Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Jeep is a 97 2.5L automatic. Just recently while driving highway speed the engine with stutter for a single second, the check engine light will flash on then go out within the second it comes on, and then the rpm's will jump up because the transmission drops down a gear. After the 'hiccup' the rpm's will go back to normal and the jeep will run smooth until the next hiccup. I just got new plugs and wires to remedy the problem but it did not help.

Has anyone experienced this before and have any idea what is the cause? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Check for codes first. You will get a code sooner or later if the problem keeps up.

It's not uncommon for either the crank position sensor or throttle position sensor to go bad. Both can give you stutter problems. My crank position sensor had a problem like you are describing due to the wire touching the exhaust pipe. The heat from the exhaust pipe melted the wire so I must have had a short from it.

I would also check every ground to make sure the contact is good and clean.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the fuel filter needs service would it lead to this kind of behavior? The engine will almost die, rpm's will drop, and then the rpm's will shoot up before transmission switches gears again to catch up. It all happens so fast i didn't catch the rpm drop first.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Is the crank position sensor something I can get at with the jeep sitting on the ground?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered a crankshaft sensor today. My local auto parts store didn't have them in stock and they cost a lot more through them anyways. I am hoping this sensor solves the problems. Any other insight is appreciated; I am not positive this will solve my issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Both my tps & cps have gone out b4 but when my tps went out it would drive for about 3 miles then it would die so if your driving it dont think its the tps. The cps can be changed very easy ands is quick. I would check your codes first or u could spend money you dont need to. Good luck.

98 2.5l, se, 2.5 lift, high fender kit, 8.8 rear,36in swampers

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just taking to my mechanic about the issues. He said it could possibly be the cps with the symptoms but maybe not too. There was a misfire code in it. What else should I check that would cause the misfire?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts