Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
16261 - 16280 of 16366 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,307 Posts
Got it at last is from Phoenix. We enjoy much the same advantages here in the metro Denver area. There's a lot of forum members that live in arid areas where there's not a lot of rust.
I'd be willing to take a look at local parts within reasonable driving distance from my home to examine parts that another forum member finds around here and would like to have them shipped to them. I would imagine that there's a few other forum members that would offer something similar. Having an unbiased advocate to take a look at parts that another member is considering buying might be great way to pay it forward for whatever benefits a member gets from this forum. A PM would be the way to begin the conversation.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,449 Posts
Pictures like these make me miss CA. The mountains and lack of rust on cars are two positives of living there.

My Jeep is from a no salt area out West, but finding clean parts here is terrible.

Good luck on the install.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I will tell you a secret, my YJ carfax puts it in Colorado from day one and ended up here around 2015. It seems that maintenance was sporadic and it started failing smog so was sold. I bought it and the rest is becoming history.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,980 Posts
@JonStevens brings up a great point. Carfax reports give a good picture of the vehicles location history and things like emissions test history to alert you to potential issues when buying. Also gives you great negotiating points when buying.

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Registered
311 Posts
Got it at last is from Phoenix. We enjoy much the same advantages here in the metro Denver area. There's a lot of forum members that live in arid areas where there's not a lot of rust.
I'd be willing to take a look at local parts within reasonable driving distance from my home to examine parts that another forum member finds around here and would like to have them shipped to them. I would imagine that there's a few other forum members that would offer something similar. Having an unbiased advocate to take a look at parts that another member is considering buying might be great way to pay it forward for whatever benefits a member gets from this forum. A PM would be the way to begin the conversation.

Good Luck, L.M.
My Jeep is from the Denver area originally, then Boise, Fargo, Minneapolis (thankfully only a year) and then me in IA.

I’m fortunate for sure. I appreciate your helpfulness!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,980 Posts
Got my 500 break-in miles logged on the Odometer, While I was changing out the gear oil in the new axle I made an evening out of it and changed fluids in everything. Front and rear differentials, engine, transfer case, power steering and coolant. Didn't do the trans because I did that 2 months ago while I was doing the trans swap in the Sahara. While I was at it a new set of plugs, fuel filter, air filter and serpentine belt all found it's way off of the to-do list.

All ready for the AZ Trail season, planning on romping the Tonka a little tomorrow...

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,449 Posts
Got my 500 break-in miles logged on the Odometer, While I was changing out the gear oil in the new axle I made an evening out of it and changed fluids in everything. Front and rear differentials, engine, transfer case, power steering and coolant. Didn't do the trans because I did that 2 months ago while I was doing the trans swap in the Sahara. While I was at it a new set of plugs, fuel filter, air filter and serpentine belt all found it's way off of the to-do list.

All ready for the AZ Trail season, planning on romping the Tonka a little tomorrow...
I would go ahead and change out from summer air to winter air in your tires while it is in your brain. I always forget and find myself doing it on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
I would go ahead and change out from summer air to winter air in your tires while it is in your brain. I always forget and find myself doing it on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere.
That's the plan when I air down tomorrow, 1:30am in the morning is not a good time to run the compressor in my neighbors opinion. LOL good one Jon

·
Super Moderator
14,307 Posts
Oh great! Something else to do.
1- Yesterday at a light a guy pulled next to me and told me that my brake lights weren't working.
2- Jeep isn't running quite as strong as it has been. Time for new plugs.
3- Have a new noise (speed related, metal rubbing against metal)
4- Time to change the gear oil in the 8.8
5- And now, I have to change my summer air out for winter air. The weather here is still real nice. Perhaps I can drive up to Wyoming to get some winter air. Thanks Jon.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
'88 Wrangler YJ 4.2 / Weber 32/36 / Nutter'd / Stick
141 Posts
Installed/bled new clutch master cylinder.

And installed step bars... you know, for the short legged wife. ;)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle

Edit: this was yesterday

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
1- Yesterday at a light a guy pulled next to me and told me that my brake lights weren't working.
5- And now, I have to change my summer air out for winter air. The weather here is still real nice. Perhaps I can drive up to Wyoming to get some winter air. Thanks Jon.

Good Luck, L.M.
May not be the best viscosity for your climate, but ECGS strogly recommends Lucas 85-140 for their gearwork. I took their advice and burned my last 3qt's of valvoline 75-90 on the break-in and swapped over to 85-140 for both jeeps.
Something about the heat handling capabilities. $8.70 qt off amazon, .30 cheaper than autozone and it comes to the door.
YMMV

·
Registered
141 Posts
Today: Me and the Granddaughter went hunting & she learned how to drive a Jeep :)

No Deer, but did get a few rounds off with the M4 at a HUGE black hog running through the brush.

Plant Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Reactions: SR_88

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Today: Me and the Granddaughter went hunting & she learned how to drive a Jeep :)

No Deer, but did get a few rounds off with the M4 at a HUGE black hog running through the brush.

View attachment 4526917
She looks too serious, better get her some more miles behind the wheel so she can enjoy the privelage of driving a YJ...

·
Super Moderator
14,307 Posts
May not be the best viscosity for your climate, but ECGS strogly recommends Lucas 85-140 for their gearwork. I took their advice and burned my last 3qt's of valvoline 75-90 on the break-in and swapped over to 85-140 for both jeeps.
Something about the heat handling capabilities. $8.70 qt off amazon, .30 cheaper than autozone and it comes to the door.
YMMV
Based on the black sludge that was in there I could run olive oil and it would be better. After I cleaned it out I used regular Valvoline 75W-90 for the first fill. It was a used axle assembly so I assume it's already well broken in. I want to change the lube again because of the gunk that was in there. I cleaned the R&P and the pumpkin, but there's always residual goop in the bearings and the tubes that a casual cleaning won't get. I figure running it a couple hundred miles with new lube and changing it will get more junk out. Depending on what the stuff that I dump out looks like, I may change the lube one more time in the near future. I already have the gear lube to do the change, but if I decide to do it one more time, I think the heavier Lucas is a good idea. Thanks.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
141 Posts
She looks too serious, better get her some more miles behind the wheel so she can enjoy the privelage of driving a YJ...
Yeah, she drives my Ranger same way :)

But she did very well, only one stall out going from 1st into 2nd, lost all the momentum... Surprisingly, not a single one on take off.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Based on the black sludge that was in there I could run olive oil and it would be better. After I cleaned it out I used regular Valvoline 75W-90 for the first fill. It was a used axle assembly so I assume it's already well broken in. I want to change the lube again because of the gunk that was in there. I cleaned the R&P and the pumpkin, but there's always residual goop in the bearings and the tubes that a casual cleaning won't get. I figure running it a couple hundred miles with new lube and changing it will get more junk out. Depending on what the stuff that I dump out looks like, I may change the lube one more time in the near future. I already have the gear lube to do the change, but if I decide to do it one more time, I think the heavier Lucas is a good idea. Thanks.

Good Luck, L.M.
I think the break-in piece was meant more to let the magnets do their job and collect any metal shavings and assembly gunk out after the build. Oil wasn't as dirty as they said it might be but I did have a little chia pet thing going on the plugs when I pulled them out. I did a little run run down the freeway this morning to double check for leaks and the most noticeable result of last nights maintenance was how much smoother my power steering worked/sounded with new fluid.
Good Times

·
Registered
141 Posts
Changed xfer case fluid. No big deal.

·
Super Moderator
14,307 Posts

Good Luck, L.M.
1- Checked the brake lights. They're working.
2- Found the electric choke wire had fallen off and choke was partially closed. Put wire back on and put off changing plugs.
3- Noise may be an air leak that my hearing aids magnify to sound like metal on metal
4- Put it off for another day. I have to change the oil in Mrs. Luckys' Cadillac.
5- Put this off too. I'd rather wait until the weather cools off than drive to Wyoming.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
4,980 Posts
Took the Tonka out yesterday, New Axle performed as expected as expected, Rear disc brakes never locked up coming downhill on loose rock and steep grade as drums have in the past.
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Bedrock

·
Registered
141 Posts
About that worn hood/cowl seal...

good as new

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior

16261 - 16280 of 16366 Posts