Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is kind of a wide open question...but I have a broke down 01 Sport and no money to fix it. I am contemplating selling it just to buy me a economical car.

The Good...
2001 Sport, Yellow, Full Doors, 3 year old best top, 4" Lift, 33" BFG Mud Terrains.

The Bad....
6 cyl engine with a knock on Cyl 2. Haven't drove since it started knocking in Feb. Had the money to fix, mechanic backed out on me and now I no longer have the money to fix. Not sure if it is a broken rod, rod bearing or what.

What do you guys suppose something like this may go for?
Would I be better off getting a loan to fix and sell it after?

Thoughts....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Central IL. I have a few guys interested if I do decide to sell...but I have no idea where to start on price.

I do know for around 1500 you can buy a used engine to drop in it. I was planning on fixing it as 1500 replacement has more miles on it then what mine does. Fixing it for a little bit more and knowing what I had seemed like a better idea then dropping in something that I don't know what I am getting does. If that makes any sense. lol

I had one guy tell me I may be able to get 1k out of it. Well he must be smoking crack. I could part it out and get more. Dang low ballers. lol

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
In non running condition they are worth a lot less. But you can always find people who will pay more if you look long enough. Just an FYI I fixed a totally seized motor for the cost of bearings and gaskets. If the walls are not damaged it may be cheaper than you think to fix. Find a friend to help pull it apart

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would prefer to fix it, but I don't have a garage. I am not real comfortable tearing into an engine. I just don't know what I want to do right now. I am totally on the fence.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
So my question, maybe I missed it, but does the Jeep run?
My understanding from OP is it runs but knocks and we don't know how long it will "run" like that......

To OP unless you NEED to sell it, (need the space/ in an apartment/ don't plan to work on it or repair it) I would wait until funds became available to repair the motor not replace.....and roll that into price of selling it.

Around here TJs are bringing anywhere from $8K and up...have seen as high as $17 (crazy I know).

Bottom line unless you "have to sell it" it will be worth 3 or 4 times as much if fixed before it is sold...GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
783 Posts
My understanding from OP is it runs but knocks and we don't know how long it will "run" like that......

To OP unless you NEED to sell it, (need the space/ in an apartment/ don't plan to work on it or repair it) I would wait until funds became available to repair the motor not replace.....and roll that into price of selling it.

Around here TJs are bringing anywhere from $8K and up...have seen as high as $17 (crazy I know).

Bottom line unless you "have to sell it" it will be worth 3 or 4 times as much if fixed before it is sold...GOOD LUCK!!
What he said, Unless yours is full of rot or looks like it just left a demo derby a running 4.0 TJ bottoms out around $6-7000-ish. (from my experience...) knocking... who knows what you'd get offered for it. I've seen blown up TJ's literally given away for a case of beer. If you can fix it for a respectable amount and find a place to do it and someone to help I'd say go for it... then again you may not want to get rid of it afterward.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does run, I just parked it when it developed the knock. I don't want to cause any more damage then it may have already. We unplugged fuel injectors to narrow down
which cyl was knocking. Unplugged #2 and the knock significantly quieted down.

It is just sitting useless in my driveway. I have been riding the motorcycle to work through rain and cold since March. It isn't that I want to sell it...just trying to make a decision on what to do.

Has anybody here had any experience with a jeep that developed such a knock and what it takes to fix? I had a quote based on just listening to it. 700 in parts if he had to replace the crank..I think that is what he said.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Around here Tjs are hella expensive. Mine was "cheap"... At $16k

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I will ask the question because nobody else has..
Is it a consistant 'tick' or a really bad knock? because TJ's are known to develop a engine tick. Although not desireable it isn't altogether going to destroy the engine. It is just the rockers. I know guys running with the tick for 50k + miles. I am on about 10K on my tick.

A video with sound would probably help identify it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts