Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
16341 - 16360 of 16511 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,061 Posts
Going back a page to post #16340, here's an additional tidbit.
According to the 2005 Explorer Sport Track owner's manual. the rear differential requires 85W-140 Synthetic gear lube. The stuff is thick like honey. I tried a cheap pump to pump it in but it took forever (see pic#1). The pump might be OK for auto trans fluid (into the transfer case) but it doesn't work well for the heavier gear lube.
There's enough space between the axle fill opening and the bottom of the Jeep floor that I could fit an adaption that's in pic #2. With the 8.8 in a wrangler, the '87 doesn't have anti-lock brakes so the sensor on the top of the 8.8 axle isn't used. However, by removing the sensor and sticking the hose in the sensor hole, gravity works in my favor. I simply stick the bottle above the axle between the driveshaft and the floor and allow gravity to work until the fluid runs out of the fill hole.
The adaption is simply a length of vinyl hose clamped on the snout that comes on the gear lube bottle.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

Reactions: steves92

·
Registered
'88 Wrangler YJ 4.2 / Weber 32/36 / Nutter'd / Stick
179 Posts
Installed a new stereo.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design Audio equipment

Recently got a new phone and hadn't noticed Samsung had decided to drop the mini-jack. Old unit didn't have phone or blue-tooth capabilities, as well as being stuck on really BRIGHT blue display (really bright driving at night) New unit has dimmer and full RGB range of color preference, and certainly sounds better than the Dual I had before.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Installed a new stereo.

View attachment 4532354

Recently got a new phone and hadn't noticed Samsung had decided to drop the mini-jack. Old unit didn't have phone or blue-tooth capabilities, as well as being stuck on really BRIGHT blue display (really bright driving at night) New unit has dimmer and full RGB range of color preference, and certainly sounds better than the Dual I had before.
That’s on my list, Bluetooth capable I’m assuming? What did it cost you and is it a high output unit? Haven’t researched much yet but I need a pretty basic, no bells and whistles but Bluetooth and high output + amp outputs if I ever decide on that. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'88 Wrangler YJ 4.2 / Weber 32/36 / Nutter'd / Stick
179 Posts
That’s on my list, Bluetooth capable I’m assuming? What did it cost you and is it a high output unit? Haven’t researched much yet but I need a pretty basic, no bells and whistles but Bluetooth and high output + amp outputs if I ever decide on that. Lol.

I'm not much the audiophile but it does have BT & amp hookups. Even a port for Sirius XM receiver.

·
Registered
409 Posts

I bought a cheap $39 Blaupunt off Walmart.com which sounds crappy without Pandora paired to it. Once connected I have Bose concert quality. Sounds like a big amp under the seat and the radio is waterproof.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,507 Posts
Found me a cheap set of 35s to see what I need to do. They are worn down enough that they are barely bigger than my 33s. I will probably need to remove the flares to even try them on.

Tire Photograph Wheel Automotive tire Light

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
5,374 Posts
Looks like you have a spare inch. Just don't hit any bumps.

Reactions: JonStevens

·
Registered
342 Posts
I ordered a new distributor, as mine cracked at the clamp area. Tried JB weld. It cracked again right away. I hope there isn’t another issue going on that will ruin the new one. I’ll hand spin the engine after install to be sure.

Also plan on new drums and shoes. Not very motivated to work in 10 degree temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,061 Posts
I saw the green transmission case and thought "What the heck?". Then I thought "Oh yeah, Daddy Jeep. It's a theme".

Must be nice to have a lift for such a project.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: daddyjeep

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I saw the green transmission case and thought "What the heck?". Then I thought "Oh yeah, Daddy Jeep. It's a theme".

Must be nice to have a lift for such a project.

Good Luck, L.M.
I actually didn't use the lift. I don't have a transmission jack for under the lift so it is actually easier doing it on the floor.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
5,374 Posts
I told my wife I wanted to put a lift outside on the side of the house. She bought me a shovel and said "Dig a hole".

·
Super Moderator
15,061 Posts
I told my wife I wanted to put a lift outside on the side of the house. She bought me a shovel and said "Dig a hole".
Out of the mouths of "babes". I don't have the height in my garage for a lift, but perhaps I can cut the concrete floor and dig a pit. Thank Mrs. Got it for the great suggestion.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
You guys are always showing off. I don't have a lift, or a garage, or a house...

View attachment 4532822
I get spoiled when the neighbor works weekends because I can use her spot until she gets home, lol.
You may not have a house, garage or lift. But you do have a YJ, what more can a guy ask for.

·
Super Moderator
15,061 Posts
And a very nice YJ at that.
When I was in your position with no lift, garage or house, all I had was a gravel driveway along side the apartment I was renting and I had to scrounge cardboard from the Walmart dumpster to put on the gravel so I wouldn't loose my parts or tools in the gravel.
If you stay away from booze, drugs, gambling and toxic relationships, you'll be able to have the good life too. The first thing to do is save up for a down payment on a house. After that, things just seem to go from there.

Good Luck, L.M.

16341 - 16360 of 16511 Posts