Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone else mentioned this "Deep Tint Sunscreen" on another thread and just talking about this deep tint sunscreen got me going again. I just emailed Chrysler and asked this question- so I would like to see what my friends here on the forum say. I ordered my Jeep online with a "dealer" and I specifically asked if my windows would be tinted and was told, "Yes. They will be tinted" On the printout that was given to me after I ordered it online says, "Deep Tint Sunscreen" because when you order it online- it clearly states that the Sport S has DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN- I am looking right at it. But on my Jeep- Nope. No deep tint. When you order the Sport S online, it is an option for an additional $300. I asked the dealership if I was supposed to have tinted windows and was told via email, which I still have, that all jeeps have "deep tint sunscreen" and that this is something different than "window tint" and that "the window tint is included only on the Sahara and the four door models" Then why is "Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows" an option for $300??? Why would someone pay $300 dollars for what appears to be a normal factory slightly green tint? If I did want "Window Tint" from the factory, what would I order, meaning, what is window tint called if not "Deep Tint Sunscreen"? I just feel that something isn't right here and wanted to get some input before Chrysler contacts me so that I will know how to respond. THANKS!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
One reason never to order online.

Walk in, shake the salesman's hand, kick the tires, make sure it's got all the necessary widgets, drive it, smell it, listen for incipient engine ticks, check the men's room to see if the dealership keeps the urinals clean, have some popcorn, then, when the sales guy's just about had it with your waffling on options and haggling over every penny – BAM! – make the deal.

That's how I do it, anyway. :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front drivers and passenger doors are not deep tinted...due to local laws in certain areas, rear doors and removable top windows are deep tinted if ordered
That makes sense. So basically you are saying that in your opinion, my hardtop should have what the average person would call, "Tinted Windows". Is that correct?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
In your situation if you didn't pay $300 you don't have Deep Tint on the 3 windows of the hard top. JK's all have "tinted" windows, including the hard top No one pays for that. Deep tint is a $300 option for the hard top, I guess minus the Sahara and 4dr. I agree with wolf. I'm too old school not to talk to people anymore. I paid $300 extra to get it on my Rubi hard top. All this texting and e-mailing the next thing you know I'll have to give up my rotary dial phone.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Hmmm......I just tried building a 2012 Sport S on the Jeep website and it showed deep tinted sunscreen windows as standard equipment, not a $300 option.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm......I just tried building a 2012 Sport S on the Jeep website and it showed deep tinted sunscreen windows as standard equipment, not a $300 option.
Exactly.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
That makes sense. So basically you are saying that in your opinion, my hardtop should have what the average person would call, "Tinted Windows". Is that correct?
Your windows are "tinted windows" according to the factory. What that means is they have a protective film/coating and act as a sun screen from harmful UV rays. In the past Jeep called them either "tinted sunscreen glass" or just sunscreen glass. If you want the "deep tint" or what we normal folks call tinted windows you would have had to pay the $300 for the "dark(deep) tinted windows".

·
Registered
215 Posts
"Deep" tint sunscreen is the dark tinting and is an option. Tinted windows are the greenish tint windows. I know and agree it is not the usual "tinting" most people think of when the wording "tinted windows" is used.

My wife's Sahara came with deep tint sunscreen on the three rear windows This shows on the window sticker for her Sahara:

My Rubicon did not come with the deep tint suncreen, but tinted windows still shows on the sticker:

Either way I had the front two windows on the Sahara tinted and all 5 on the Rubicon tinted and they look pretty much the same.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In your situation if you didn't pay $300 you don't have Deep Tint on the 3 windows of the hard top. JK's all have "tinted" windows, including the hard top No one pays for that. Deep tint is a $300 option for the hard top, I guess minus the Sahara and 4dr. I agree with wolf. I'm too old school not to talk to people anymore. I paid $300 extra to get it on my Rubi hard top. All this texting and e-mailing the next thing you know I'll have to give up my rotary dial phone.
I agree with old schooling it too- but they didn't have what I wanted on the lot, and I wanted specifics- I guess this is the price I pay- no wait- I already paid! LOL. So My question is, if it were true what the dealer says, what would one select to have their windows tinted? You said Deep Tint for $300- and according to the dealer, we all have deep tint! It says it on my online order sheet that I have the Deep Tint, hence it not being necessary to order it. I think the dealer is wrong by stating that we all have "deep tint". I'm very impressed that you are on the "forum" btw- and using a fancy computer! :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your windows are "tinted windows" according to the factory. What that means is they have a protective film/coating and act as a sun screen from harmful UV rays. In the past Jeep called them either "tinted sunscreen glass" or just sunscreen glass. If you want the "deep tint" or what we normal folks call tinted windows you would have had to pay the $300 for the "dark(deep) tinted windows".

Yes- I understand that. Point being is that when I ordered it, it stated that I was getting them, and the dealer says that we ALL have Deep Tint. Trust me, I would have ordered them too- but I read on my build sheet that I was already getting them, hence that being unnecessary to order them.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yes- I understand that. Point being is that when I ordered it, it stated that I was getting them, and the dealer says that we ALL have Deep Tint. Trust me, I would have ordered them too- but I read on my build sheet that I was already getting them, hence that being unnecessary to order them.

Might be an issue with what Chrysler calls the standard tinted windows, but there is definitely a difference in the $300 option...as shown above. I think that they are close to a 20% tint.

I got them on my last two Wranglers so I can leave valuables in the back without them being visible. That said, it's VERY easy to fix after the fact on a hardtop by going to an aftermarket tinting shop.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right- according to the factory they are sunscreen glass. But the average person would not consider that to be tinted. So when I asked if my windows would be tinted, it is misleading to say yes, and to list it on my build sheet that I have "DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN WINDOWS" and then not give them to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Might be an issue with what Chrysler calls the standard tinted windows, but there is definitely a difference in the $300 option...as shown above. I think that they are close to a 20% tint.

I got them on my last two Wranglers so I can leave valuables in the back without them being visible. That said, it's VERY easy to fix after the fact on a hardtop by going to an aftermarket tinting shop.
True. I have always heard that the tint at the factory is far superior to a tint shop job. That is why I wanted them to be from the factory. I would have gladly paid $300 to have them factory tinted, but didn't think that was necessary as it came as a standard option because it said so on the build sheet. Again, on my build sheet online, it states that I have "deep tint sunscreen windows". I just tried it again, when you go online and you build the Sport S, and click on the plus sign to expand the exterior options, it says it there, as clear as day, DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN WINDOWS. :confused:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Weird about the build sheet.

This is the sticker for my 2013 JKR, where deep tint is not included in the base package for a hardtop. As you can see, the factory hardtop is listed as having "Tinted Rear Quarter and Liftgate Windows"...and the separate $300 option is named "Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows"

BTW, I checked the pricing spreadsheet for 2-doors...and this is what I see:

• Sport - not an option
  • Sport S -$300 option
  • Sahara - included in Sahara package
  • Rubicon -$300 option

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
Right- according to the factory they are sunscreen glass. But the average person would not consider that to be tinted. So when I asked if my windows would be tinted, it is misleading to say yes, and to list it on my build sheet that I have "DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN WINDOWS" and then not give them to me.
Where on your build sheet does it say that? Under standard equipment or under optional equipment? Also what is the code next to it? GCD is the code for the optional deep tint windows.

My inbox here is full, system glitch I guess, but you can email me some info and I will can look into it and see if the factory screwed up. It happens, we have a chrysler 200 with two different color door panels and a dodge dart with jeep wheel center caps on one side.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Weird about the build sheet.

This is the sticker for my 2013 JKR...where deep tint is not included in the base package for a hardtop (unlike a Sahara I believe). As you can see, the factory hardtop is listed as having "Tinted Rear Quarter and Liftgate Windows"...and the separate $300 option is named "Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows"
EXACTLY! You see and what I am saying is that when I ordered it, it says that the DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN WINDOWS is standard- you can see it TODAY if you build it online! It says on my sticker that "Tinted Rear Quarter and Liftgate Windows" are on included, but the DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN is not there on the sticker. It is contradictory. Plus according to the dealer, we all have "DEEP TINT" -this is incorrect. :doh:

·
Registered
860 Posts
EXACTLY! You see and what I am saying is that when I ordered it, it says that the DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN WINDOWS is standard- you can see it TODAY if you build it online! It says on my sticker that "Tinted Rear Quarter and Liftgate Windows" are on included, but the DEEP TINT SUNSCREEN is not there on the sticker. It is contradictory. Plus according to the dealer, we all have "DEEP TINT" -this is incorrect. :doh:

Yep, he either does not know what he is talking about or is full of it.

Better than a mix-up with axle ratio though. :thumb: Now THAT is expensive to change after the fact.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts