Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not to highjack a thread, but "why doesn't" Chevy and Ford bring the Blazer (not that s10 with a camper shell like a big nasty Blazer) and Bronco back, respectively? That's what I want to know! Or International needs to reintroduce itself to the civilian car market again and resurrect the Scout!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
um... you do know that the original Jeeps used in WWII were built by both Willy's AND ford, right? and that the signature Jeep grill so prominently displayed in the new Jeep logo was designed by Ford?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Depends on when either ford or chevy got the rights.. Im guessing for as far as Jeep has strayed away from what made a Jeep a Jeep when chrysler first got it.. Ford and chevy would have killed Jeep a long time ago. Maybe not the name but the I6 and strait axles would have not been around as long as they were as a staple in the Jeep line. The XJ wouldnt have made it to 2001.. The wrangler however it would be would have lost its live axle a long while back.. Ford and chevy havent shown much intrest in building a offroad vehicle in the last 2 decades. I mean yeah there are chevy and ford trucks that have some kind of quote un quote off road pakages in the time that chrysler has had Jeep but those a laughable in comparison to all Jeeps that support those what Jeep is suppose to be characteristics. At this time ford has tried to get in with there svt raptor but that is more of a attempt at a high speed baja truck then a in the muck on the rocks offroader.. Compared to a Jeep cousin the dodge power wagon it hardly compares.. Chevy doesnt even try to target any offroader at this time.
Chrysler in the last 5 years has killed what Jeep once was but they still have the wrangler going for them and are really pushing there off road pkg G.C even though as a offroad base the ZJ was a way better place to start..
In the end chrysler is still supporting the offroad community with there Jeep JK and to a way lesser extent the Jeep G.C. Ford and chevy show no care for that market..
Just my opinion take it as you may

·
Vendor
5,686 Posts
The CJ/Wrangler has been around since 1942. It's changed amazingly little in its very long lifetime. My 1960 CJ looks a lot like a WWII Jeep, and my 1980 CJ7 looks a lot like my 1960. The Wranglers here at work have gotten more civilized (and the brakes work) but STILL share a strong resemblance to my Jeeps.

In that time they've been built or owned by:

Bantam
Ford
Willys Overland
Kaiser
AMC
AMC/Renault
Chrysler
Chrysler/Mercedes
Chrysler/Fiat

All those companies, all those brand managers, all those executives have understood what the Jeep was all about, and none of them has destroyed that. Given the history of American automotive decisions, that's awesome!

·
that's what she said
16,481 Posts
i don't particularly care who makes or owns it as long as it is not Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Company Ltd (hummer anyone? :D)

·
MARGARET, 10-14-51\6-1-12
10,296 Posts
if it was GM owned it would have had a v8 a long time ago, gm puts v8's in everything these days.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
if GM owned Jeep, we'd have a V8, but electric & automatic everything and none of it would work right.

if Ford owned Jeep, we might get a V6 that actually had power, but the door latches wouldn't work right.

but with Chrysler, we get an underpowered engine, crappy automatic tranny, under geared axles, small brakes and a navigation system.

given Ford's recent new technologies and commitment to quality, i think i'd choose Ford :)

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
My father is a Chrysler retire. Because of that company, my family was well taken care of and we had a good life because of it. So I was happy to get a Chrysler product (the employee pricing is nice too).

Would I have got a jeep if it was owned by another? Probably.

I lived right by the plant for many years, am from Toledo just like Jeep. Had toys when I was a kid. Just always had a connection with the jeep.

Happy I finally got to own one.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Well seeing that ford owned jeep, amc owned jeep, chrysler owned jeep. It seems like its chevys turn to own jeep. And I'm sure if chevy owned jeep they'd have the rubicon with a optional ls series motor and 4l60-e transmission. I say let chevy own jeep instead of a overseas company. After all they did ditch hummer....

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have no brand loyalty. As long as they don't change the formula (two solid axles and removable top and doors) I don't care who owns it.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts