Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after changing the pinion seal on the TJ, I noticed a dark liquid was leaking from the front of the transmission.

After taking a closer look, I saw the whole front of the transmission -- the part adjacent to the oil pan -- was covered in this liquid as well. So the liquid is coming from above.

I assume this is just transmission fluid and a seal must have given way. Any opinions or suggestions would be most helpful! :happyyes:

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Check your engine block next to firewall and see if oil is seeping out the valve cover gasket.

Reactions: trickydoc

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Clean it up, tighten the valve cover, and see if it returns.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Quite possibly the rear main crank seal is leaking, not uncommon. Can be replaced by leaving the transmission in place and dropping the oil pan.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, Dextreme, tworley, and Hamster! Once you guys said "valve cover", I immediately remember seeing oil on the top of it. Why I didn't make the connection in the beginning is beyond me!

I'm making dinner now -- didn't want to get my hands dirty -- but I quickly grabbed some pictures of the valve cover. I'll go out after dinner and make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, here's my update and conclusion thanks to you all! After inspecting the valve cover a bit more thoroughly, I found fresh leakage from the front CCV valve (see image).

I also read on this thread, "..that if the elbow in the back of the valve cover is clogged it causes back pressure which is why you see oil around the front one.":http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/pcv-valve-49330.html. It appears this information could be responsible for my situation.

I'm going to order the front and rear elbows, and 2 grommets, replace them, and see if that puts a stop to the leakage. I'll give an update in the coming weeks on the leakage. I'm almost certain replacing the ccv valves will do the trick!

Thank you to everyone that contributed to this mystery -- you made it so much easier to figure out. :happyyes:

·
Registered
437 Posts
That is known in the trade as ectoplasmic slime. Pictures can be deceiving and it could be Psychomagnotheric Slime Flow but I don't think so.

Who ya gonna call?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts