Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
16241 - 16260 of 16366 Posts

·
Registered
'88 Wrangler YJ 4.2 / Weber 32/36 / Nutter'd / Stick
141 Posts
Added some much needed lockable storage.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,449 Posts
This wasn't today but I liked it the day that I did it.

The left/front and right/rear.

I really can't see ever bumping them and they are definitely within my sight to check if they are engaged or not.

This is the perfect spot for me.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle door

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,449 Posts
How are you liking them? What did they cost with labor? I’m doing those for the LJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I bought a D30 and D35 with them already installed. I only took the YJ out far enough to verify that they worked, I have not actually needed them. I do not do any type of Jeeping like you.

I had gotten a quote for install before finding these axles and the guy said $450 labor each axle.

I watched Youtubes on the E-locker disconnecting for a 1/4 turn while in reverse so that may be something for you to consider? For me,that does not seem like an issue.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Well, I bought a D30 and D35 with them already installed. I only took the YJ out far enough to verify that they worked, I have not actually needed them. I do not do any type of Jeeping like you.

I had gotten a quote for install before finding these axles and the guy said $450 labor each axle.

I watched Youtubes on the E-locker disconnecting for a 1/4 turn while in reverse so that may be something for you to consider? For me,that does not seem like an issue.
Yeah, not an issue for me. I saw that video

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,980 Posts
Got notification that my new ECGS 489 axle was being delivered Tues so I started getting ready to slide it in when it arrives. Getting the e-brake cable catches out without damaging the little ears is proving to be the hardest part. Lol
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,980 Posts
Which one is getting the new axle and why?
My 89 Tonka is getting the new axle, because I abuse it a bit. I ordered it with the rear Disc Brake kit so I don't have to deal with piecing one together. My off road courage increases with my confidence in my equipment. While the D35 has yet to let me down, the ECGS D44 buildup looks pretty impressive on paper so I thought why not. test out their advertising and see how it does
The 88 Sahara is getting the old D35 because it needs a re-gear to 4.10 and the gears and locker are already installed. I have an air compressor in the Sahara already so it's like getting an upgrade in one jeep and a free re-gear and locker in the other, just have to get the front geared.

Besides I need more extra parts to trip over...LOL

·
Super Moderator
14,307 Posts
My 89 Tonka is getting the new axle, because I abuse it a bit. I ordered it with the rear Disc Brake kit so I don't have to deal with piecing one together. My off road courage increases with my confidence in my equipment. While the D35 has yet to let me down, the ECGS D44 buildup looks pretty impressive on paper so I thought why not. test out their advertising and see how it does
The 88 Sahara is getting the old D35 because it needs a re-gear to 4.10 and the gears and locker are already installed. I have an air compressor in the Sahara already so it's like getting an upgrade in one jeep and a free re-gear and locker in the other, just have to get the front geared.

Besides I need more extra parts to trip over...LOL
I still have that good D30 (3:07) sitting alongside the shop waiting for you so that you can give installing a R&P a shot. Once you finish the Tonka, you can install the old D35 from Tonka into the Sahara and simply leave the Sahara front driveshaft in your garage until you re-gear a D30.
I actually have an 8' pallet that I can strap the D30 onto but I still think the shipping will be prohibitive.

My D30 is from my '87 so the brakes and everything should be exactly like brakes and axles currently in the '88 Sahara. I think Jeep went to different front knuckles, discs and calipers in 1991.
I also have the old non-C-clip D35 (3:07) that was in my '87 but it needs a wheel bearing & seal, brake shoes, drums and brake kit. You're welcome to that axle too if you think you can use it.

I can attest to their usefulness as items to trip over.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I still have that good D30 (3:07) sitting alongside the shop waiting for you so that you can give installing a R&P a shot. Once you finish the Tonka, you can install the old D35 from Tonka into the Sahara and simply leave the Sahara front driveshaft in your garage until you re-gear a D30.
I actually have an 8' pallet that I can strap the D30 onto but I still think the shipping will be prohibitive.

My D30 is from my '87 so the brakes and everything should be exactly like brakes and axles currently in the '88 Sahara. I think Jeep went to different front knuckles, discs and calipers in 1991.
I also have the old non-C-clip D35 (3:07) that was in my '87 but it needs a wheel bearing & seal, brake shoes, drums and brake kit. You're welcome to that axle too if you think you can use it.

I can attest to their usefulness as items to trip over.

Good Luck, L.M.
Moab won't hit the 60's till Mar., so that's my next vacation. Planning to trailer one of the Jeeps up, just in case I manage to break something, and spend a few days. I think I could make room on the trailer on the way back. Be nice to see some CO. and visit a nice retired coupple I know up there. Don't let those Axles get snowbound in the meantime. Lord I hope Fuel Prices go down in the meantime. LOL

Reactions: Jimbo8v92

·
Super Moderator
14,307 Posts
Moab won't hit the 60's till Mar., so that's my next vacation. Planning to trailer one of the Jeeps up, just in case I manage to break something, and spend a few days. I think I could make room on the trailer on the way back. Be nice to see some CO. and visit a nice retired couple I know up there. Don't let those Axles get snowbound in the meantime. Lord I hope Fuel Prices go down in the meantime. LOL
We all hope gas prices will return to Pre-Covid times. Not that Covid has anything to do with the cost of gasoline. Just let me know when you're headed to Moab. With the new axles, Tonka should be the Jeep of choice.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
We all hope gas prices will return to Pre-Covid times. Not that Covid has anything to do with the cost of gasoline. Just let me know when you're headed to Moab. With the new axles, Tonka should be the Jeep of choice.

Good Luck, L.M.
TheTonka is always the Jeep of choice, the Sahara is just to keep it company...

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
2,578 Posts

Good Luck, L.M.
Yeah, I have an idea why gas is high.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Was hoping for my new axle to arrive today. FedEx was out of Trucks, Drivers or both so I'll be waiting for tomorrow.
Powerwashed the under side while old axle is out and did a little touch up paint on the springs instead.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Bumper

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior
Bumper Automotive exterior Wood Hood Gas

·
Registered
311 Posts
Was hoping for my new axle to arrive today. FedEx was out of Trucks, Drivers or both so I'll be waiting for tomorrow.
Powerwashed the under side while old axle is out and did a little touch up paint on the springs instead.
View attachment 4526180
View attachment 4526181 View attachment 4526182
Pictures like these make me miss CA. The mountains and lack of rust on cars are two positives of living there.

My Jeep is from a no salt area out West, but finding clean parts here is terrible.

Good luck on the install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16241 - 16260 of 16366 Posts