Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, open mouth...remove foot. I came off of a 13 year run in a Taco, and I had to accept the fact that it wasn't fitting the family of 4 very well. My wife had a lot to do with the "accepting" part. I really wasn't sure about this stumpy, half-baked looking thing in my driveway that replaced my pickup. In fact, I was more like f$#k this thing. It couldn't compare to my taco, so I set out to humble this hair-pie of a vehicle.

The only thing that got humbled... Was me. I am flat-out beyond impressed. The Wonkivator can take some, and ask for more. I pushed it today, beyond my own limits and came out grinning ear to ear. That being said, a couple things could be a bit better. its mostly stock, barring a 2.5" lift, 8000lb winch, (which I used today) and a Congo Cage with basket.

On the road... It drives like CRAP. Almost wanted a custom plate with GTLSWNDR. Off road, it could use something better than the stock "32's" (31.3") I actually managed to high-center it today due to a 3' rock coming lose as I came over it, and and as impressive as the BLD system is, it failed. Hence the use of the winch. My plan is:

E-Locker up front
TrueTrac in the rear
33" Duratracs
4.56 gears

This leaves me with 2 questions for those experienced with this:

1. With 33's and 4.56's, am I trading one useless gear for another? I.E. 6th for 1st, will 1st be way, way too low? (6 speed manual)
2. According to the famous gear chart, 4.56 will put me at 2700 rpm at 70 mph, is this in 5th or 6th? I can't find a definitive answer on that. I would think 5th being that 6th is an overdrive gear, but look at my 1st impression with the Jeep. Obviously I've been wrong before :)

If you've made it this far through my rant and ramble, thank you.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Bought my 2009 used. It drove like crap too. Wandered all over the road. Chalked it up to lift and large tires and talked myself into thinking it really wasn't that bad. The more I drove it the worse it really seemed. It would follow every crack and sometimes it felt like it would kind of pull to the right when I was going around a gentle left curve. Always felt like I was back and forth in the lane.

2 months later comes the death wobble. Shouldn't have taken this to convince me something was wrong but it did. Found out the track bar was loose and tie rod ends worn.

It now drives 100% better. Sometimes the large tires grab a crack and follow them but I don't question the control. Steering feels way more connected. I don't feel like I am back and forth in the lane like a sidewinder. Granted, it has far from the road feel of a Ferrari, or even a Honda Accord for that matter, but it feels "safe" now.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Are you in a 2012+? If so, do you have 3.73 gears in it? If so, I'd say don't bother regearing for 33s.

If you've got 3.21s . . . then maybe regear if you've got the cash to burn. But I'd say 4.10s tops for 33s on a daily driver with a 6 speed. Those charts you're looking at show 6th gear, and I'd try to stay at about 2500 RPMs at 70 mph in 6th.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me ask you this Joe, you had a lift and found the trackbar loose, when you went offroad, did you hear what was like a lot of "chatter" or "clanking" when working the front suspension? This is my 1st vehicle with a lift, and I can't help comparing it to what I know, so I'm wondering if something is loose, or if its "normal". Granted, mine has the sway bar quick release mechanism, so I dunno. The front end seems tight though...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you in a 2012+? If so, do you have 3.73 gears in it? If so, I'd say don't bother regearing for 33s.

If you've got 3.21s . . . then maybe regear if you've got the cash to burn. But I'd say 4.10s tops for 33s on a daily driver with a 6 speed. Those charts you're looking at show 6th gear, and I'd try to stay at about 2500 RPMs at 70 mph in 6th.

6th, really? Wow. It's a 2009, 3.21's. I definitly want 6th to be more usable, but I don't want 1st to wrap out 4000 rpms at 3 mph either. I want a decent middle ground. I'm completely happy with its 4lo ratio, it crawls pretty nicely if I do say so myself. ;)

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Flyin Crispy said:
6th, really? Wow. It's a 2009, 3.21's. I definitly want 6th to be more usable, but I don't want 1st to wrap out 4000 rpms at 3 mph either. I want a decent middle ground. I'm completely happy with its 4lo ratio, it crawls pretty nicely if I do say so myself. ;)
I've got a 2010 6 speed with 3.21s and 33s. No problem. :thumb:

Of course, I haven't used 6th gear in years.

If you're putting in truetracs/lockers, go ahead and regear to 4.56 or 4.88 for 33s to 35s.

I'd lean strongly toward 4.56s for 33s, but folks always tell me I'm crazy and 4.88s are a better fit--but I disagree.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Let me ask you this Joe, you had a lift and found the trackbar loose, when you went offroad, did you hear what was like a lot of "chatter" or "clanking" when working the front suspension? This is my 1st vehicle with a lift, and I can't help comparing it to what I know, so I'm wondering if something is loose, or if its "normal". Granted, mine has the sway bar quick release mechanism, so I dunno. The front end seems tight though...
Yes I started hearing clunking or clanking now and then in the suspension. Can't say that I heard it off road though. I think mostly because off road I am usually driving so slow. I would hear the noise popping up the curb coming in the driveway or maybe sometimes cranking the wheel hard in a parking lot. The sway bar and track bar are two different things. I also have Rubi with the way bar disconnect.

The most noise I heard off road was the tires rubbing the fenders a bit under some heavy articulation. That is where the quote from my wife came from when she heard scraping.

Read up on death wobble and solutions for it. 06-10 JK's suspension seems to get loose and cause driveability issues. Nothing to get panicked about but I have learned that I need to keep an eye on the suspension components, especially that track bar, and make sure they stay tight and all is well. I have learned that it takes a lot of bars going this and that way to keep a solid front axle in place since whatever happens to the left side causes and exact opposite reaction in the right and vice versa. That makes good handling difficult.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got a 2010 6 speed with 3.21s and 33s. No problem. :thumb:

Of course, I haven't used 6th gear in years.

If you're putting in truetracs/lockers, go ahead and regear to 4.56 or 4.88 for 33s to 35s.

I'd lean strongly toward 4.56s for 33s, but folks always tell me I'm crazy and 4.88s are a better fit--but I disagree.
Hmm, yeah. Based on what I feel I've learned, I agree with you on 4.56's. I was more worried that 1st was gonna be outrageously low. I can always start in 2nd, but with my personality, having a gear I can't use just bugs the heck outta me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I started hearing clunking or clanking now and then in the suspension. Can't say that I heard it off road though. I think mostly because off road I am usually driving so slow. I would hear the noise popping up the curb coming in the driveway or maybe sometimes cranking the wheel hard in a parking lot. The sway bar and track bar are two different things. I also have Rubi with the way bar disconnect.

The most noise I heard off road was the tires rubbing the fenders a bit under some heavy articulation. That is where the quote from my wife came from when she heard scraping.

Read up on death wobble and solutions for it. 06-10 JK's suspension seems to get loose and cause driveability issues. Nothing to get panicked about but I have learned that I need to keep an eye on the suspension components, especially that track bar, and make sure they stay tight and all is well. I have learned that it takes a lot of bars going this and that way to keep a solid front axle in place since whatever happens to the left side causes and exact opposite reaction in the right and vice versa. That makes good handling difficult.
I'm on it like white on rice. Thanks buddy, will-do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts