Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking my 06 golden eagle sport is due for differential service and transfer case service. I'm at 102k miles. I know the rear is a dana44 wih trac loc limited slip that should have a particular type of gear oil with a additive. Does anybody know what the jeep stealership would charge approximately for this type for service visit?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Save the money and do it yourself, its not hard at all. Lots of folks here will be willing to walk you thru it. As for fluid, most GL-5 gear lubes already contain a friction modifier. Check the label of the gear oil and look for something along the lines of "Compatible with Limited Slip Differentials". Most here run or will recommend a 75W90 oil.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't do it myself. Dont have the tools, time or anyplace to do it. Mainly why i'm asking for what it should cost so i don't get ripped off terribly if its possible. I do oil changes and brakes, thats about all i can do myself.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can't do it myself. Dont have the tools, time or anyplace to do it. Mainly why i'm asking for what it should cost so i don't get ripped off terribly if its possible. I do oil changes and brakes, thats about all i can do myself.
this is just an oil change for a different part of your vehicle. If you have the tools to change the oil you should have the tools to do this.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
um nope, why the hell cant anybody answer a question, if you dont know dont say anything at all. i dont work on the jeep, i have enough moeny to pay somebody to do it right the 1st time rather than do it myself and break things and do it wrong and then pay for somebody to fix my mistakes

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I paid about $250 for a jiffy lube to change fluids on both axles and the tcase in my old rig when I was an apartment dweller. I would expect the dealership to be marginally more expensive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
um nope, why the hell cant anybody answer a question, if you dont know dont say anything at all. i dont work on the jeep, i have enough moeny to pay somebody to do it right the 1st time rather than do it myself and break things and do it wrong and then pay for somebody to fix my mistakes
I'd say the service rate is $80-$90 and hour. One diff fluid change I'd guess they would charge you an hour worth of work. So $90 in labor, $30 for gear lube, $5 for the friction modifier and $10 for shop fees. $135 per axle without tax.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you. that helps, now i have a starting point in my search to have my regular mechanic do it or to let the dealership do it. i dont like just letting ppl that may not have the right oil etc work on stuff.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Call the dealership and ask, they work flat rate so they can only charge you the price the book allows. If the book says two hours, they charge you two hours whether it takes them two hours or fifteen minutes or three hours.
Your local mechanic may be more forgiving on his actual time and what he bills you. He should have all of the information for what is needed for correct liquids etc. If concerned ask him to use OEM liquids.
My local guy, looks it up, book says two hours and it takes him one will be fair and not bill the two hours.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
same with my local mechanic, hes fair and he doesnt fix things that dont need fixing unless he tells me and i ok it and he doesnt chargge tax if i pay cash and he gets it done in a day for the most part

·
Registered
15,660 Posts
Sales tax is just the tip of the iceberg

Lets say my wife needs some work done on her jeep and the private shop owner figures he needs to end up with 250 dollars in his pocket for his family for doing the work

So my wife does anesthesia locum tenums with and gets 1000 per day gross payment
She works a full day as a private contractor and after paying employer and employee social security plus employer and employees Medicare and income tax she keeps half or 500 and 500 goes to uncle sugar

So the shop owner does on the book work and pays uncle sugar 50% so he charges my wife 500 pockets 250 and pays uncle sugar 250 in social security Medicare and income tax because as a self employed he gets to pay employer and employee

So just to get the amount of repairs a fair self employed shop owner wants to do to put 250 in his pocket the government thieves get 750

The moral of this story is I have never taken my or my family's car truck or jeep to any repair shop unless insurance was paying the bill as although I have nothing against the shop owner the government share is just to big to make it worth playing. the other poster says he uses under the table cash payments which is kinda illegal but encouraged by an excessive tax state

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
insurance aint ever paying for routine maintenance and until they start offering healthcare for my jeep what you said is worthless

·
Registered
338 Posts
Save the money and do it yourself, its not hard at all. Lots of folks here will be willing to walk you thru it. As for fluid, most GL-5 gear lubes already contain a friction modifier. Check the label of the gear oil and look for something along the lines of "Compatible with Limited Slip Differentials". Most here run or will recommend a 75W90 oil.
X2 very easy stuff to do, couple hours at the most if that. But you want to take it somewhere and have it done just call around and find out, it doesn't matter what other people have paid for it, it's gonna matter what the places around you are gonna charge. They aren't gonna give 2 cents that billy bob on the forum paid this for his service they know what they're gonna charge and they might have some wiggle room but that's up to you to find out

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,692 Posts
I think for some people it matters where you live. I've lived in apartments that don't allow you to work on your vehicle, not even in the driveway. Some communities / developments are the same way, they have rules against it.

In cases like that, you have to work at a friends, or take it to a shop.

I do work on mine when I can, but I take it to a local mechanic for fluid changes. It's a big hassle to take the fluids to be recycled / disposed of, it's nasty work, and I don't want that stuff on my driveway or spilling in my vehicle while I transport it to the recycle place 30 minutes away. :)

Just my 2 cents.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
'13 JK
4,692 Posts
So, when you were renting those nasty landlords wouldn't let you work on your car even in the driveway! When you own your own home, you don't want to spill that nasty gear oil on YOUR driveway.

Renters are adolescent pigs.

I never had any desire to work on my vehicle at any apartment I lived in, I am only pointing out that some places have rules preventing it. Sorry I did not make that clear. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I get a half hour per axle for diff services, and that's pretty common at dealerships. Just depends on the labor rate for services. Since I work in a union luxury car service department, our labor rate is $140/hr.

·
Registered
321 Posts

EXCELLENT attitude.. So here's your answer..

Who the hell cares how much it will cost??? You're going to have the dealer do it regardless so why worry about it? Take it to them and be done. After all, you don't work on it and have enough money to have it done by someone else.

With that being said...don't come back bitching that you got screwed at the dealer (approx $350-400) for a simple job that can EASILY be done with a $20 tool set from Harbor Freight, A tube of black RTV, 2 cans of brake cleaner, a roll of paper towels, one small bottle of Limited Slip additive, 2 quarts of ATF4, and 4.5 quarts of 75/90 gear oil. All available at the local auto parts place for cheap.

Whatever...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Doing the diff oil is pretty much the same difficulty as doing an oil change. However, if money wasn't an issue, and I had a dope ass rig like yourself, I'd just have my monkey butler do it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.