Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am on the market looking for the best deal maybe not the best brand with jacked up pricing. I would be willing to give some no namer a try after seeing the quality of the assembly of the shafts.

I am also looking for some type of a package deal? front and rear.

I am installing a 4" lift in the next few weeks on my 13JKUR I will ride stock until i get my new shafts.

Please help guys!:whistling:

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think the most convincing support will be a Woods shaft, with Adams second. But I am still subscribing because I may be in the market soon.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know how long a stocker will last me with a 4" lift and only driving from work and back (8mi total) wont wheel it until I have shafts ?

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
kjeeper knows what he's talking about, but I'd have to see more – long term – from Adams before I'd buy their ds over Tom Woods, JE Reel, or Coast. Just me. From looking at their website, and reading about em since my man above bought one, I'd say they're solid. But I'm anal, and would wanna know about the long term, if I was in the market.

Part of my reservations can be attributed to an inherent skepticism; when someone offers a product at a price that's way under the norm from other, proven mfrs, I gotta wonder how they do it. How did they slash almost $300 off the cost of a front/rear ds combo?

Yeah. Sometimes I think too much. :)

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
well. up front they dont use a yoke. it's just a bolt on flange. thats how they get down some cost. but the rear idk, they use 2 yokes.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
well. up front they dont use a yoke. it's just a bolt on flange. thats how they get down some cost. but the rear idk, they use 2 yokes.
Ah. Definitely makes a difference, cost-wise...for the front, anyway. Preciate the info. I was unaware.

Like I said, I've got no reason to believe they're anything less than what the top three sell. But I already got a JE Reel in front, and plan on going with same in the rear before year's end.

·
Banned
3,288 Posts
i always wonder. those who go with adams front drive shaft, like kj, what will you guys do when the flange breaks on the trail? it's going have to be a custom order from adams just to get you back up and running. unless, you buy a trail spare for just in case.

those running the cv style shaft that most companies sell, you could get those a lot easier. most people even carry spares.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
pluke the 2 said:
i always wonder. those who go with adams front drive shaft, like kj, what will you guys do when the flange breaks on the trail? it's going have to be a custom order from adams just to get you back up and running. unless, you buy a trail spare for just in case.

those running the cv style shaft that most companies sell, you could get those a lot easier. most people even carry spares.
I keep reading they are going to offer a front flange.

I really couldn't find any bad reviews on Adams. A lot on TW. Not so much with JE.
Failure wise- I never read of anything bad happening to either of them ? Mostly vibes or install issues and all seem to have top notch CS and fix the problem.

Ill take the risk with a $325 front DS :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kjeeper knows what he's talking about, but I'd have to see more – long term – from Adams before I'd buy their ds over Tom Woods, JE Reel, or Coast. Just me. From looking at their website, and reading about em since my man above bought one, I'd say they're solid. But I'm anal, and would wanna know about the long term, if I was in the market.

Part of my reservations can be attributed to an inherent skepticism; when someone offers a product at a price that's way under the norm from other, proven mfrs, I gotta wonder how they do it. How did they slash almost $300 off the cost of a front/rear ds combo?

Yeah. Sometimes I think too much. :)
I work in the steel industry and it is so possible to slash 300 on a ds. In reality it only takes about 120 in parts and labor for a shop to build a ds from programing cutting tooling and treating.

Bumpers kill me when I see the pricing. I could make most of those at my shop for about $150 and they charge about 500+

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
jeepedjeep said:
I work in the steel industry and it is so possible to slash 300 on a ds. In reality it only takes about 120 in parts and labor for a shop to build a ds from programing cutting tooling and treating.

Bumpers kill me when I see the pricing. I could make most of those at my shop for about $150 and they charge about 500+
There's more to the whole picture like Pluke says but I do agree.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
No direct experience myself. But the people I trust told me to avoid the woods and to look at JE Reels.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Yeah, always kinda looked at bumpers that way. How hard could it be? I built highrises for years, and can guarantee you they sell for a lot more than the cost of building em. :D

No great secret there.

Wouldn't have guessed $150, though. Greedy bastards.

overhead? engineering?

why assume all they do is slap a paper and pencil together and supply the cheapest material and parts.
That's my guess. R&D for something like that's gotta be a killer. I mean, a few dudes on a forum like this that have busted driveshafts...:nonono:

Unexpected career change for the ds peeps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts