Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

15821 - 15840 of 15866 Posts

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,813 Posts
[QUOTE

Limiting Californians to certain weapons and quantities of ammo is better than you might think. I am not meaning all Californians specifically, but a general California mentality. When a state has a wide spread "guns are nothing but a dangerous offensive weapon" then they can only become dangerous offensive weapons.

I just picked up 300 rounds of .45 and 1500 rounds of .22LR and the utensils to match and I am as far inside California as I can get. Allegedly, I did this allegedly.
Can't find either in stock out here...But, we can have as much as we can afford. lol

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
That’s funny, as I had to drive directly into a 30mph wind today. Had to stay in 4th with my foot to the floor to stay at 55, with some spurts up to 60.....worked the 2.5 hard today!

Glad he likes to see yours (his)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel your pain. Even with the 4.0, I have 33" tires on the OEM axles/gears (3.11? 3.07?). So most of the time, 5th gear is nothing but a dream. A re-gear is on my "wish list".

It's primarily the cross-winds that bother him. Our predominant winds are N/S and our predominant travel paths are E/W. He really hates getting blasted in the side of the face with a strong gust. I do too, so I can't blame him. But the whole family agrees, nothing beats an open-air ride in the ol' Heep on a calm sunny day. :cool:

Reactions: svtrit

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Lost 20 lbs...
aka rear track bar...
Somehow, I think the five washers per side didn't come from factory. (don't count--I wasn't much interested in collecting all that rolled away.)

My bet is the track bar was sitting on a shelf (more likely the backyard) when they're like...
"Maybe we should spray paint this thing and throw this back on before selling..."
"You have the original bolts? Um, no! okay... found these bolts... Sure.. stack some washers... that that'll do the trick."
-bubba

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Nothing major but referb'd and lub'd the jack/tools.
So much crud in the gears it would not make for a happy camper on the side of the road... now it is is well oiled and ready to go...

before:
IMG_0412.jpeg

After:
IMG_0430.jpeg
IMG_0432.jpeg

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,813 Posts
Original plan today was to do the struts and brakes on the daughters Grand Cherokee, so at 6am I was up with the sun, got everything out of the way and ready to start wrenching, pulling the G.C. in the garage here comes my daughter, "Wait I have a baby shower to go to". With an entire free day at my disposal I decided it was time to finish my Holley Sniper EFI install on the "88.
I had previously replaced the stock sending unit with an in-tank sender and fuel pump assembly and wired it in, so I was good to go there, the only thing left was the throttle body install, fuel lines, and wiring in the bay. I was trying to get an un-interrupted day set aside so I could do it from start to finish.

Here' is what I started with...
20210424_080517[1].jpg

20210424_092100[1].jpg

Everything laid out ready to go...
20210424_093832[1].jpg
20210424_093832[1].jpg

First thing I checked was whether the old O2 sensor would come off without a fight, Luckily it spun right off...
20210424_100027[1].jpg

Checked fitment on New coolant sensor...It fit..
20210424_100816[1].jpg

Everything disconnected and out of the way for removal...
20210424_103046[1].jpg

Needed the spacer for throttle linkage clearance...
20210424_111749[1].jpg

TBI installed, First time playing with AN fuel fittings, turned out nice, on to the fun part, the wiring, NOT...Everything strung out, reminders of the HEI install...and Yes I did replace the wire nuts with proper connections after test run...
20210424_145603[1].jpg

Everything Almost buttoned up, need to pick up some wire conduit

20210424_175131[1].jpg

So After all said and done. took about 4-5 hours, less than I expected. I still need to get a couple linkage clips, clean up the wiring a bit more, and explore alternate Air Cleaner options, But after carefully following the directions, (Yeah, I do that occasionally), It fired right up and I had a ball playing with the mini- touchscreen program/info computer that comes with. I ran it through it's paces for a while and pulled it out of the garage. Didn't have time for a road trip, but did a couple laps around the block to let it do some learning. We'll see how it does with cold starts and on the road under more load later this week.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
In pics #3 & 4, is that a cup of joe or a cup for Joe?

Now, I'm wondering if the Sniper system would be a good fit for my builder motor. Please keep us updated on any surprises, faults or great advantages. Particularly mileage. I know it'll be a while before you have it totally sussed out but it'll be a while before I finish building my motor. It's only be three years and I just accumulated all all the parts to assemble it.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
In pics #3 & 4, is that a cup of joe or a cup for Joe?

Now, I'm wondering if the Sniper system would be a good fit for my builder motor. Please keep us updated on any surprises, faults or great advantages. Particularly mileage. I know it'll be a while before you have it totally sussed out but it'll be a while before I finish building my motor. It's only be three years and I just accumulated all all the parts to assemble it.

Good Luck, L.M.
A. That would be both, I recycle my Starbucks cups from work for around the hose, Keeps Mrs. Got it from hunting down the household coffee cups. Also note the Diet Pepsi for additional caffeine backup.
B. Of course I went out first thing with my morning coffee and gave it a key flick. I will say that it started right up without the proverbial one pump to set the choke and it idles smoothly right off the bat. I'm going to need to give it quite a few more road trips and put it under some more load scenarios before I can give it a definite thumbs up to justify the expense, but I like what I am seeing so far.
C. There was some discussion over the Holley and Howell, Seems you need to swap in a different electronic module for the HEI on the Howell kit that you do not need for the Sniper, plus all the sensors are onboard the Sniper throttle body which makes for a very simple install. Their wiring harness is very well made up with more than enough wire to get where you need to know, and the O2 sensor fit the bung on the stock manifold without having to use the Tap and clamp bung they supply with the kit.

More to follow...

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
A. That would be both, I recycle my Starbucks cups from work for around the hose, Keeps Mrs. Got it from hunting down the household coffee cups. Also note the Diet Pepsi for additional caffeine backup.
B. Of course I went out first thing with my morning coffee and gave it a key flick. I will say that it started right up without the proverbial one pump to set the choke and it idles smoothly right off the bat. I'm going to need to give it quite a few more road trips and put it under some more load scenarios before I can give it a definite thumbs up to justify the expense, but I like what I am seeing so far.
C. There was some discussion over the Holley and Howell, Seems you need to swap in a different electronic module for the HEI on the Howell kit that you do not need for the Sniper, plus all the sensors are onboard the Sniper throttle body which makes for a very simple install. Their wiring harness is very well made up with more than enough wire to get where you need to know, and the O2 sensor fit the bung on the stock manifold without having to use the Tap and clamp bung they supply with the kit.

More to follow...
Keep it coming. I like the sounds of what I'm hearing.
I get my right shoulder replaced May 4th, so I won't be doing much for that month. Once I'm back mobile, I'll still be weak but I can do things like clean the pistons and put the rings on them. I have friends & family to help with the heavy stuff. I had hoped to have the engine all ready by now, but the honey dos keep taking up Jeep time.
Once I get your final report on the Sniper, perhaps I can add that to my list of things to save up for.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Robbed Peter to pay Paul, removed my winch and bumper from the YJ to install on the LJ.
IMG_7190.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts

More to follow...
Following up on the install...

* Throttle Linkage needed some work to shorten about an inch to get full range of motion. The stock clevis's snap right on to the throttle body, but the stock rod was too long. I tried all my usual local sources, but could not find any 1/4-28 threaded rod to make a new one, so I had to file down the hex sides of the stock rod enough to run a 1/4-28 die down it to add about a 1/4" of threads to each side, then cut a 1/2 in off each end to shorten the overall inch I needed. I found a 3-foot rod for about $4, but they wanted $25 for shipping, guess what business they make their money off of. lol

* Next issue is the initial throttle blade adjustment, the only issue I had was getting Holley tech on the phone to clarify the directions for me. Hour and a half on hold, but once I got the tech on the phone he took all the time needed to answer my questions, and he knew his stuff.

* I found an appropriate neck adapter set to put a better aftermarket air cleaner and waiting on Fedex to button that up.

* Last opportunity is a high pitched whine coming from the pressure regulator, indicating I have a restriction in the return line somewhere. My options are find the restriction or install an external regulator. He suggested removing the return line and running a line into a gas can and checking the flow the old school way which makes sense now that I know for sure it's a pressure regulator.

NOW, for the good stuff...

It's been Hilarious trying to bounce back and forth between the two Jeeps. Kicking down the choke on the Tonka and trying not to on the Sahara, I always give the carb jeep a little kick of the pedal to take off from a dead start to bounce the rpm's enough to get going. TOTALLY unnecessary with the Holley, getting on the freeway for the first time today was pretty impressive. My onramp is a decent climb, but the Sahara romped right up to merge speed with less effort than previously. the really nice thing is the smoothness from idle trough the acceleration band. I also notice that when you let off the pedal, the RPM reduction response is immediate and doesn't have that lagging deceleration while the carb gas cycles through ignition. Overall I notice a performance improvement, especially still being over-geared with 3.07's on 31's. I haven't had time to make a long enough run to get any sense of fuel consumption yet, but from experience I am not expecting much of an improvement in mileage, the 4.2 is what it is, but we will see.

Still, So far no regrets.
Original plan today was to do the struts and brakes on the daughters Grand Cherokee, so at 6am I was up with the sun, got everything out of the way and ready to start wrenching, pulling the G.C. in the garage here comes my daughter, "Wait I have a baby shower to go to". With an entire free day at my disposal I decided it was time to finish my Holley Sniper EFI install on the "88.
I had previously replaced the stock sending unit with an in-tank sender and fuel pump assembly and wired it in, so I was good to go there, the only thing left was the throttle body install, fuel lines, and wiring in the bay. I was trying to get an un-interrupted day set aside so I could do it from start to finish.

Here' is what I started with...
View attachment 4501212

View attachment 4501213

Everything laid out ready to go... View attachment 4501214 View attachment 4501214

First thing I checked was whether the old O2 sensor would come off without a fight, Luckily it spun right off...
View attachment 4501215

Checked fitment on New coolant sensor...It fit..
View attachment 4501217

Everything disconnected and out of the way for removal...
View attachment 4501218

Needed the spacer for throttle linkage clearance...
View attachment 4501219

TBI installed, First time playing with AN fuel fittings, turned out nice, on to the fun part, the wiring, NOT...Everything strung out, reminders of the HEI install...and Yes I did replace the wire nuts with proper connections after test run...
View attachment 4501220

Everything Almost buttoned up, need to pick up some wire conduit

View attachment 4501222

So After all said and done. took about 4-5 hours, less than I expected. I still need to get a couple linkage clips, clean up the wiring a bit more, and explore alternate Air Cleaner options, But after carefully following the directions, (Yeah, I do that occasionally), It fired right up and I had a ball playing with the mini- touchscreen program/info computer that comes with. I ran it through it's paces for a while and pulled it out of the garage. Didn't have time for a road trip, but did a couple laps around the block to let it do some learning. We'll see how it does with cold starts and on the road under more load later this week.
Got it at last said:

More to follow...

* Throttle Linkage needed some work to shorten about an inch to get full range of motion. The stock clevis's snap right on to the throttle body, but the stock rod was too long. I tried all my usual local sources, but could not find any 1/4-28 threaded rod to make a new one, so I had to file down the hex sides of the stock rod enough to run a 1/4-28 die down it to add about a 1/4" of threads to each side, then cut a 1/2 in off each end to shorten the overall inch I needed. I found a 3-foot rod for about $4, but they wanted $25 for shipping, guess what business they make their money off of. lol

* Next issue is the initial throttle blade adjustment, the only issue I had was getting Holley tech on the phone to clarify the directions for me. Hour and a half on hold, but once I got the tech on the phone he took all the time needed to answer my questions, and he knew his stuff.

* I found an appropriate neck adapter set to put a better aftermarket air cleaner and waiting on Fedex to button that up.

* Last opportunity is a high pitched whine coming from the pressure regulator, indicating I have a restriction in the return line somewhere. My options are find the restriction or install an external regulator. He suggested removing the return line and running a line into a gas can and checking the flow the old school way which makes sense now that I know for sure it's a pressure regulator.

It's been Hilarious trying to bounce back and forth between the two Jeeps. Kicking down the choke on the Tonka and trying not to on the Sahara, I always give the carb jeep a little kick of the pedal to take off from a dead start to bounce the rpm's enough to get going. TOTALLY unnecessary with the Holley, getting on the freeway for the first time today was pretty impressive. My onramp is a decent climb, but the Sahara romped right up to merge speed with less effort than previously. the really nice thing is the smoothness from idle trough the acceleration band. I also notice that when you let off the pedal, the RPM reduction response is immediate and doesn't have that lagging deceleration while the carb gas cycles through ignition. Overall I notice a performance improvement, especially still being over-geared with 3.07's on 31's. I haven't had time to make a long enough run to get any sense of fuel consumption yet, but from experience I am not expecting much of an improvement in mileage, the 4.2 is what it is, but we will see.

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Wait till you re-gear. You'll think you have a rocket ship.

Now I'm really interested in your long term impressions of the Sniper.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Not today, but yesterday.
I finished welding the shock mounts on my Explorer 8.8 and painted the welded area. I adjusted the park brakes and have a little more confidence that the hokey connection of the cable at the backing plate will continue to work.
Then I parked the Jeep in the house garage with a battery tender connected. I tore my right rotator cuff and it's painful to drive a standard shift vehicle. I get my shoulder replaced next week so I'll be out of Jeep action for a while. I may have to have to pay the mechanic to swap out my transmission and transfer case. We'll see how that goes.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I adjusted the park brakes and have a little more confidence that the hokey connection of the cable at the backing plate will continue to work.

Reminds me i am still running these things, i completely forgot they were on there but they still work lol

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
This setup is even more hokey than those adapters. When I bought the axle from the guy that set it up with the spring mounts he said this would work. I saw a UTUBE video of the same thing.
If they continue to work I guess I'm in good shape. If not, I found new brake cables for $100.00 for a pair. I guess I'll find out once I can drive the Jeep.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
I finished welding the shock mounts on my Explorer 8.8 and painted the welded area. I adjusted the park brakes and have a little more confidence that the hokey connection of the cable at the backing plate will continue to work.
Then I parked the Jeep in the house garage with a battery tender connected. I tore my right rotator cuff and it's painful to drive a standard shift vehicle. I get my shoulder replaced next week so I'll be out of Jeep action for a while. I may have to have to pay the mechanic to swap out my transmission and transfer case. We'll see how that goes.

Good Luck, L.M.
Good Luck with your surgery, Hope you can still type a few posts along the way to recovery, and No, we do Not need pics from the procedure to help with the diagnosis for recovery. LOL

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Good Luck with your surgery, Hope you can still type a few posts along the way to recovery, and No, we do Not need pics from the procedure to help with the diagnosis for recovery. LOL
I have to hunt and peck to type my posts. It's easier to do so with two hands but I'll bet I can get something pecked out with just one hand.

When the doc said he was going to cut off the knob of my shoulder and screw a metal and plastic one in, I asked if I could have the part he cut off. I want to wear it around my neck as a piece of abstract art. He said they grind it up and use it as binder to get the new parts to bond to where the cut the damaged parts off. Oh well, so much for abstract art.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I have to hunt and peck to type my posts. It's easier to do so with two hands but I'll bet I can get something pecked out with just one hand.

When the doc said he was going to cut off the knob of my shoulder and screw a metal and plastic one in, I asked if I could have the part he cut off. I want to wear it around my neck as a piece of abstract art. He said they grind it up and use it as binder to get the new parts to bond to where the cut the damaged parts off. Oh well, so much for abstract art.

Good Luck, L.M.
Wow, And I thought it was getting bad with my left shoulder (Can't roll down the window or raise my arm above shoulder height.) Hadn't thought about the right hand side and being able to shift... To the younger days when we beat the crap out of our bodies but now suffer later in life for it.
Don't mean to sound old but it's getting to the point where most activities hurt. I still push through it, just add a couple of advil! Maybe a beer, and most definitely a massage (not the "happy ending" type) every other week or so.

John D

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Wow, And I thought it was getting bad with my left shoulder (Can't roll down the window or raise my arm above shoulder height.) Hadn't thought about the right hand side and being able to shift... To the younger days when we beat the crap out of our bodies but now suffer later in life for it.
Don't mean to sound old but it's getting to the point where most activities hurt. I still push through it, just add a couple of advil! Maybe a beer, and most definitely a massage (not the "happy ending" type) every other week or so.

John D
All the above plus a hot epsom salt soak in the tub.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Donncada

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Finished up

Still, So far no regrets.

Update, Sniper install finished up.
Found a 24" 1/4-28 threaded rod to take up the last little slack in the throttle linkage, be here Tues.
Played with the tuning program on the computer, AFR holding 13.0-13.3, Idle smooth at 750rpm's and IAC within range with just enough throttle blade adjustment to get it to fire right up.
Air cleaner parts showed up today but too late to do anything with today.
Next I broke the back half of the tub bolts loose and found the return line pinched at an angle at the sandwhich grommet between the tub and cross member restricting flow. Adjusted hose and the whine disappeared.
Last thing was to pull the mechanical pump and install block off plate. I thought it was a pretty cool until I got it bolted up. See Pic. No it's not upside down, the damn logo is. LMAO.
20210501_105553.jpg

I got it out on the freeway again today and it seems to be filling in the gaps on the learn cycle, runs pretty smooth all the way through the pedal. but it is still a 4.2 and is still pretty cold blooded until the engine warms up a little

15821 - 15840 of 15866 Posts