Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I'm pulling the trigger soon on a new bumper and hope to add a winch shortly after but wanted to see exactly what is needed for that.

Does it require a power source? Or do you just mount it to the bumper and go on your merry way?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Good mounting point! Yes you run leads to the battery. Look up some wiring videos on YouTube.
Easy to do.

·
Premium Member
9,593 Posts
Attach to bumper, hook up to battery and you are pretty much done.

The most important part learn how to use it safely before you actually have to use it.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
If you get the DeWalt 20v Lithium winch you don't even have to wire it!

J/K -- Your winch will come with a contactor, which handles the electrical duties and merely has to be wired to the battery, as stated above. Pull the red and black through the grill and follow the winch install instructions as to where they want you to hook them up.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Make sure you mount the bumper first. Then go through and proceed to mount the winch to the bumper, such that any rope/cable/brackets/etc. do not accidentally rub on the grille...

Definitely look for good mounting. Another thing, I'd consider a quick disconnect, in case you decide to either change bumpers, change winches, etc. Not a critical item.

Agreed, certainly practice (unloaded) before going out and actually using it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Just as a heads up, in case you're replacing the bumper mainly because you want a winch, there is another option if money is tight and you want the winch first.......

I have this and it works great https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-5010.htm

·
Registered
60 Posts
Other items you will need to consider are a tree strap, gloves, snatched block, really if you buy a pre-assembled "recovery kit" and most of the should be in there. I am sure there is something else but I can't think of anything off the top of my head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
501 Posts
Be prepared for front end sag.

Depending on your current suspension set up, bumper choice (weight) and winch/line choice (more weight).

You can use a poly spring spacer to regain an inch or so. Stock springs will not be happy.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Make sure you mount the bumper first. Then go through and proceed to mount the winch to the bumper, such that any rope/cable/brackets/etc. do not accidentally rub on the grille...

Definitely look for good mounting. Another thing, I'd consider a quick disconnect, in case you decide to either change bumpers, change winches, etc. Not a critical item.

Agreed, certainly practice (unloaded) before going out and actually using it.
Negative. I have to respectfully disagree. I have crawler conceptz bumpers front and rear. Winch had to be mounted first before installing bumper. There is no way to reach the winch bolts when bumper is mounted. Yes, it was unpleasant moving that much weight around, even with my friend. Good news is, no one is stealing just my winch. Check with bumper manufacturer about installing winch before or after bumper is installed.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
You won't need a power source if you have no intentions on ever needing to use it...

You need to learn how to use one and a reason to have one other than just to make the jeep look more rugged. I assume you don't know a whole lot about winching if you ask if it needs power.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Negative. I have to respectfully disagree. I have crawler conceptz bumpers front and rear. Winch had to be mounted first before installing bumper. There is no way to reach the winch bolts when bumper is mounted. Yes, it was unpleasant moving that much weight around, even with my friend. Good news is, no one is stealing just my winch. Check with bumper manufacturer about installing winch before or after bumper is installed.
Ok, fair enough.

I guess I meant more to prepare the bumper (placement/drilling/etc.), before getting too far.

I made a mistake by drilling holes in the bumper then mounting the entire assembly onto the JK frame. After some time of driving around, I found out my line/winch actually were rubbing on the grille.

There are plenty of bumpers and many ways in which to take care of mounting everything.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts