Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just wondering why my mpg has been fluctuating so much. I've hit my all time low of 13.7 mpg. Yes I know all about winter gas causing a drop but this is ridiculous. I'm driving a stock 2012 Sahara unlimited with 3.21 gears, stock wheels/tires set at correct pressure, 15400 miles and no lift.
I asked the dealer back in October about this when a few times the mpg hit the lowest (at that time) of 14.9mpg. They said they checked the engine and nothing was wrong. It eventually went back up to around 15.5-17.5. But now 13.7?? Seems way to low or is it just me?

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
No I'm running worse since the winter gas came in (way worse). I'd say it's the same also in my pickup .It is something we will have to live with until spring I guess

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I'm running worse since the winter gas came in (way worse). I'd say it's the same also in my pickup .It is something we will have to live with until spring I guess
I'm aware of the winter gas affect. It can make a big difference. My question is why is this winter worse than last year? Last winter I never went below 15.5 mpg. Now I'm at 13.7. Is the winter gas worse this year or do I have a mechanical problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like you are driving a 2012. Search 'ticking pentastar' in the forum search window... May be a head issue.

·
Super Moderator
21,946 Posts
I'm aware of the winter gas affect. It can make a big difference. My question is why is this winter worse than last year? Last winter I never went below 15.5 mpg. Now I'm at 13.7. Is the winter gas worse this year or do I have a mechanical problem.
Are you using only the jeeps computer to figure the mpg or dividing miles driven by gallons taken? I think if 13.7mpg is highway driving under 70 it is pretty low if that is around town and idling and warming up etc that is probably in the ball park. Winter gas is a function of the refineries and last years gas may have been better then this years winter blend. Also seems like this year has been colder in a lot of places so if that is the case in your area that would be one reason for lower mpg.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm at 13.8mpg 2014 with almost 4k. In the cold I take my foot off the gas and my Jeep slows down so quickly I rarely need to use the brakes. Poor gas mileage is partly due to winter gas but I think there is considerable friction in the drive train and with the cold and thick lubricating fluids it just gets worse.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Makes no sense I have a stock 2013 unlimited sport and I get 20 mpg ave. I have gotten max of 23 when I really nursed it. mainly highway. Now I am at 19.5 to 10.5 mpg so for a newer wrangler I think you have a problem.

Try this link it is a gov link to track your mpg etc. I used it before on cars to track what I was getting.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you are driving a 2012. Search 'ticking pentastar' in the forum search window... May be a head issue.
I asked the dealership to check it last October when I started noticing the mpgs. Told them to look at the heads as a possible cause. They said everything ok. So maybe I need go have another shop look at it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been noticing a fairly big variance in my mileage as well ( stock JKR with 4.1 6mt 24k miles) on average with normal driving i'm about 18-20 mpg, if i really nurse it i can get 22.5 but this winter i've seen it drop to 14.5. That said I once did a roadtrip with heavy tail winds and got 22, only downside is on the return trip later that day where it dropped to 14-15. It could just be that your recent trips have not been with favorable winds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No offense intended, but worrying too much about jeep mpg is a little like discussing the off-roading capabilities of a prius...

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Your fuel economy is fine.
Mine was at 13.0 (per EVIC) yesterday.....all local driving.

2013 Sahara JKU, 3.73, auto

Winter fuel + vehicle warming up (especially is using remote start) = poor economy....even worse if you are just taking short trips.

Remote start is a KILLER on fuel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Check tire pressure also. a Mechanic I know recommended to me one time and I run it on all my vehicles is 40 psi for on road. I get much better/noticeable mpg that way. Also it is a valid to question why some are getting 19-20 and others 14 or less on the same motor? who wants to waste extra $ on poor performance if it can be fixed? My sons 06 TJ gets 15 on the old inline 6. but the newer motors should be doing better. MO
PS most my driving is highway right now my tank is at 1/3 full and so far my mpg rating is 20.3 for that tank. I keep it under 60 mph though on highway. The sweet spot I found is 45-50. once over 60 it loses mpg fast. 70 I get about 18. 60 I can get 20.5-21.5 on highway. 55 doesn't add that much

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
No offense intended, but worrying too much about jeep mpg is a little like discussing the off-roading capabilities of a prius...
I wouldn't call it worrying so much as not getting advertised values. the reason we see alot of these MPG threads with newer 3.6 JKs is because they were advertised as better MPG this fact has probably been used alot as a selling feature. That said the rated value is around 20 mpg. Since some people are getting much less than that posted figure it is like saying you are supposed to get 285 HP but in reality you only get 100 HP.

It is only when someone with a lift and bigger tires complains about lack of mileage that we get into talking about the off road abilities of a prius. lol then a gain, some nice off road tires, and a lift might make something worth while out of a prius... so much torque from those electric motors.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stay off the skinny pedal so much and it'll skyrocket. Of course where is the fun in that?

I have a 13JKU with 37s running factory 3.73s and an auto. With all that and heavy bumpers and winch...etc I still get an average of about 14mpg in town.

Yes I have corrected the speedometer and verify mileage with a GPS along with doing hand calculations. I drive fairly spirited but when I really romp hard on it I can see it drop down to close to 12.5 in town. On the highway I can easily hit 17-18 if I am on flat ground with cruise set at 60-65.

Prior to my lift and mods I was getting 16-17+ in town and usually around 20 highway. My all time best was 120 miles cruise set at 55 and averaged 29.8. I can't tell you how mad I was to not break 30.

Get a decent cold air intake and throttlebody spacer. I used AFE and like it quite a bit. Stay away from the oiled filters like K&N. Also a more free flowing exhaust helps too.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I'd say gas is the issue. I'm down here in Texas and get 16mpg on 37s

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm clocking in 19.7mpg on a pretty much stock 2-door 2013 Rubicon here in California. Most of my driving is highway and I'm never in a rush so I just set the cruise to around 62mph and go...

Drive it like a Jeep not like you stole it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts