Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

15761 - 15780 of 15809 Posts

·
Los Angeles
1,526 Posts
Installed Rugged Ridge Steering Tie Rod Drag Link Kit.

Getting the 26 year old tie rod ends out went smooth.
The drag link end was a PITA!! ...

John D
This is the only tie rod end tool you need. It is embarassing how easy it is. I have never used a pickle fork in my life.

·
Los Angeles
1,526 Posts
Got home early from work today all set to throw on some new shocks! Put the rear on stands and pulled a wheel.

Torx?? Really.

ugh,

So I will get to this on Saturday.

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Got home early from work today all set to throw on some new shocks! Put the rear on stands and pulled a wheel.

Torx?? Really.

ugh,

So I will get to this on Saturday. View attachment 4491993
LOL, Yeah...
Japanese bikes metric nuts/bolts, allen etc... I could do a full tear down with a few tools.
German/Japanese sports cars.. more metric, plus Torx and twelve point--on occasion..

Jeep--Metric, SAE, Torx, and "anything goes" with aftermarket parts... :eek:

Needless to say.. I'm filling in the gaps in my SAE sockets and wrenches.

John D

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Extended the shifter

A few years ago I bought an AX15 transmission to replace my ailing BA10 trans. The shifter that came with the transmission came with the threaded end broken off.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I bought an AX15 trans from a '95 Cherokee with an external clutch slave cylinder. With a couple lemons, I decided to make lemonade.

Pic @1 is both shifters. While the Cherokee shifter was undamaged, it's shaped wrong and is too short. I decided to extend the broken shifter to compensate for my body lift and repair the broken threaded end.
Pic #2 is where I had originally intended to use a piece of pipe as a collar to reinforce the joint. The inside diameter of the pipe was too big and would have made a sloppy fit.
Pic #3 is where I got a couple pieces of small angle iron and began welding them to extend the shifter. The extension adds 2" and my Jeep is running a 1" body lift, so the shifter is actually an inch closer to my hand (once installed).
Pic #4 is the welded and ground shifter.
Pic #5 is after a bit of Bondo, primer and paint.

I'm still awaiting a transmission mount from Advanced Adapters and once I have that, I'll replace my old BA10, and put in a new LUK clutch to go with the external slave cylinder transmission from the Cherokee.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Registered
151 Posts
I like the half doors. Been trying to find a set reasonably priced and not too far away. I also purchased a bikini top and got that installed for the summer. Now I just need it to stop raining.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,651 Posts
Extended the shifter

A few years ago I bought an AX15 transmission to replace my ailing BA10 trans. The shifter that came with the transmission came with the threaded end broken off.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I bought an AX15 trans from a '95 Cherokee with an external clutch slave cylinder. With a couple lemons, I decided to make lemonade.

Pic @1 is both shifters. While the Cherokee shifter was undamaged, it's shaped wrong and is too short. I decided to extend the broken shifter to compensate for my body lift and repair the broken threaded end.
Pic #2 is where I had originally intended to use a piece of pipe as a collar to reinforce the joint. The inside diameter of the pipe was too big and would have made a sloppy fit.
Pic #3 is where I got a couple pieces of small angle iron and began welding them to extend the shifter. The extension adds 2" and my Jeep is running a 1" body lift, so the shifter is actually an inch closer to my hand (once installed).
Pic #4 is the welded and ground shifter.
Pic #5 is after a bit of Bondo, primer and paint.

I'm still awaiting a transmission mount from Advanced Adapters and once I have that, I'll replace my old BA10, and put in a new LUK clutch to go with the external slave cylinder transmission from the Cherokee.

Good Luck, L.M.
Did you already check the clearance for reverse with that straight shifter, I'd really like to use my taller cup in the cupholder. Looks promising...

You need to post up some pics of that mount when it shows up. Starting to collect the misc. pieces for the AX-15 swap in the Sahara. Thanks Uncle Joe (Biden) for buying it for me. I'm tempted to buy me a Shiny new one.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,651 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Howdy GIAL, You can see the mount right now. Just search Advanced Adapters #716007.
($42.02 + $23.45 shipping = $65.47). Seems like a lot of dough for a flat piece of steel with a couple studs sticking out but for me it's worth it to save all the measuring, cutting, welding and brain damage associated with fabrication. There's gonna be enough headaches.
As I tell Mrs. Lucky, "Change one thing and you have to change ten more things just to get the first one to work".

I was going to use the Cherokee mount (it's a heavy duty honker) but I don't know how well it would adapt to the Peugeot muffler bracket. For $65.00, this should be a bolt in proposition.

The tailshaft is different on the '95 Cherokee transmission than the one on the '90 Wrangler transmission.
Pic #1 shows the boss on the Cherokee transmission that blocks mounting the TC shifter to the transmission. (Apparently the Cherokee TC shifter is way different).
Pic #2 is a close up of that boss. The '90 Wrangler transmission doesn't have anything like that.
Pic #3 The Sawzall made short work of the protrusion.
Pic #4 shows a bit of dressing with a grinder.

I could have switched tailshafts as well but this seemed like a quicker solution.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Los Angeles
1,526 Posts
If you compress it by hand and it doesn't decompress, you made a good choice to replace them because they are done.

All were bad, but not a surprise.

Attachments

·
Los Angeles
1,526 Posts
So...my Saturday YJ project was replacing the shocks, but that turned into an infamous Friday night after work project.
I got bored with the black rims so today is going to be Paint My Wheels Saturday.

or maybe no paint?

White it is!

·
Los Angeles
1,526 Posts
I ended up doing the passenger side and spare because it is 88 degrees out.

I like it.

I was on the fence for a long time but glad I did it. Now to start a thread in the pic forum...

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Registered
923 Posts
How are those new Bilsteins? I put 5100‘s on at Xmas time to replace the RoughCountry NO2 shocks I had. They are definitely nicer riding with the RE 4.5 springs, not that the RC were bad just the Bilsteins are nicer.

·
Los Angeles
1,526 Posts
How are those new Bilsteins? I put 5100‘s on at Xmas time to replace the RoughCountry NO2 shocks I had. They are definitely nicer riding with the RE 4.5 springs, not that the RC were bad just the Bilsteins are nicer.
From zero shock response to arguably the most favored shock for a stock YJ? Yes, they ride super duper.

I wasn't even complaining about the ride prior to installing the Bilsteins though, so even a slight improvement would have put me over the moon.

They are the best shocks that I have ever put on my YJ, that is for sure.

Reactions: Sonny S

·
Registered
317 Posts
My 95 Rio has been cranking slowly lately. I load tested my battery, and all connections were fresh so I decided to pull the starter off. Ouch ! Where's my brushes ? Lol
Pulled it apart, cleaned and greased everything then ordered a new brush holder ( comes with brushes ) off ebay for $14.
Chucked the armature up in the drill press for a quick spin to clean up the commutator a little. Didn't want to take much off so there's a few light marks left but I figured as little as I drive this thing I'll definitely get my money's worth out of the $14 repair.
All back together and she's cranking fast again !
KIMG3420.jpg
KIMG3419.jpg
KIMG3385.jpg
KIMG3422.jpg
KIMG3381.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Great write up. That's probably all that gets done for a $150.00 rebuilt starter, (besides a good cleaning and lube).

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Sonny S

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great write up. That's probably all that gets done for a $150.00 rebuilt starter, (besides a good cleaning and lube).

Good Luck, L.M.
Thanks. Yeah I cleaned and lubed everything up. I'll give it a twelve month warranty and see how it goes haha.
I would have had more pictures and details if I had thought about posting it when I did it.
I only had these pictures because my girlfriend lives out of state and I was showing her what I was doing in the shop.
Sorry you guys were an afterthought lol.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Definitely not going to have a problem finding that screw you just dropped.

15761 - 15780 of 15809 Posts