Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

15841 - 15849 of 15849 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
So what distributer are you running? Just an HEI, or the one with the sniper to adjust timing?

I upgraded to a MC2150 2 years ago, but I keep looking at the sniper. If I don't drive the YJ daily she takes a long time to crank, which irrationally drives me crazy.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,759 Posts
the HEI on the sniper is the one available off summit, though I don't think its much different than the one off Amazon

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,759 Posts
we haven't had any long term use replies yet, but a couple of the guys put a one way check valve on both supply and return to the carb. possibly a solution to the long crank after sitting for a few days.

L.M. any feedback???

·
Super Moderator
12,443 Posts
I had my right shoulder replaced this morning. One hand typing is a pain. I'll be out of any serious action for a couple weeks.

When I put a one way valve between the fuel pump and the gas tank, that seemed to clear up the worst of the issue. The one way valve between the filter and return worked for a while but with both, I can let the Jeep sit for several days and (mostly) it'll start on the first crank.
Make sure the choke is adjusted properly and hit the gas once to squirt a bit of gas into the manifold and set the choke.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I had my right shoulder replaced this morning. One hand typing is a pain. I'll be out of any serious action for a couple weeks.

When I put a one way valve between the fuel pump and the gas tank, that seemed to clear up the worst of the issue. The one way valve between the filter and return worked for a while but with both, I can let the Jeep sit for several days and (mostly) it'll start on the first crank.
Make sure the choke is adjusted properly and hit the gas once to squirt a bit of gas into the manifold and set the choke.

Good Luck, L.M.
Glad to see you up and around. Guess your surgery went as planned, Take care of yourself and we'll see you in the threads.

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Registered
59 Posts
Finished up

I got it out on the freeway again today and it seems to be filling in the gaps on the learn cycle, runs pretty smooth all the way through the pedal. but it is still a 4.2 and is still pretty cold blooded until the engine warms up a little
I'm excited to see how this works out long term for you. I installed a Howell Kit a while back, but it doesn't control timing, and is doesn't offer a lot of learning, so no 4.0 head swap or anything with it. I love that the Sniper has so much self learning capability. If I hadn't got such a deal on the Howell I would have gone with the Sniper.

·
Los Angeles
1,602 Posts
I was debating between the Howell or Sniper Kit but it was giving me a headache and then I remembered that I have the 4.0 and chuckled out loud a bit...

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I'm excited to see how this works out long term for you. I installed a Howell Kit a while back, but it doesn't control timing, and is doesn't offer a lot of learning, so no 4.0 head swap or anything with it. I love that the Sniper has so much self learning capability. If I hadn't got such a deal on the Howell I would have gone with the Sniper.
I am using the vac advance timing with the HEI, For the sniper to control the timing you need to use a Holley ignition setup.
Here is the Installation manual if you'd like to read up on it.
199r11323.pdf (holley.com)

·
Registered
59 Posts
For the sniper to control the timing you need to use a Holley ignition setup.
Here is the Installation manual if you'd like to read up on it.
Gotcha. Looks great. It's so nice for me, having fuel injection, with big elevation changes.

15841 - 15849 of 15849 Posts