Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I wouldn't put synthetic in unless you are using it currently. youll leak worse than jsc's rear main after the third trip to the dealer

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I use valvoline fluids for everything I can. I also personally do not like synthetics, unless it is in a newer engineered engine, and ran with synthetic since early on. I have said this before, and I still cant figure out where I heard it at, but I read somewhere that our 4.0s still have solid lifters. If this is true, then you DEFFINATLY want to run dino oil instead of synthetic.

Since out motor is what, 30 years old? I would, and do, personally opt for dino oil. I run valvoline 10-30.

I wouldn't put synthetic in unless you are using it currently. youll leak worse than jsc's rear main after the third trip to the dealer
No cool, but very true :D

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
As long as you change it and keep the filters clean, you can use purty near any kind you want.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
i ran syntetic on my old car (miata) when i replaced it i could burn out when shifting to 2nd with full tank of gas.. after i switched to normal again it had hard time with half tank of gas. Some performance difference.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I run synthetics in everything I own. I've run synth oil in all my motorcycles since synth oil came out and I've had zero oil related problems. I've also run synth oil in my past 4 cars/trucks and have had zero issues. Pretty good track record for me.....
I use 10W-30 Mobil One Full Synthetic in the Jeep....very nice.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
10w-30 Castrol GTX Synth, its good stuff. Actually just did the oil change today with odhinn. He called me a wuss when I could hardly hold the filter because it was boiling hot! >.< Nice, scolding hot oil down my arm ftw!

~Lev

·
Registered
541 Posts
I take it to the dealer,I had always take my cars to the dealer for oil change , never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Whatever you use, be consistent with the engine requirements for proper rating... Don't use 5-20 if it requires 10-40. You'll lunch your motor.

Stay away from generic brands. Use a high quality oil, GTX or Valvoline, Quaker State and a high quality filter, such as FRAM. There's a lot of good science behind the synthetics now a days too.

Whatever you do, make sure you change it if you overheat the motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts