

But she did very well, only one stall out going from 1st into 2nd, lost all the momentum... Surprisingly, not a single one on take off.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Changed xfer case fluid. No big deal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
About that worn hood/cowl seal...

good as new

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
145 Posts
So the noise is gone, even with the new cowl seal? If so, Great!
On mine, the noise went away when I put a new cowl seal on but the noise came back as the seal compressed and wore. That's when I added a layer of adhesive backed weatherstrip, rather than another new cowl seal. Keep that in mind in case your noise returns.

Good Luck, L.M.
Didn't road test it, but was able to "bounce" it a little by hand. I'm going to just leave my fix in place and be glad that water is hopefully channeling away from the battery at least. My original seal was literally useless anyhow.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts