Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently found out my rear spider gears are worn out. Someone said it’s about to blow up my R/P whether tomorrow or another 10,000 miles. I was saving up for new wheels and tires. Was going to upgrade from 35 -38. Tires are at 8/32 now but need to replace soon. What would be more important to replace? Tires? Upgrade rear diff to Truetrac now since gears worn. I’m already at 4.88.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
spider gears are covered under the 5/100000 drivetrain warranty if you have a 2015 jeep if it is a 2016 or newer it is 5/60000. If out of warranty I would address the spider gears before I did anything else. if the grenade they can lock up your rear end causing other damage especially if going 70mph.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spider gears are covered under the 5/100000 drivetrain warranty if you have a 2015 jeep if it is a 2016 or newer it is 5/60000. If out of warranty I would address the spider gears before I did anything else. if the grenade they can lock up your rear end causing other damage especially if going 70mph.
Does upgrading from 3.71 to 4.88 gears affect warranty?

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
For starters, what does "rear spider gears are worn out" mean?
Are they chipping? That is a fairly common problem. You can replace them fairly cheaply without re-gearing if it is no longer under warranty. But you are asking about if re-gearing would affect the warranty so I assume it is still under warranty.
I would rather re-gear, but if you don't have the funds you don't have the funds.
Re-gearing will normally last for the rest of the life of the Jeep, so do it once, do it right. Tires are a disposable wear item. They wear out, you replace them, they wear out again. The cycle never stops.

·
Registered
165 Posts
For starters, what does "rear spider gears are worn out" mean?
Are they chipping? That is a fairly common problem. You can replace them fairly cheaply without re-gearing if it is no longer under warranty. But you are asking about if re-gearing would affect the warranty so I assume it is still under warranty.
I would rather re-gear, but if you don't have the funds you don't have the funds.
Re-gearing will normally last for the rest of the life of the Jeep, so do it once, do it right. Tires are a disposable wear item. They wear out, you replace them, they wear out again. The cycle never stops.
You are more patient and helpful than I could probably be, giving repeat information. :) :p

So I just recently found out my rear spider gears are worn out. Someone said it’s about to blow up my R/P whether tomorrow or another 10,000 miles. I was saving up for new wheels and tires. Was going to upgrade from 35 -38. Tires are at 8/32 now but need to replace soon. What would be more important to replace? Tires? Upgrade rear diff to Truetrac now since gears worn. I’m already at 4.88.
Also, def address the gears first...

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
Ok. I missed that you had already re-geared. To late for the bit about re-gear once, re-gear right. While re-gearing likely did not cause the issue you are having I would expect the dealer to say it is not covered under warranty. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
In that case, replacing the spider gears would be fairly cheap. Upgrading to a TrueTrac would be great but a fair bit more money. If you can afford it, do it. If you can't afford it, just replace the spider gears and see how much longer you can get out of them.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I missed the already re-geared too. if you have a mod friendly dealer it is worth asking. Heck some dealers may not even notice it has been re-geared.

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
What he said^^^^
I would at least ask. Not sure if I would even mention the re-gear.....
The worst they can do is say no.
If they won't cover it under the warranty, take it to an independent shop and have them replace the spider gears. Unless you have the coin for the TrueTrac, in which case do that and stop worrying about the spider gears. But I would only let the dealer do it if they will do it under warranty. Maybe make that clear to them if they start hemming and hawwing about the gears.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My service manager told me he would install a Truetrac at no extra charge when he replaced my factory limited slip. That's with me supplying the Truetrac. They're doing the labor anyway.
Nice. If my issue turns out to be diff related, I'll have to see if my dealer's SM will be that helpful. Is this an actual Jeep dealership? Cuz if so then they probably know how bad the TracLoks are :)

Also, @txjeep15, forgot to ask since the beginning of this thread, how did you come to find out that the spider gears were messed up?

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
My service manager told me he would install a Truetrac at no extra charge when he replaced my factory limited slip. That's with me supplying the Truetrac. They're doing the labor anyway.
PM name and location of that golden dealer...

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You can try to get it covered under warranty but I really doubt it. No JK came from the factory with 4.88's and if the dealer did decide to cover it, you are not going to get 4.88 ring and pinion.

How long have you had the 4.88's? They might be covered under the gear vendor's warranty. I would be talking to the shop that installed your gears about this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice. If my issue turns out to be diff related, I'll have to see if my dealer's SM will be that helpful. Is this an actual Jeep dealership? Cuz if so then they probably know how bad the TracLoks are

Also, @txjeep15, forgot to ask since the beginning of this thread, how did you come to find out that the spider gears were messed up?
Routine maintenance and I opened up diff cover to change oil and cover.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can try to get it covered under warranty but I really doubt it. No JK came from the factory with 4.88's and if the dealer did decide to cover it, you are not going to get 4.88 ring and pinion.

How long have you had the 4.88's? They might be covered under the gear vendor's warranty. I would be talking to the shop that installed your gears about this.
Have had it for about 1.5 years. I sent it over to my tech and he said normal wear and tear for someone off-roading but I should change it.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

Ring and pinion don’t need to be changed just the spidergears

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
@jethro65 @Hilldweller

Lithia Chrysler Jeep Dodge
Helena, MT.
it's funny I bought my 2014 rubicon there and was treated like garbage, worst dealer experience I have ever had. Sounds like they have improved but they could offer me the world and I would not set foot in there. Have they done the install yet? if so good deal. If not I will be interested to hear the final outcome. Hopefully they are better now than they were back 5 years ago. I know things can change so hopefully they have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts